Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Father Is Dying

Go down 
+10
metalken
exact33
Thrasher73
nevermore
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
manny
SideShowDisaSter
DallasBlack
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Many of you know of my dad's brush with death nearly 10 years ago when he lost his leg after getting run over by a truck. I also mentioned recently about his two bouts with cancer. Despite surviving all that, he is now reaching the end of his life. He had in recent months been losing a lot of weight. Basically he wasn't eating well and would sometimes for get to eat all together. A month ago I was supposed to visit him but he had fallen out of his wheelchair and was hurting quite a bit so we postponed if for a week. When I did visit him, he was fairly weak, but didn't seem to be doing too bad. We had lunch and then had to wait for a jump because the battery in his van died. Then we spent over an hour at Wal-Mart while they installed a new battery. I was going to help him with groceries but was so tired and hurting (it was his pain medication time) that he decided not to do it. He assured me that he would be okay.

A week later I got a text from my sister. He had fallen out of his wheelchair again and this time broke his leg (actually turned out the first fall resulted in some other fractures). He had surgery to fix it but that wasn't all. He also had caught pneumonia and has COPD (putting him on oxygen). He had also become so malnourished he could barely hold a piece of paper. He also had some obstruction in his esophagus which made it difficult to swallow food or water. They were able to give him water but it first had to be thickened to the consistency of honey. They then later put in a feeding tube. They eventually moved him to rehab so we prepared for him to start recovery. With COVID they only allow one visitor at a time (and only two people all together) and that visitor has to be tested first and that test is good only for 7 days. I was prepared to see him next weekend.

Then I got a call Monday telling me that things had gone south. He wasn't lucid and just slept. There was some theory that he was just catching up on sleep (until hospice came in to give him needed pain relief-the rehab would only give him the bare minimum so he was missing out on a lot of sleep). I got a test that day and Tuesday I went to visit. Again he was not lucid and just sleeping, however, he was moaning a lot and squirming. The nurse came in and gave him some more morphine and something to help with with anxiety and he finally fell asleep.

Today I got a call from my sister and it seems his body is shutting down. We have decided to give the DNR order. He is so emaciated if they did perform CPR, it'd crack his chest and he's already suffering enough. They are keeping him comfortable and now he's allowed to have two visitors at a time, no limit to visits. It's the waiting game now. He is somewhat lucid now but he can't keep his eyes open more than a few seconds (probably from the pain medication). My sister has him listening to some books on tape, it seems to calm him. I will visit him as soon as I can but time is short.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4597

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2020 11:16 pm

I'm sorry to hear this, brother. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil you feel, and I won't patronize you by pretending I do. It may be the natural order, but that doesn't make it any easier, nor any less painful.

Thoughts are with you and your family, mate.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 6:34 am

Sorry to hear this. It's a terrible helpless feeling watching your loved one suffer. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 19. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 7:28 am

I am so sorry hear this, I can only give you my best wishes and let you know you and your family will be in my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 11:02 am

Sorry to hear that, DB. It's never an easy thing, especially at this time of year.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 11:49 am

Terrible news...

May your father find his rest and everlasting peace.

At some point, all we have is our memories.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25645

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm very sorry to hear this. My thoughts go out to you and your family.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Sorry man, prayers for your Dad and the family.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the thoughts and prayers!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Very sorry to hear this news DB.

metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2020 5:48 pm

Crummy news. My sympathies.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2020 2:30 am

Just a little over 12:30 this morning, my father, Richard Ivan Newcomb Jr. left his earthly vessel and has gone home to be with God. Me, my sister, and my mother were there when he drew his final breath. My niece and her fiance were in the lobby (my sister didn't want her in there as that kind of thing can be scary to a young person).

Again, thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

R.I.P.

July 2, 1946-December 15, 2020
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39186

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2020 5:52 am

Sorry for your loss.

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37558

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Condolences to you and your family, DB.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17044

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2020 4:20 pm

My condolences

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4597

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2020 5:22 pm

I'm sorry for your loss, mate. Condolences to you and all of your family.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Sorry to hear man, prayers for you and your family
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 8:03 pm

My condolences DB.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25645

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2020 11:32 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Just a little over 12:30 this morning, my father, Richard Ivan Newcomb Jr. left his earthly vessel and has gone home to be with God. Me, my sister, and my mother were there when he drew his final breath. My niece and her fiance were in the lobby (my sister didn't want her in there as that kind of thing can be scary to a young person).

Again, thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

R.I.P.

July 2, 1946-December 15, 2020

My condolences to you and your family.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2020 11:01 am

My condolences to you and your family.

Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28368

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeSat Dec 19, 2020 11:38 am

Sorry for your loss, DallasBlack.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 7:08 am

I am sorry for your loss, may your father rest in peace
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 2:32 pm

Thanks a lot everyone, it really means a lot!
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Ah man, I didn't see this thread till now. So sorry for your loss man.

RIP
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9854

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 10:44 pm

Just saw this thread. Sincere condoleances my friend.

I am sure your dad is in a better place now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Father Is Dying Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Father Is Dying   My Father Is Dying Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Father Is Dying
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next