Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Danzig Sings Elvis

Go down 
+7
manny
Troublezone
nevermore
MetalGuy71
Glower
Fat Freddy
Lari
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Album out tomorrow

Danzig Sings Elvis Danzigsingselvis

Side A
1. Is It So Strange (Elvis Presley cover)
2. One Night (Elvis Presley cover)
3. Lonely Blue Boy (Elvis Presley cover)
4. First in Line (Elvis Presley cover)
5. Baby Let's Play House (Elvis Presley cover)
6. Love Me (Elvis Presley cover)
7. Pocket Full of Rainbows (Elvis Presley cover)
Side B
8. Fever (Elvis Presley cover)
9. When It Rains It Really Pours (Elvis Presley cover)
10. Always on My Mind (Elvis Presley cover)
11. Loving Arms (Elvis Presley cover)
12. Like a Baby (Elvis Presley cover)
13. Girl of My Best Friend (Elvis Presley cover)
14. Young and Beautiful (Elvis Presley cover)

Glenn Danzig Talks ‘Labor of Love’ Elvis Tribute Album and His History With the King

Last edited by Lari on Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 4:39 pm

People have been calling him the "Evil Elvis" for years, so I guess this album was a self fulfilling prophecy. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 8:52 pm

I kinda like The Cramps.
No to this.
If I got the CD for an early Christmas gift, that’d be cool .
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 pm

Being a fan of both Elvis and Danzig, I’m definitely curious about this album. However, I still feel burned by Glenn’s last album of cover tunes. It was so cheap and poorly produced that I don’t know I’m ready to go balls deep into another Danzig album. The first single was kinda underwhelming as well.

“Danzig Sings Elvis Karaoke at the Hoboken Hilton Hotel Bar” is more apropos.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25766

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2020 11:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

“Danzig Sings Elvis Karaoke at the Hoboken Hilton Hotel Bar” is more apropos.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 8:38 am

Without Rick Rubin’s guidance, Danzig is lost.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 4:22 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Without John Christ, Eerie Von and Chuck Biscuits he's lost. That was the best lineup he's ever had.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 4:32 pm

nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Without John Christ, Eerie Von and Chuck Biscuits he's lost. That was the best lineup he's ever had.

I would agree with both of those statements. And whether it's money or ego (probably a bit of both), Danzig needs someone else in the studio to tell him when something sounds like sh*t. When he produces, records and plays the instruments himself, it shows. The recordings come off sounding terrible and thin.

Some folks will argue that it makes them sound more "retro" or "punk", but I ain't buying it. In this day and age, there's no excuse for poorly produced music.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 10:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I would agree with both of those statements. And whether it's money or ego (probably a bit of both), Danzig needs someone else in the studio to tell him when something sounds like sh*t. When he produces, records and plays the instruments himself, it shows. The recordings come off sounding terrible and thin.

Some folks will argue that it makes them sound more "retro" or "punk", but I ain't buying it. In this day and age, there's no excuse for poorly produced music.

Same here! There’s no replacing his original band. And Rick Rubin’s production guidance also made a difference.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 10:43 pm

You can see how the quality of the songs, musicianship and production noticeably dropped after Danzig 4. When he fired his band and Rick Rubin, it was the end of the classic era.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 10:48 pm

The original line up, had a bluesy swampy vibe without sounding like a third rate Led Zeppelin, it gave them their own sound. Rick Rubin knew how to get a great sound for those first four albums.

This album of Elvis covers is somewhat of a cool idea, but it seems more a novelty album than a serious artistic statement.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 1:24 am

Troublezone wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Same here! There’s no replacing his original band. And Rick Rubin’s production guidance also made a difference.

Completely agree. The first three albums are golden, after that it's nowhere near as good. This does sound a bit interesting but I'd have to hear some samples first.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Troublezone wrote:
You can see how the quality of the songs, musicianship and production noticeably dropped after Danzig 4. When he fired his band and Rick Rubin, it was the end of the classic era.

I totally agree.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Lari wrote:
Side A
1. Is It So Strange (Elvis Presley cover)
2. One Night (Elvis Presley cover)
3. Lonely Blue Boy (Elvis Presley cover)
4. First in Line (Elvis Presley cover)
5. Baby Let's Play House (Elvis Presley cover)
6. Love Me (Elvis Presley cover)
7. Pocket Full of Rainbows (Elvis Presley cover)
Side B
8. Fever (Elvis Presley cover)
9. When It Rains It Really Pours (Elvis Presley cover)
10. Always on My Mind (Elvis Presley cover)
11. Loving Arms (Elvis Presley cover)
12. Like a Baby (Elvis Presley cover)
13. Girl of My Best Friend (Elvis Presley cover)
14. Young and Beautiful (Elvis Presley cover)

What? No "Polk Salad Annie"?
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 5:57 am

What would Elvis say ? If he were alive ? About this ?
That's the question employees must ask themselves - especially at the Graceland Gift shop.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 4:14 pm

That first song released did not impress me. Quality of recording is one thing, but his voice also isn't that great.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Danzig quite a bit, even some of his later works like the industrial sounding 6:66 Satan's Child (Belly of the Beast & Five Finger Crawl are great). But he is not a great singer. Not sure how he thought he could improve on the original Elvis tunes.

Re: his career, yes, his early albums are the best. I particularly like the debut. Twist of Cain is deadly.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2020 10:51 pm

Lari wrote:
That first song released did not impress me. Quality of recording is one thing, but his voice also isn't that great.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Danzig quite a bit, even some of his later works like the industrial sounding 6:66 Satan's Child (Belly of the Beast & Five Finger Crawl are great). But he is not a great singer. Not sure how he thought he could improve on the original Elvis tunes.

Re: his career, yes, his early albums are the best. I particularly like the debut. Twist of Cain is deadly.

Imo, he was a great singer in his prime.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 5:39 pm

I loved his Skeletons album, but thought he needed a better producer/production. From the single released here, it's the same situation. Maybe once it's released officially it will sound better. I doubt it though. I wish he treated these releases, production wise, the same way he did Deth Red Sabaoth & Black Laden Crown. Which sounded much better by comparison.

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 5:49 pm

mc666 wrote:
I loved his Skeletons album, but thought he needed a better producer/production. From the single released here, it's the same situation. Maybe once it's released officially it will sound better. I doubt it though. I wish he treated these releases, production wise,  the same way he did Deth Red Sabaoth & Black Laden Crown. Which sounded much better by comparison.

It seems like he’s self sabotaging his albums like Metallica does. They truly have a deaf ear to their horrible productions.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2020 9:04 pm

Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 663

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 8:12 pm

It's really ashame what happened to Glenn after he left the Misfits and especially after Samhain. I don't want any part of solo Danzig or the BS he sings now days. He was nothing but a poser. Long live punk!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2020 8:40 pm

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2020 9:17 am

Eh, most of the reviews I've read (good and bad) tend to point out what I've expected. Poor production, voice in decline and karaoke-level enthusiasm. Some folks love it, some don't.

I dunno. If I found it cheap, I'd probably still give it a go for curiosity sake, but I'm not going out of my way to find a copy.

Danzig Sings Elvis Empty
PostSubject: Re: Danzig Sings Elvis   Danzig Sings Elvis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Danzig Sings Elvis
Page 1 of 1