Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows

Go down 
+4
criss3o
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
spiritoradio
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 8:04 pm

troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Kyuss is one of the most overrated bands ever.
Who says?
Me, of course. lol!
Personally i think they are no where near the top of the list of overrated bands but everyone's entitled to their opinion. Smile
Don't get me wrong, I saw them live with White Zombie way back in the day and they were killer! Scott Reeder absolutely blew me away on bass. But their music is simply overrated, I think. They have some great songs, but I think they've only got about an album and an EPs worth of great tunes. The rest are just mediocre or downright poopy.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 pm

The mediocre and poopy stuff was because of the "drugs". Laughing
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Hey now! Looks like Hex is getting a re-release tomorrow. Newbury Comics has it listed under their new releases for $9.99. Sweet!

Is this re-release any different from the original (re-mixed, extra tunes, etc.)? Best Buy.com says it's already on backorder. Bummer.

I'm really digging what I hear on their myspace. Good "space-out" music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Hey now! Looks like Hex is getting a re-release tomorrow. Newbury Comics has it listed under their new releases for $9.99. Sweet!

Is this re-release any different from the original (re-mixed, extra tunes, etc.)? Best Buy.com says it's already on backorder. Bummer.

I'm really digging what I hear on their myspace. Good "space-out" music.
It doesn't appear to be any different:

Quote :
Psychedelic rock act BIGELF has set an October 30 North American release date for its cult, underground album "Hex". Recorded in 2003, "Hex" will now be available domestically for the first time ever via the Custard label.

Flaunting a sound that interfuses all the best elements from the late '60s / early '70s rock movement, BIGELF creates timeless songs that drip with surging guitar riffs, remarkable Hammond organ playing and some of the best vocal harmonies heard this side of Abbey Road. Often described as "a cross between PINK FLOYD and BLACK SABBATH" and "The Evil BEATLES", BIGELF channels all of its influences and delivers music that shares an appeal with metal enthusiasts, classic hard rock fans and vintage prog-heads alike. BIGELF has firmly established its own identity through years of developing and modifying their own DNA into a powerful new kind of music in the tradition of the great rock acts from the past and is a cutting edge, musical experience unlike anything else out there today.

Originally released via the EastWest (Warner) label, "Hex" is BIGELF's masterwork. Recorded using only vintage equipment, the album charted on the Scandinavian Top 10 upon its European-only 2003 release and saw shining critical acclaim for its diabolically-heavy pop rife with epic guitars, maniacal keyboards and rich, sophisticated harmonies laid over a foundation of hallucinatory hard rock. Among the album's stand out moments is "Rock & Roll Contract", a superb pop song with an infectious hook and great lyrics that slam a fist down upon the corporate rock engine, "Falling Bombs" with its spectacular synth soloing and the dark, power chord-driven opener "Mad Hatter".

On the Stateside release of "Hex", BIGELF frontman/keyboardist Damon Fox explains, "Whenever I talk about 'Hex' I like to quote the fans. An Elfhead in Brazil once told me, 'Without bands like BIGELF there will be no future. Rock needs heart, strength and open minds. The masters of the past have shown us the way. It's easy, we just need to be honest and do the right thing." Wow, I couldn't of said it better myself." He continues, "People today want real music. They're almost dying for it. We're prepared to bring it and change people's lives just like PINK FLOYD and LED ZEPPELIN did 30 years ago. I'm serious."

"Hex" track listing:

01. Madhatter
02. Bats in the Belfry II
03. Pain Killers
04. Disappear
05. Rock & Roll Contract
06. Sunshine Suicide
07. Falling Bombs
08. Black Moth
09. Carry the Load
10. Burning Bridges
11. Bats in the Belfry I
12. $

BIGELF most recently teamed up with pop superstar CHRISTINA AGUILERA to record a cover of the JOHN LENNONclassic "Mother" for the major benefit-album project "Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur". The album features reinterpretations of the ex-Beatle's entire post-band catalog and also featured contributions from THE FLAMING LIPS, R.E.M., BLACK EYED PEAS, AEROSMITH and U2.

BIGELF's mesmerizing live performances — boasting theatrics reminiscent of rock shows from the '70s — have seen praise from rock music luminaries such as former NIRVANA / current FOO FIGHTERS front man Dave Grohl and BLACK CROWES head-honcho Chris Robinson. The band also attracted the attention of metal guru Serj Tankian of SYSTEM OF A DOWN, who released BIGELF's second record, "Money Machine", through his label Serjical Strike Records.

BIGELF is currently recording a new album to be released in the spring of 2008 via Custard. An in-studio montage featuring images of the band recording new material can be viewed below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9ayTmTdU4A
When did Serj release their second album? I wonder if that's right? I've never heard that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 8:55 pm

Sweet.

Quote :
Psychedelic progressive rock band BIGELF has completed work on its long-awaited new album, entitled "Cheat the Gallows". The follow-up to the band's acclaimed full-length "Hex" is scheduled for release on August 12 via the Custard label.

"Cheat the Gallows" was recorded at Kung Fu Gardens studios in North Hollywood and produced by BIGELF frontman Damon Fox. The album features 10 diverse tracks of hallucinatory hard rock, showcasing the band's multi-layered arrangements, rich, sophisticated vocal harmonies and Fox's spectacular dual-Mellotron / Hammond organ / Moog synthesizer saturations. On "Cheat the Gallows", BIGELF's "new classic" sound blends strong post-Hendrix ferocity with a potent post-BEATLES tunefulness, resulting in diabolically-heavy pop rife with epic guitars, infectious hooks and unforgettably refined melody patterns that will undoubtedly find appeal with classic hard rock fans, vintage prog-heads and heavy metal enthusiasts alike.

An in-studio montage featuring images of the band recording "Cheat the Gallows" can be viewed below.

The first single released from "Cheat the Gallows" is "Money, It's Pure Evil". Lyrically, "Money…" is a philosophical look at how the almighty dollar "changes people" while musically, the track rides on a Lennon-McCartney-infused tidal wave of expression. Check out "Money, It's Pure Evil" now at this location.

When asked about the new album, BIGELF frontman/keyboardist Damon Fox comments, "Every decade needs a defining rock opera/concept album to stir the pot and get people inspired about music again. I believe 'Cheat the Gallows' is one of those albums."

"Cheat the Gallows" track listing:

01. Gravest Show on Earth
02. Blackball
03. Money, It's Pure Evil
04. The Evils of Rock & Roll
05. No Parachute
06. The Game
07. Superstar
08. Race With Time
09. Hydra
10. Counting Sheep

In support of "Cheat the Gallows", BIGELF has announced a string of live performances including a day-of-release in-store performance at Amoeba Records Hollywood on August 12 and a special Los Angeles record-release show, set to take place on Wednesday, August 13 at The Roxy.

BIGELF's mesmerizing live performances — boasting theatrics reminiscent of rock shows from the 70's — have seen praise from such music luminaries as Alicia Keys, former NIRVANA/current FOO FIGHTERS frontman Dave Grohl, BLACK CROWES head-honcho Chris Robinson and Serj Tankian of SYSTEM OF A DOWN (who released BIGELF's second record "Money Machine" through his own Serjical Strike Records). In 2007, BIGELF teamed with pop superstar Christina Aguilera to record a cover of the JOHN LENNON classic "Mother" for the major benefit-album project "Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur".
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 12:25 am

Big Elf ey!

Their former drummer Thom Sullivan is in the great supergroup Slow Motorcade. Which is made up of a the who's who of the LA power pop glitterati including members from your very favourite band Eyesore, The Zero's!

As for Big Elf, their pretty cool. Kinda like Roy Wood, Arthur Brown and Black Sabbath all gushing about how much they love the Beatles.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 am

I have Hex and I love it. Great music for big headphones. listening to music
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 11:45 am

yup yup....

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Stream the new album:

http://www.imeem.com/bigelf

Sounds great so far! 🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 16, 2008 4:07 am

This new album is brilliant! I encourage everyone to buy it. Awesome, awesome stuff! This band would have been legends today if this came out in the 70s.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Eyesore wrote:
This new album is brilliant! I encourage everyone to buy it. Awesome, awesome stuff! This band would have been legends today if this came out in the 70s.

The new album isn't grabbing me by the short & curlies like I hoped it would. I'm a little dissappointed, because I loved their previous effort from the very first spin. I hope that Cheat the Gallows will grow on me after some more spins. I'm not sure what it is as it's the same Sabbath/Floyd/Beatles/70's vibe as their last, but something's askew.

By the way, I have an extra copy to trade if anyone is interested. Don't let my stellar review above discourage you. I'm an ass-hat most of the time.

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 3:01 pm

I'll help.

I thought the album was killer from spin one. =)

True story.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'll help.

I thought the album was killer from spin one. =)

True story.

See, that's how I felt about Hex. I guess I had too high of expectations for Cheat the Gallows. It'll probably just take some more spins. But thanks for the recommendation. Didja hear that, kids!! Cheat the Gallows has the "Eyesore Stamp of Approval". So who wants my extra copy?

PostSubject: Re: Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows   Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bigelf - Cheat The Gallows
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2