Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HIM - Venus Doom

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2007 8:38 pm

Who all here has this? I picked it up a few weeks ago and have been quite pleased with it. It's a great concoction of doom metal, goth, and synthwave.

I'd call it metal in any case. They have really made a switch in their sound. This new album is much heavier than their goth rock of yesteryear.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:56 am

i've heard it was supposed to be a bit heavier than previous outings? is there any particular band that you might compare them to based on the new album?

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 1:03 am

Sleep
Back to top Go down

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:16 am

mc666 wrote:
i've heard it was supposed to be a bit heavier than previous outings? is there any particular band that you might compare them to based on the new album?
To/Die/For.

You can call this album a bit heavier, but it's not going to convert anyone. If you liked HIM before, you'll really dig this one. If you didn't like them before, don't bother.
Back to top Go down

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 11:53 am

mc666 wrote:

I would agree with Eyesore's assessment on the To/Die/For comparison.

Another comparison - though it might seem like a stretch - is Type O Negative. There are places in this new album that really bring Type O Negative to mind.

After having this album for a good few weeks and spending adequet time with it, here's how I'd describe it - like a mix of:

Black Sabbath (there are so many times this album just stops - and marches into early Black Sabbath materialesque stuff- very doomy)

Type O Negative (lots of the goth metal stuff portrayed)

Depeche Mode (many many times, the vocals really remind me of Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode, also they have a lot of synth ala Depeche Mode in their tunes).

So - seeing how these three bands (Black Sabbath, Type O Negative, and Depeche Mode) are all favorites of mine - you could see why I LOVE the new HIM!!!

It's not for everyone, granted. But it's a KICK ASS album for those who dare to give it a try!!! As long as you are open for something new in your metal - give this album a chance!!!!

This album will definitely be in my top 10 of the year.

🤘
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Yeah, I'd describe it as Black Sabbath meets Type O, except with the usual HIM overtones. I'm liking it quite a lot, it was better than I was expecting.

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 12:07 pm

Smindas wrote:
Yeah, I'd describe it as Black Sabbath meets Type O, except with the usual HIM overtones. I'm liking it quite a lot, it was better than I was expecting.

HIM - Venus Doom 604261
Back to top Go down

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:16 pm

I hear no Type O and very little Sabbath. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 2:24 pm

...seriously? Wow, you and I must perceive music very differently haha.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 4:35 pm

I still have my copy sealed. Can't even bring myself to open it up.
Might just return it to the local CD store and exchange it for
something I want to hear.

ult

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 5:50 pm

yeah i think i'll pass on it as well. there is already so much stuff on my to buy list that i know is heavy.

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 6:34 pm

Smindas wrote:

You and me both brotha!

lol!

Seriously though, all kinds of reviews are bringing up the Black Sabbath comparison ... so it's not just us.
Back to top Go down

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 8:21 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Smindas wrote:

You and me both brotha!

lol!

Seriously though, all kinds of reviews are bringing up the Black Sabbath comparison ... so it's not just us.
Slow doomy riffs make the Sabbath comparison too easy.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSat Oct 27, 2007 9:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I still have my copy sealed. Can't even bring myself to open it up.
Might just return it to the local CD store and exchange it for
something I want to hear.

ult

Thats probably what i'd do.

I imagine Scott sitting in a dark room at a table staring at it on the other side, with a storm going on outside with a doubtful look on his face lol!
Back to top Go down

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 1:19 am

lol!

That's funny!

I don't know - I've known Scott on these boards for going on 5 years now. I think he might just like it - as I know he likes doom. I'm not sure though - as I know he doesn't like much synth stuff either. So it's a toss up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HIM - Venus Doom Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM - Venus Doom   HIM - Venus Doom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HIM - Venus Doom
Page 1 of 1