Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...

Go down 
+20
Witchfinder
manny
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
Gilbert
Thrasher73
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Thelemech
the sentinel
glassprison
Dark Horseman
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Lari
anthrax_fan
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

"Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2019 7:19 pm

[quote="UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS"]
the sentinel wrote:
Same as it was 2 years ago- it's okay, but nowhere near as good as Death Magnetic.

Wow - There is something I have never heard before.  Senti, ya rebel.
quote]

Thanks, Unc. I got DM the day it dropped and played it in the car on the ride home. After the first 2 tracks ( That Was Just Your Life and The End of the Line), I was lovin' it. I felt more like it was return to the roots. Even though I hate that term, I felt it applied. Not in the sense of sounding like early material, but just that it felt like they made an album they wanted to make without a trend jump or trying to appeal to anyone in particular.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2019 9:36 pm

Lurideath wrote:
James B. wrote:
(IMHDO) Metallica had their time as a creative recording artist and it isn't coming back.

Overkill, Death Angel, and Megadeth are still cranking out  thrash that isn't forced or contrived.

I find Overkill are forcing what they are doing. The last few albums have really been missing the mark to me. I was never a big overkill fan either so maybe I am just hearing what I have always thought about their stuff being forced. Death Angel and Megadeth aren't doing anything new but its solid.

It could also be a glass half-full perspective. Think of it this way: Overkill has a total of 19 studio releases going back to 1985. How does a band not run out of original material in that timeframe?

Gary Holt once made note about how difficult it is to keep up the riffs and speed in thrash music. You hit a ceiling after some time with the same old song and dance. It's at least impressive that Overkill has been able to be one step ahead of the pack in terms of output and spirit.

Also I know some thrash fans who aren't big on Overkill because of the overt punk angle (not sure if that may be your vibe or not, Luri). One of them can't stand "Welcome to the Garden State" due to this reason and all I could tell him is go back and listen to everything they've released because that song is CLASSIC Overkill.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Ya' know, it's funny, I am more of an Overkill fan the last decade than I was 30 years ago b/c of their recent output. I give them the edge over the old guard (The Big 4) in terms of, as you said, Shay, "spirit and output" in recent years. I feel the same about Saxon. I know I said this before, but it's like they have had a second wind or rebirth if you will. There are a ton of bands I loved back in the 1980's whose recent albums (last decade or so) haven't blown me away. Scorpions, Maiden, Kiss, AC/DC, Ozzy are a few that come to mind; while Saxon, Overkill, Stryper, Priest, Purple, and L.A. Guns are consistently delivering new and killer albums.

As far as Metallica goes, I had a conversation with a buddy at work the other day about them. I predicted one more studio album, another live album where they play "Justice" or "Puppets" in full and then deluxe reissues of the Blow A Load and Reload albums. Then the neverending "farewell/ goodbye" tour starts.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 8:18 pm

So I have spun this one a few times this weekend. I am definitely liking it more than back in 2016 (and 2018 too) and appreciating the sound as I feel like it falls somewhere between Justice and the Black album. I wish they had released this double album instead of Load and Reload back in the mid 1990's.I heard the title track on the way home from work on Friday eve and it prompted me to give it some fresh spins. I am glad I did.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2020 9:03 pm

A track came on the other day while I was out walking and I didn't recognize it at first and in my head, I said "this sounds like someone doing a James Hetfield impression of Metallica in the 90's".

After the song played a bit more, I realized it was indeed a Metallica song and it was from Hardwired. Then I said, "Heh, this song kinda sucks" and skipped to the next random track.

So that's my current thought on that album.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 1:13 pm

A good album - I was quite disheartened when I heard Hardwired, as I honestly think it is the worst single, and one of the worst songs, they have ever done - what makes it so bad is how absolutely boring and paint-by-numbers it is - nothing in the way of interesting vocal melodies, the most cringe worthy chorus they have ever written - just plain bad. I go for substance over style (which is why I like every era of Metallica) and that song definitely only has the latter to speak of.

Then I heard Moth Into Flame and I knew they would deliver - that song is awesome and probably my favourite. I will agree that the album is too long, it could definitely be trimmed of some fat - but hasn't that been the case with pretty much all popular recording artists the last 20+ years? I think Load/ReLoad, as much as I like them, are worse offenders in this category - they were the first Metallica albums I heard that contained songs I would categorize as non-essential.

Sometimes I feel like people spend too much time on the narrative of how Metallica supposedly record their music and their own theories about why they do this and that, instead of just listening to the music and judging it on those merits alone - or just ignoring the band altogether.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9854

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:35 pm

It is a very good album. One i often go back to, when in the mood for some "mature" thrash metal.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 4:38 pm

I enjoy this one, but the band needs an editor, a producer with the balls to tell them to trim the fat and cut the crap. A song like "Spit Out the Bone," for instance...

That breakdown at 2:36 and the next three minutes is gaaaaaaaaaaarbage! Someone should have told them that. I mean, the whole song is pretty weak overall, but the foundation for a great old-school thrash metal song is there. James and Lars don't want to listen to criticism, though, and no producer has the balls to tell them something sucks. So we get crap like that.

And don't me started on the cut-and-paste mentality they have toward songwriting these days. Makes everything sound so disjointed.

And Lars sucks now. Bad.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I enjoy this one, but the band needs an editor, a producer with the balls to tell them to trim the fat and cut the crap. A song like "Spit Out the Bone," for instance...

That breakdown at 2:36 and the next three minutes is gaaaaaaaaaaarbage! Someone should have told them that. I mean, the whole song is pretty weak overall, but the foundation for a great old-school thrash metal song is there. James and Lars don't want to listen to criticism, though, and no producer has the balls to tell them something sucks. So we get crap like that.

And don't me started on the cut-and-paste mentality they have toward songwriting these days. Makes everything sound so disjointed.

And Lars sucks now. Bad.

Ok, Kenster. Took us 15 years, but it seems we are on the same level finally on something. Hope you and yours are all good, btw.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 8:28 pm

One of the things I like about the title track is that it gets to the point and stays there for 3-4 minutes and doesn't waste time like a lot of Metallica songs since 1991. Every song doesn't have to be some epic masterpiece. Lars and James (and, not to get of topic, but Maiden too) need to realize that and their music would be better off in my nobody's opinion.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:24 pm

the sentinel wrote:
One of the things I like about the title track is that it gets to the point and stays there for 3-4 minutes and doesn't waste time like a lot of Metallica songs since 1991. Every song doesn't have to be some epic masterpiece. Lars and James (and, not to get of topic, but Maiden too) need to realize that and their music would be better off in my nobody's opinion.

yea, I find that to be a big problem with latter day Metallica. They try and write all these epic long songs with wacky time changes for no reason and it just doesn't work for them anymore. There are bands that can pull it off. Metallica isn't one of them. And James isn't a very good lyricist.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:08 pm

Never heard it! Didn’t Metallica break up after Justice? Ha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...   "Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Your views on Hardwired to Self Destrcut" , 2 years later ...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2