Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal Church to release a new album

Go down 
+10
Witchfinder
nevermore
GrandNational
Sword Of The Heretic
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
Lari
Gilbert
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Metal Church to release a new album - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Church to release a new album   Metal Church to release a new album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2023 5:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
OK, so I've had the new Metal Church for about two weeks now. I was gonna share my thoughts in a review on my HubPages blog but I haven't had any time to write stuff over there lately, so here we go:

First off, I'm simply glad that there is a new Metal Church album, period. After Mike H. passed away it seemed like the band's future was in doubt for a while so I'm happy that they've decided to continue.

I do like Marc Lopes' vox. Very similar to the late, great David Wayne. Judging from the live clips I've seen on YouTube, he can do justice to the old MC stuff so it sounds like they're in good hands going forward.

I do like the new album quite a bit. Obviously the death of Mike H. put Kurdt Vanderhoof in an angrier mindset, cuz this is the nastiest, thrashiest Metal Church album since The Dark.

That said... there are a few songs on here that are absolute bangers (title track, "Pick A God & Pray," "Making Monsters"), but there are also a few that needed some more time in the oven. A lot of times, the songs sound great till they hit the chorus (see: "Children of the Lie," "Me The Nothing") and then they stop dead.

I guess the main problem is a lack of hooks in many of the songs. Mike Howes' stuff always had a killer hook that you could latch onto and sing along with. Half of the tracks on Congregation of Annihilation don't really have that. It makes me wonder if they rushed into the studio to cut this record before they'd had time to truly "gel" with the new guy.

Overall, I like the new album. Not as much as I liked the last couple with Mike Howe, but more than any of the Ronny Munroe era albums, anyway.

So that's my take, for whatever it's worth. Your mileage may vary, depending on which MC vocalist you liked better back in the day (Wayne or Howe).

I’ve been torn about this album since I heard it…

At first I was skeptical of the band finding yet another replacement, because Mike had a very unique voice and most of the Ronny stuff wasn’t that great (except Generation Nothing). Then I heard some clips online of Marc and he sounded pretty good! Then I got the album and I kinda liked it… I knew the production wasn’t the greatest from the get go, but I tried to look past it. I think the bottomline is what you pointed out. Half the songs are half-baked and have no hooks.

And just for the record, I hate the chorus on the title track. It sounds like they forced it in. Bruce Dickinson can take a lyric like “Congregation of Annihilation” and make it sound catchy (for example: Out of the Silent Planet). Marc just shoehorns it in by yelling it fast like a kid with Tourettes . It’s just a case of a set of words that don’t flow right.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church to release a new album   Metal Church to release a new album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 06, 2023 10:46 pm

I just ordered Congregation of Annihilation!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church to release a new album   Metal Church to release a new album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 10, 2023 11:32 am

The way stuff is recorded on computers nowadays makes people lazy and take shortcuts.

Melody be damned, when you can just cut and paste.

PostSubject: Re: Metal Church to release a new album   Metal Church to release a new album - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Church to release a new album
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5