Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?

Go down 
+6
James B.
Glower
Troublezone
tohostudios
Lari
Eyesore
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Empty
PostSubject: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 2:45 pm

Do bands write timeless riffs anymore? You know, riffs like "Smoke On the Water," "Balls to the Walls," "Back in Black," "Eye of the Tiger," "No Remorse," "Whole Lotta Love," "Runnin' with the Devil," stuff like that. Hell, Van Halen and Zeppelin have a ton of them, those iconic, simple riffs that still kick ass decades later.

I just don't often hear that sort of thing anymore with newer bands. Not all of them, of course. I think Daron from System of a Down understands how to perfectly craft a simple yet catchy-as-hell riff like those classics. But where are all the others?

And I'm not talking about memorable stuff, good, solid riffs, you know. I'm talking about those riffs that'll have people pumped up decades from now the moment they hear it. Do bands make those anymore?

Or have I entered the Get Off My Lawn! stage of life? Haha.

Last edited by Eyesore on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 2:50 pm

They are still there.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm

You know who I think writes great riffs? Rage Against The Machine. OK, not a "newer band" but newer than most of the examples you gave. I'm still trying to think of a more recent band that writes classic riffs but I think you might be on to something. Memorable? yeah lots of memorable stuff out there but classic? I'm drawing a blank.

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm

I think there are plenty of great riffs in new music, but they tend to blend in too much because everybody sounds the same these days. Not the same style, but the sound of a heavy guitar is too uniform. It's less memorable when there are 2,000 similar sounding releases each year.

It's the recording, the tools, the amps and the production that lacks uniqueness and soul.

Back in the day every album sounded different, and no two guitar tracks sounded the same. But when you weed out what is perceived as "weak sounding", you are only left with what is considered "good" and thus everything sounds generic. Even if the riffs are amazeballs.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2020 7:42 pm

I haven’t heard any for quite some time... maybe the early 90’s. Nothing anywhere as memorable and catchy as Holy Wars and Cowboys from Hell.

Of coarse there has been some good stuff since then, but overall... not much that I would label timeless.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 8:23 am

I haven’t heard any.
2020 - dry as the Mojave Desert.
The 80s really were special.
Right now I’m listening to a DIO tribute cd.
I just sense how iconic his songs were. The guitar riffs.
The music scene today.....it’s tough.
Let’s face it.
When FASTWAY came out with “ Say What You Will “...that’s a riff.
There’s 100’s of 80’s examples.
2020 ? There’s not much there.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 9:10 am

There are recent riffs I like, newer Death Angel & MegaDave for example, but... Nothing that is gonna resonate years from now, much less decades.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 5:17 pm

A lot of the Cool riffs I  here now are on newer albums by old band (Saxon, accept, Judas Priest, Grave Digger, etc) ... However a few bands like night demon, striker, hammerfall, Calderon, primal fear and burning witches come up with some cool riffs..
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 8:42 pm

Start a "biggest & best metal riffs of the 21st century!" thread. And I'll try and come up with a few.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2020 9:49 pm

I think this is a solid riff 😛 Big time M
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2020 12:40 am

Lari wrote:
I think there are plenty of great riffs in new music, but they tend to blend in too much because everybody sounds the same these days. Not the same style, but the sound of a heavy guitar is too uniform. It's less memorable when there are 2,000 similar sounding releases each year.

It's the recording, the tools, the amps and the production that lacks uniqueness and soul.

Back in the day every album sounded different, and no two guitar tracks sounded the same. But when you weed out what is perceived as "weak sounding", you are only left with what is considered "good" and thus everything sounds generic. Even if the riffs are amazeballs.
I blame Andy Sneap.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Glower wrote:

That's close to what I'm talking about, but a clear Accept rip-off. Haha. Never heard of that band, though. Gonna check them out now...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 5:55 pm

As I said, lots of great riffs out there, tons of killer choruses, but very few riffs I feel stand up to those iconic riffs.

And I don't think it's my age; I don't think it's because I'm not as impressionable anymore. I just think music is written differently these days, like bands overcomplicate things. Just think about the most iconic riffs out there: they're all riffs that new guitarists could learn in a day.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 7:17 pm

I think nostalgia plays a big part in this kind of thinking. Not to mention rock music is, for the most part, dead in the mainstream, so even the good stuff gets less attention than it once did. It tends to come off as less impressive since it isn't embraced by as many as it once was, including the media.

I also think, speaking for myself, I am just so overwhelmed with music these days. So many bands, so many songs/albums, so easy to obtain. I've become a bit jaded.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2020 11:45 pm

Glower wrote:

Pure UDO worship headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Glower wrote:

Probably not the best band name in 2020, though. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 11:54 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Glower wrote:

Their album release party was at White Castle.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2020 1:11 am

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Glower wrote:

I didn't know there was an actual chain called White Castle. I thought it was only in the Harold & Kumar movie Razz.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2020 10:41 am

Gilbert wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Glower wrote:

I didn't know there was an actual chain called White Castle. I thought it was only in the Harold & Kumar movie Razz.

It’s real. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 03, 2020 10:27 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Glower wrote:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2020 9:47 am

Tony Iommi was pretty selfish for using up so many of the timeless riffs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?    Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where Have All the Timeless Riffs Gone?
Page 1 of 1