Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
mikeinfla
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Starring Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance. It would have been cool if they got the original actor back to play to role but I think I will be fine with Ewan. I read the book and liked it so I find this interesting and would like to check it out at some point.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Still haven't read this book, guess I should get on it.

Just finished reading an article that sez the director of this flick had to work hard to convince S. King that the movie needed to pick up its visual sense from where Kubrick's "Shining" left off, cuz King famously didn't like Kubrick's version.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2019 12:34 am

Never liked the original--and I'm a wannabe Kubrick scholar. King said it best: the original is like a fancy Cadillac with no engine. Or something like that.

This remake looks flat out weird. I had no idea King wrote a sequel.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Quote :
Never liked the original--and I'm a wannabe Kubrick scholar. King said it best: the original is like a fancy Cadillac with no engine. Or something like that.

I saw the movie years before I read the book. I actually liked it much less after that. I can remember goin' thru the book like "This wasn't in the movie. This wasn't in it either.  Neither was this. What the f***, Stanley?" Laughing very hard

Did you ever see the made-for-TV mini series version from the late 90s/early '00s? King himself wrote the screenplay for that one so it would be done "right." I haven't seen it since its original airing so I remember very little about it... I do recall that Rebecca De Mornay was MUCH easier on the eyes as "Wendy" than Shelley DuVall tho. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 4:07 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I saw the movie years before I read the book. I actually liked it much less after that. I can remember goin' thru the book like "This wasn't in the movie. This wasn't in it either.  Neither was this. What the f***, Stanley?" Laughing very hard

Did you ever see the made-for-TV mini series version from the late 90s/early '00s? King himself wrote the screenplay for that one so it would be done "right." I haven't seen it since its original airing so I remember very little about it... I do recall that Rebecca De Mornay was MUCH easier on the eyes as "Wendy" than Shelley DuVall tho. Very Happy

Shelley DuVall looks effin' weeeeeeeird. Now that I got that off my chest...

I've been curious about the mini series but honestly King has never been much good at writing movies (I guess Cat's Eye is a small exception) so I'm hesitant. Making matters worse is director Mick Garris--the word 'bland' comes to mind when I see his work.

Okay, maybe I'll excuse him with "Sleepwalkers," but hell that was just dumb and goofy fun.
Back to top Go down
ChynaPearl
Metal novice
Metal novice
ChynaPearl

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Would really love to see Doctor Sleep--I got the book, but haven't read it yet...I would like to compare and see which is better--the book or the movie..8-]]
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeMon Jan 20, 2020 9:51 pm

I read the book and liked it. From what I understand they do the best they can tying to first movie and the current book together. I still haven't seen it but will at some point
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2020 10:38 am

I just watched this last night. I found it to be rather enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2020 7:24 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

Shelley DuVall looks effin' weeeeeeeird. Now that I got that off my chest...

I've been curious about the mini series but honestly King has never been much good at writing movies (I guess Cat's Eye is a small exception) so I'm hesitant. Making matters worse is director Mick Garris--the word 'bland' comes to mind when I see his work.

Okay, maybe I'll excuse him with "Sleepwalkers," but hell that was just dumb and goofy fun.

Haven't seen Doctor Sleep, but by accounts it was.... mediocre....

Don't bother with the mini-series. BORING. Exposition, more exposition, a bit MORE exposition, and finally just a TAD more exposition. King, and his tendency to be overly tedious, go OFF in his mini-series. I know he DOGS the theatrical release, but trust me, his made-for-TV "doing it right" was SHIT!

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel   Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doctor Sleep - The Shining sequel
Page 1 of 1