Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Coke is coming back

Go down 
+7
Required Fields
tohostudios
Troublezone
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
Lari
mikeinfla
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

New Coke is coming back Empty
PostSubject: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 2:18 pm

The company is bringing back a limited number of New Coke cans in honor of the upcoming third season of "Stranger Things," in which the product is featured.
"Stranger Things" creators Ross and Matt Duffers came up with the idea to bring New Coke back as a way to promote the show, which will start streaming on Netflix (NFLX)on July 4. The third season of the show takes place during the summer of 1985 — when Coca-Cola (KO) debuted a new recipe for its iconic beverage.
So-called New Coke was a flop: Consumers reacted so poorly to the new drink that Coca-Cola pulled it from shelves after a few months. New Coke was rebranded as Coke II, and sold in some places after 1985. But this is the first time Coca-Cola is bringing back New Coke with that branding.

Bringing New Coke back is a way for Coca-Cola to "not take ourselves too seriously," Stuart Kronauge, president of Coke's sparkling business unit and senior vice president of marketing for Coca-Cola North America, told CNN Business. And it wasn't easy to recreate the product: Coca-Cola had to reach into its archives to get the design of right, and dig through its vault to recover the recipe.

"Maybe a while ago we wouldn't have done this," Kronauge said. "But we're changing and trying to innovate in ways that are beyond traditional new products. This is a cultural innovation." Coca-Cola recently partnered with Disney Parks & Resorts on custom designs for Coke products being sold at Disney's new "Star Wars" theme park, "Galaxy's Edge."

And for those of you who hated New Coke but drink Diet Coke: Diet Coke IS New Coke without the high fructose corn syrup. The recipe for Diet Coke is the same.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6335

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm

I'll stick to beer.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Hey, if Crystal Pepsi can make a come back, why not?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 4:00 pm

I mean, I have really enjoyed Stranger Things and am looking forward to the next season, but all this retro/vintage marketing is threatening to reduce it to a mere novelty.

Much like what happened to TV in the 80's, now that I think about it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 10:07 pm

Almost any tampering of original recipes is a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2019 10:49 pm

Lari wrote:
I'll stick to beer.

Sounds like a plan to me...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 12:31 am

Bill Cosby was not available to endorse this product.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 4:28 am

Required Fields wrote:

Although he does endorse the pudding pops in prison.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39559

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 5:40 am

I'll probably get some. If I remember correctly, it tasted very similar to Pepsi.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 8:34 am

Required Fields wrote:

I want Max Headroom to return myself.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 10:26 am

Proof that nostalgia sells. Thus, Star Wars. lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 10:30 am

Every time I hear "New Coke" I think of the gag from "The Simpsons" with Homer's half-brother Herb, who in a previous episode was the wealthy head of an automobile company, but who is now homeless and living in a hobo camp. He's telling the other hobos the story of his fall from grace (he let Homer design a new car for his company, which of course was a massive failure that destroyed his business) and sez "The critics called it the worst idea since New Coke!" and one of the other bums pipes up "Hey, I invented that!" Laughing very hard

The backlash to New Coke was pretty swift and savage, if memory serves. I remember seeing a protest in front of the Coke headquarters in Atlanta on the 6 o'clock news, where the crowd was pouring cans of New Coke out into the gutter. My parents were like, "Remember when people used to protest about important stuff?" Haha. We usually drank store brand cola anyway so it didn't make much diff to me at the time.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Maybe someone cool and popular could get them to start making OK Soda again. man was that awesome!

It tasted like those graveyards you made as kids where you put pepsi and rootbeer and sprite and Orange Crush and whatever together. Yum.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 10:42 am

Ha, cool when I was 10, now, not so much. I don't even drink soda anyways so I don't care.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 11:08 am

martinsane wrote:
Maybe someone cool and popular could get them to start making OK Soda again. man was that awesome!

It tasted like those graveyards you made as kids where you put pepsi and rootbeer and sprite and Orange Crush and whatever together. Yum.

I've never heard of that one.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 12:19 pm

007 wrote:
martinsane wrote:

I've never heard of that one.

Yeah, man, we called it a suicide back in my day. I've never even cared for soda but they were some mad fun as a treat once in a while.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Yea, I don't drink soda much anymore either. Once in a blue moon when we go to the diner, but that's about it.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yea, I don't drink soda much anymore either. Once in a blue moon when we go to the diner, but that's about it.

It sure is a beverage type that confuses me to hell and back. Soda fans will nearly kill for a cold can. I have a buddy that has to get a big gulp every time we hang out, and he consumes it like a wild animal before going back for a refill. I just don't get it. What the fuck makes these drinks so magnetic for others??
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm

I used to have a soda with my lunch every day at work but when the wife and I got on a weight loss kick a couple of years ago it was the first thing I cut. Now I have a can of seltzer instead. Still has the fizz, but no caffeine/sugar/calories.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2019 2:21 pm

I stick to Diet Mountain Dew myself. Little to no calories but still all the caffeine. I wish the caffeine free version was more readily available.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 10:40 am

OK Soda apparently had mostly a West coast run from 93 to 95. Give it a Google as there is as with many things alot of nostalgia chatter surrounding it. The can art was drawn by that cartoonist that penned Ghost World and apparently the push for the soda was a fairly big one, but like most things I dig/dug (the candy bar Bar None for another example) this went away with nary a blip on anyones radar.

And I have described what we called graveyards and have heard people say the same as you Corp.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 8:25 pm

martinsane wrote:
the candy bar Bar None for another example

Now that I've heard of.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28436

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

I used to drink colas and sodas much more frequently. Nowadays, it's only a few times a month, if that. I did actually get a couple of bottles of Crystal Pepsi so far. I also had to try the new Pepsi Mango, which is really good. It's not something I could see myself getting more than twice a month, though.

I do want to try that new Orange Vanilla Coke, but it's not available in Canada (at least not yet).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 6:47 pm

Orange Vanilla Coke is pretty good. Kind of taste like one of those orange creamsicles.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm

I can't stand orange creamsicles so I have avoided that Coke. Blech!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Coke is coming back   New Coke is coming back Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Coke is coming back
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next