Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Elvis Presley?

Go down 
+9
sam
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Addy
manny
MetalRob331
rattpoison
XYZ
Schbopo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Elvis is kind of a mixed affair for me. I love some of his stuff but absolutely despise some of it too. I recently bought a compilation called Viva Las Vegas, and it had 5 awesome songs (Viva Las Vegas, See See Rider, Polk Salad Annie, Walk a mile in my shoes, Patch it up) a lot of okay songs (Release me, for example) and a few pieces of crap (Never been to Spain-WTF?)

Anyway, I'm not really sure if I like Elvis or not. I need some outside opinions.
Back to top Go down

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 pm

He's awesome. That's all you're getting from me.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 10:56 pm

Never really got into his music. There's still time, though.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:55 pm

From Elvis In Memphis (1969) is a classic record, my fave out of all his records including the seminal 50's records.

'In The Ghetto' is probably one of the best songs i've ever heard.....Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds cover of 'In The Ghetto' is as good if not better than the original imo!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 12:27 am

Well one thing i can tell you is I grew up with Elvis. I used to play guitar for him in a tribute band hahaha. Dead serious my best friend at the time was the drummer in the band as well. We played gigs at bars and all kinds of places.

Funny thing is i was the only one plugged in. The other members faked everything, it was all for show and to get a smile from people. I was up there jamming to Elvis with a Jackson RR Edition guitar what a site.. Here my version of The Wonder of You below..

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/DeadIdentity81/music/all/play431478
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:40 am

I am huge Elvis Presley fan, the Sun Sessions that he recorded at 19 years old, you can hear the birth pains of rock n roll in the grooves. When Elvis was on and he was good no one could touch him. Combined country, blues, and gospel music to create his own unique musical legacy.

Rattpoison named one of Elvis's greatest albums 'From Elvis in Memphis" where he touches base with the music that inspired him in his youth, excellent.

Ignore the Vegas years where you can see the decline and ignore the b movie musicals, there is a reason that he was referred to as The King.

As Spec stated, he was awesome. Nuff said.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 8:48 am

Im not much of an Elvis fan though I do like his version of Hounddog and a few other classics also like the original version of Hounddog too
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 am

Quote :
I am huge Elvis Presley fan, the Sun Sessions that he recorded at 19 years old, you can hear the birth pains of rock n roll in the grooves. When Elvis was on and he was good no one could touch him. Combined country, blues, and gospel music to create his own unique musical legacy.

I second that. The Sun Sessions stuff was the best. Real & raw. In fact, most of those Sun Sessions recordings are awesome. Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, etc. Truely the birth of Rock n Roll. Everything we discuss here , metal or otherwise, owes a tremendous debt to these early recordings.

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 9:46 am

Imagine if that Million Dollar Quartet made a proper album back then. It would have been awesome, methinks. Yet another golden opportunity that Sam Phillips didn't capitalize on.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:05 am

spectrefate wrote:
Imagine if that Million Dollar Quartet made a proper album back then. It would have been awesome, methinks. Yet another golden opportunity that Sam Phillips didn't capitalize on.

I used to have that Million Dollar Quartet photo hanging up in my apartment, back in my single days. Along with the pic of Johnny Cash flipping the bird. I should dig them out and hang 'em up behind my bar with my other b/w photos.

Elvis Presley? MillionDollarQt

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:14 am

My Dad was a huge Elvis fan, so I too grew up listening to his stuff... he was the first "rock star" that I knew anything about. I was 7 years old when he died and I still remember that day. My family was on vacation in the Adirondacks, staying in a cabin without a TV, so we found out when my Dad went down the road to the store and bought the day's newspaper. When we went home a day or two later, he listened to nothing but Elvis stuff for a week or so afterwards.

Anyone here like any of his old movies?? Most of them are pretty terrible but if I happen to land on one while channel surfing, I can't help but stop and watch for a while.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:17 am

I don't care for his movies but if I am channel surfing I do tend to watch it if I happen to see one is on, as horrible as some of those movies are you can't help but to watch them.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:19 am

My grandmother is one of Elvis' biggest fans, so I heard it a lot growing up as well.

I myself always enjoyed his and I whip out my Elvis live cd from time to time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:20 am

Quote :
Anyone here like any of his old movies?? Most of them are pretty terrible but if I happen to land on one while channel surfing, I can't help but stop and watch for a while.

I forget which one it is, but I like the movie he's in with Ann Margaret. She was SMOKING HOT!

EDIT: The movie is Viva Las Vegas

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:21 am

Elvis wasn't a bad actor, but the movies themselves were. I have seen a few of his feature pictures and was pretty underwhelmed.

I really like the documentary of the backstage stuff when he was in Vegas for the first time. The name of that movie escapes me.

OK, checked Netflix. It's called "The Way It Is". Really cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:21 am

manny wrote:
I don't care for his movies but if I am channel surfing I do tend to watch it if I happen to see one is on, as horrible as some of those movies are you can't help but to watch them.

Most of the songs he sings in those movies are absolutely painful!! (The worst is probably "Clambake" -- "Claaaaaam-bake, gonna have a clambake!" Hahahaha!) My wife and I always love how every time Elvis starts to sing in a movie, a band will magically materialize out of nowhere to back him up, no matter where he is at the time. Smile

Quote :
Elvis wasn't a bad actor, but the movies themselves were. I have seen a few of his feature pictures and was pretty underwhelmed.

From what I've read, Elvis HATED doing most of those movies too -- but he was trapped in an iron clad contract with that Colonel Tom guy so he had to do what he was told. Supposedly he was offered roles in much better films (I believe I read somewhere that he was offered the part in "Rebel Without A Cause" that eventually went to James Dean) but Colonel Tom kept him stuck in those light, fluffy musical comedies.

The name of it slips my mind but there was one non-musical film Elvis did that was one of my Dad's favorites... it was his lone "dramatic" role apparently. I believe it was a Western of some kind.

Quote :
I forget which one it is, but I like the movie he's in with Ann Margaret. She was SMOKING HOT!

Yea, I think I've seen that one... and she was pretty hot. Didn't she play a girl that was studying to be a nun or something? I believe the name of the movie was "Change of Habit" or something along those lines. It's been years since I've seen any of these flicks.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:25 am

There was another documentary that was interesting was called "This is Elvis" , released a year or two after his death. It would have been excellent but they hired some actor to do a voice over as if it was Elvis speaking, and it was done with Coloniel Tom Parker as a consultant. Of course with Colonial Parker involved I am not surprised there was an element of cheese assciated with the film.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:33 am

Quote :
From what I've read, Elvis HATED doing most of those movies too -- but he was trapped in an iron clad contract with that Colonel Tom guy so he had to do what he was told. Supposedly he was offered roles in much better films (I believe I read somewhere that he was offered the part in "Rebel Without A Cause" that eventually went to James Dean) but Colonel Tom kept him stuck in those light, fluffy musical comedies.

The name of it slips my mind but there was one non-musical film Elvis did that was one of my Dad's favorites... it was his lone "dramatic" role apparently. I believe it was a Western of some kind.

I've heard that too. His 1st movie, Love Me Tender, was named something else and was already written without Elvis in mind. Once they put him in it, the title was changed and they sorta shoe-horned that song into the story. But by most accounts, Elvis was a decent actor and the movie was good too. He wanted to follow in that James Dean-type of roles, but Col. Tom thought otherwise.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 am

My mistake -- I just checked IMDB and the Elvis/Ann-Margret movie was "Viva Las Vegas," not "Change of Habit." The Nun-in-training in "Change of Habit" was played by a young Mary Tyler Moore (who was also pretty hot in them days).

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am

He did a movie with Walter Mathau ( I think that is how it is spelled) that was very good, it is dated but Elvis could have easily have been another James Dean if he had been allowed to continue in those type of roles.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 10:37 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
My mistake -- I just checked IMDB and the Elvis/Ann-Margret movie was "Viva Las Vegas," not "Change of Habit." The Nun-in-training in "Change of Habit" was played by a young Mary Tyler Moore (who was also pretty hot in them days).

Ann Margret was smoking hot back in the day also.
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:37 am

It is funny, but I feel the same way about Elvis. Some of his stuff is great, and some is just really lousy. It is hard to deny his place in history, that is for sure thought.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:00 pm

spectrefate wrote:
He's awesome. That's all you're getting from me.

this
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:45 pm

I like him, great stuff
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 4:50 pm

I like him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elvis Presley? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elvis Presley?   Elvis Presley? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Elvis Presley?
Page 1 of 1