Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs

Go down 
+5
Required Fields
glassprison
martinsane
Glower
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Empty
PostSubject: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2019 2:49 pm

It doesn’t have to be a CD of all mellow songs -
but a somewhat obscure band too ...etc

I like the Only Child s/t  release, also Paul Sabu ‘Heartbreak’ CD releasetoo
Heaven “ Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door “ CD release
Icon “ Night of the Crime “ CD release
Madmax “ Night of Passion “ CD release
Don Dokken “ Up From the Ashes “ CD release

Last edited by Glower on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:06 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 am

Obscure is relative, but this debut and especially this song fits the bill based on your post.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 am

^^^^ That Steelheart debut is great.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 2:09 pm

"She's Gone" from that Steelheart album is still HUGE in Asia as a karaoke song.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Shouldn't this be for songs, and not albums? Unless there are power ballad compilations out there that fit the bill.

Most of the songs that are on the albums you speak of aren't ballads.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Well, to me they're power ballad bands - lol

I just bought Steelheart for 5 bucks on EBay -

Last edited by Glower on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 9:11 pm

007 wrote:
^^^^ That Steelheart debut is great.

Agreed. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2019 9:13 pm

The second one, Tangled In Reigns" is goos as well; but the new disc absolutely sucks.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMFCiPVOObU

Just got Shadow King and it has some good quality songs.

It brought me right back to those magical Foreigner days.

Worth 5 bucks ! 27 years ago or so.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 2:48 am

the sentinel wrote:
The second one, Tangled In Reigns" is good as well...

Man, what an underrated gem! I was trying to talk my buddy recently into checking Tangled out but he simply scoffed because all he knows of Steelheart are She's Gone and Never Let You Go. For god's sake, people, be flexible! I love the debut because it's such a smooth, inoffensive concoction going down with enough impressive highlights to keep me going back for more. But Tangled? Shit! A wicked beast of an album and a rare moment where you can catch an endangered species of the pop metal era give everything they had and more. There's so much desperate energy on that record. Hell, I would have check dates and all but perhaps I could call Tangled in the Reigns the final masterpiece of the Pop Metal era. It. Is. That. Good.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 9:45 am

corplhicks wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Man, what an underrated gem! I was trying to talk my buddy recently into checking Tangled out but he simply scoffed because all he knows of Steelheart are She's Gone and Never Let You Go. For god's sake, people, be flexible! I love the debut because it's such a smooth, inoffensive concoction going down with enough impressive highlights to keep me going back for more. But Tangled? Shit! A wicked beast of an album and a rare moment where you can catch an endangered species of the pop metal era give everything they had and more. There's so much desperate energy on that record. Hell, I would have check dates and all but perhaps I could call Tangled in the Reigns the final masterpiece of the Pop Metal era. It. Is. That. Good.

Good assessment, Shay. Yeah, some people aren't flexible at all when it comes to trying out new bands or artists; or even those that are older but they have pigeonholed them due to one song (Steelheart, Trixter, Warrant, and Nelson are the first few that come to mind) and they think that's all they are. A friend of a friend, that I have known for over 20 years, is like this. He is a few years older than I and is a fan of '80's Metal. But that's it. He won't listen to anything beyond the year he left high school. Even new albums from old faves garner no interest.
It's weird b/c he will go see Kiss, Dokken, Priest, etc. in concert and they are touring in support of a new album and playing new tunes and he just doesn't care. I have tried to tell him that our old faves from back in the day have released a lot of music in the last 25 years, but he just doesn't care. I have even offered to burn copies to show him there's a ton of good stuff coming out, but to no avail. Oh, well. His loss.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2019 1:51 pm

The title makes me think of those cheap compilation CDs like "Greatest Power Ballads Vol. IV." and "Top Metal Ballads of the 80's!".

I didn't know there were actual proper albums full of nothing but power ballads.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 3:26 am

corplhicks wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

I agree with ya man. I didn’t even hear that album til years later. All I had was the debut which was a damn fine album. Then later down the road I got Tangled and holy shit what a pleasant surprise it was.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 am

I have never heard Tangled In Reigns. I've had it on the want list but have yet to come across it.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Lari wrote:
The title makes me think of those cheap compilation CDs like "Greatest Power Ballads Vol. IV." and "Top Metal Ballads of the 80's!".

I didn't know there were actual proper albums full of nothing but power ballads.

That's what I was thinking. I remember the commercials for Monster Ballads compilation when I was in my teens.

Like you, I have never heard of a full length studio album that consisted solely of power ballads. I'd imagine that all the albums listed have two, maybe three songs that could be considered power ballads at best, while the majority were straightforward rock songs. Which is why I believe the original poster should have called the thread "Your favorite somewhat obscure power ballads" as opposed to "Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad CDs".
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 2:15 pm

Anyways...

Barón Rojo - Siempre Estás Allí (early 1980s Spanish metal band)
Black Sabbath - When Death Calls (even though Black Sabbath is one of the most famous metal bands of all time, the Tony Martin era is almost completely ignored, and this is the best song from that era)
Chastain - Angel of Mercy (Leather Leone's vocal performance here is one of her best)
Heathen - Prisoners of Fate (their 1991 album Victims of Deception is one of the best ever, in my books)
Helstar - Winds of War (well, it's not a ballad the whole time, but at least halfway there)
Obsession - Desperate to Survive (Methods of Madness is one of the most overlooked 1980s metal albums)
Onslaught - Welcome to Dying (this might actually be the best song Onslaught ever did)
Organized Rhyme - Check the O.R. (yo, what's up, homey g?)
Pantera - We'll Meet Again (Pantera is one of the most famous metal bands ever, but Power Metal seems to be buried by the band, or at least Phil, so I'll mention this song)
Riot V - Immortal (Unleash the Fire is one of the best metal albums of the 2010s)
Solitude Aeturnus - Shattered My Spirit (their best ballad)
Sortilège - Quand un Aveugle Rêve (1980s-era metal band; notable for being Chuck Schuldiner's favorite metal band of all time)

Last edited by Required Fields on Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Anyways...

Barón Rojo - Siempre Estás Allí (early 1980s Spanish metal band)
Black Sabbath - When Death Calls (even though Black Sabbath is one of the most famous metal bands of all time, the Tony Martin era is almost completely ignored, and this is the best song from that era)
Chastain - Angel of Mercy (Leather Leone's vocal performance here is one of her best)
Heathen - Prisoners of Fate (their 1991 album Victims of Deception is one of the best ever, in my books)
Helstar - Winds of War (well, it's not a ballad the whole time, but at least halfway there)
Obsession - Desperate to Survive
Onslaught - Welcome to Dying (this might actually be the best song Onslaught ever did)
Organized Rhyme - Check the O.R. (yo, what's up, homey g?)
Pantera - We'll Meet Again (Pantera is one of the most famous metal bands ever, but Power Metal seems to be buried by the band, or at least Phil, so I'll mention this song)
Riot V - Immortal (Unleash the Fire is one of the best metal albums of the 2010s)
Solitude Aeturnus - Shattered My Spirit (their best ballad)
Sortilège - Quand un Aveugle Rêve (1980s-era metal band; notable for being Chuck Schuldiner's favorite metal band of all time)

Well thanks to you I know have my Sunday playlist programmed. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 5:56 pm

If we're just talking power ballad songs, these are some that used to make my hair stand up on end in my teens (some still have that effect):

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2019 8:14 pm

Wasted Time is an awesome song Corp! One of my favorite Skid Row songs!
Here’s Some more good ballads;

Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Yes that Wasted Time is primo SR...

Anything from this band (dear goodness I LOVE LOVE LOVE this band), but especially this one:

And let us not forget:

Oh dear and...

Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Thrasher73

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 3:27 am

Good picks martinsane! Especially Spread Eagle, love them!
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Good picks martinsane! Especially Spread Eagle, love them!

Thanks pal and SE is one of those bands and both records do apply that I can spin through and through on an eternal loop. Brilliant stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs   Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Favorite somewhat obscure Power Ballad Bands CDs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: