Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time Machine

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:02 pm

If you could go back to a record store in any year in the past, what year would it be and what 5 albums/Cd's/cassettes would you grab?

It would be 1990 for me and I would grab:

Lion's Powerlove EP
Stratovarius - Fright Night
Panther - EP
Shok Paris - Go For the Throat
Icon - A Perfect Union
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:05 pm

Heavy Harmonies used to have an ebay price chart, to keep track of the prices of the highest selling cds. I would buy 5 of whatever was on top of that list.....
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:33 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Heavy Harmonies used to have an ebay price chart, to keep track of the prices of the highest selling cds.  I would buy 5 of whatever was on top of that list.....

I still reference their ebay averages but sometimes they are so far off.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 11:55 pm

the sentinel wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Heavy Harmonies used to have an ebay price chart, to keep track of the prices of the highest selling cds.  I would buy 5 of whatever was on top of that list.....

I still reference their ebay averages but sometimes they are so far off.

I could not find it just now. Of course, my brain ..issss.....slowly........die.......ugh.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 6:21 am

2020, and the record store is called Amazon. New and old music both available.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 am

That's a tough one. Needs some thinking.

On a related note, if there is one record shop I truly miss it is the Virgin Megastore in Champs Elysees- Paris.

This shop had the biggest metal section ever, and you could grab lots of rarities.

Too bad it closed down.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 am

Lari wrote:
2020, and the record store is called Amazon. New and old music both available.

Good point, Lari. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 8:10 am

Gilbert wrote:
That's a tough one. Needs some thinking.

On a related note, if there is one record shop I truly miss it is the Virgin Megastore in Champs Elysees- Paris.

This shop had the biggest metal section ever, and you could grab lots of rarities.

Too bad it closed down.

Ya know, in my mind, I picture one of the "old haunts" from back in the day; but if I had the time machine, I would probably hit up a Tower records in California as that is somewhere I never got to go.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6327

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 8:21 am

I bought my first Saxon CD (Denim & Leather) from a Virgin Megastore in London. It was a nice, big shop.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 9:05 am

Lari wrote:
I bought my first Saxon CD (Denim & Leather) from a Virgin Megastore in London. It was a nice, big shop.

I grew up in the smallest state in the country so there were never any real "big" music stores around here. The only good thing was that in the 1980's the shops were plentiful. This lasted until the mid to late 1990's when the file share sights and streaming/ downloading became the dominant thing.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 10:40 am

the sentinel wrote:
Lari wrote:

I grew up in the smallest state in the country so there were never any real "big" music stores around here. The only good thing was that in the 1980's the shops were plentiful. This lasted until the mid to late 1990's when the file share sights and streaming/ downloading became the dominant thing.

I miss those record shops that were around everywhere you would go.

Athens still has a huge share of such record shops and you can always grab some rarities there.

Always love to hit a few when i am there.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 12:36 pm

I don't recall the name of it anymore, but there was a cd/record shop that I used to visit as often as I could. The problem was, it was before the era of smart phones, so there were albums/bands that I didn't recognize and couldn't look up while in the store. So I'd have to take a "mental picture" of the cover or remember the name so I could research later. They had a listening station, but there always seemed to be a line.

Typically, I'd be there on a Saturday afternoon, and at the time I didn't have a computer at home, so I'd have to wait till I got into work Monday to get internet access. I'm sure there was plenty of stuff I passed over or forgot about, not to mention by the time I'd get back to the shop the following Saturday, the discs would be gone.

I did purchase plenty there anyway and still to this day, on the rare occasion I drive past the strip mall where it once resided, I think of that shop. I believe it's now an insurance office.

Time Machine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Machine   Time Machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time Machine
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: