Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saigon Kick

Go down 
+7
Shawn Of Fire
chewie
nevermore
tohostudios
Shiney
A Handful of Wayne
11 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 5:41 pm

Anyone a fan of these guys? I have recently became one over the last few years because a friend of mine listens to them constantly. Its pretty much his favorite band next to Iron Maiden, and Husker Du. He has become friends with Chris McClearnon on facebook and they talk from time to time. My friend noticed the other day that Jason Bieler wrote on his facebook something like its time to start making music again. Chris McClearnon wrote he was ready to go. My friend contacted Chris to ask him some other question about Saigon Kick and also said I am impatiently waiting for the Rock. Chris wrote back to him "Good things come to those who wait especially me". So this all is leading to believe that Saigon Kick are in the midst of reforming and working on some new songs. Also today my friend saw that Matt Kramer posted on his facebook "check out the new Saigon Kick page" and it shows the band line-up as Jason, Matt, Phil and Chris. I checked out the page and I think it was taken down already but if you search it on yahoo or google it says Coming Soon. So this should be pretty cool. Can't wait to hear something.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Those first two discs are great...the stuff after Matt left was a bit weak.

Last edited by Shiney on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Shiney wrote:
Thos first two discs are great...the stuff after Matt left was a bit weak.

I mostly agree but I can find songs on all the SK discs that I like.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:25 pm

You should really give Devil In The Details and Water another listen they are actually really good.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
You should really give Devil In The Details and Water another listen they are actually really good.

I agree!!! Amazing band!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm

I find Devil to be the weakest of the lot; I agree Water has a lot of good tracks.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I find Devil to be the weakest of the lot; I agree Water has a lot of good tracks.

I like Devil alot and think Water is the weakest. But all their albums are really good.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 6:53 pm

i like the first two and a couple of songs off of Water.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 7:03 pm

I only have the Lizard. Great album. I'll have to check out their other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

I agree totally...I like these 2 albums w/ Jason on vocals much better than the first two...and the David Bowie cover rules!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 pm

Big fan of the first two SK's, especially THE LIZARD. I also have WATER but haven't listened to it in awhile. Lost track of 'em after that one though.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:50 am

Saigon Kick were a great band and why where they labeled pop/hair metal? The album 'The Lizard' is a great album and I love 'Water' which IMO is even a better album, saw them live on the 'Water' tour on at one of our local radio station gigs they kicked ass live
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:03 am

manny wrote:
why where they labeled pop/hair metal?

Because their lone "hit" (although a relatively minor one) was a power ballad ("Love Is On the Way").

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Because their lone "hit" (although a relatively minor one) was a power ballad ("Love Is On the Way").

Good song too...but "Spanish Rain" from Devil In The Details is better...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 am

IMO Saigon Kick fit in more with the so called alternative bands of the early 90's then they did with Poison etc
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 am

Stylistically that band was all over the place... just on THE LIZARD you've got your hair metal style ballad ("Love Is on the Way"), a punk song ("My Dog"), alternative leaning stuff like "All I Want" or "Peppermint Tribe," and out-n-out heavy stuff like "Hostile Youth." And that's just on one album!!!

That probably made'em a nightmare for the label to "market" though. They were too weird for the hair metallers, too hair metal for the alternative crowd, etc., etc.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 10:58 am

And don't forget the kazoo choir on the first album.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:05 am

tohostudios wrote:
And don't forget the kazoo choir on the first album.

Saxophones don't belong in metal, but you can never have too much kazoo.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:28 am

They were definitely diverse...they always had great vocal harmonies too...

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Ya know, this song kept me away from this band. I did hear "One Step Closer" on the radio many years later, but for some reason, I didn't make the connection until A friend of mine talked me into buying a used cassette The Lizard and I went.......... WOW! There IS more to this band.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:12 pm

chewie wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

Ya know, this song kept me away from this band. I did hear "One Step Closer" on the radio many years later, but for some reason, I didn't make the connection until A friend of mine talked me into buying a used cassette The Lizard and I went.......... WOW! There IS more to this band.

I felt the same way now I really like that Love Is On The Way haha.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Quote :
Stylistically that band was all over the place... just on THE LIZARD you've got your hair metal style ballad ("Love Is on the Way"), a punk song ("My Dog"), alternative leaning stuff like "All I Want" or "Peppermint Tribe," and out-n-out heavy stuff like "Hostile Youth." And that's just on one album!!!

That's what threw me off for this band. For a very brief period I owned The Lizard, purhased soley for 'Love is on the Way' (yea, I'm a poser). After listening to the whole album, I couldn't wrap my head around what they were going for, so I ditched it after I put that song on a mix tape that I gave to some big-haired skank whose acid-washed jeans I was trying to charm my way into.

I've thought of re-buying it and giving it another try, but it's not a priority.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Only song I really dig is "Body Bags" off The Lizard
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

That probably made'em a nightmare for the label to "market" though. They were too weird for the hair metallers, too hair metal for the alternative crowd, etc., etc.

Actually that is what I liked about the band, and live these guys were great but I never saw them with the original singer Matt Kramer ( I think that is his name), alot of great songs.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Matt Kramer is good, but I think Jason Beiler is a better singer...

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saigon Kick
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: