Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden

Go down 
+3
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
7 posters
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Empty
PostSubject: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Crazy how I stumbled on this band (can't find them anywhere on HoM)--I was looking to stream an album by prog-rockers Ice Age. Saw this band, logo looked alright, gave it a shot and DAMN. Sick Deth riffing, chick has a menacing vocal, and it's their first full-length album since their formation in 1985. I'd love to see these guys get more recognition.

And behold, quite the crazy bio that defines "struggling artists:"

Quote :
Formed January 14, 1985 by Sabrina Kihlstrand and Nyström, who were also the main songwriters (music in collaboration, lyrics by Nyström). The band was rounded out by Sabrina's sister Helena, and Strömberg. Ice Age were initially known as Rock Solid, but switched to their more geographically apt monicker after their first demo. Helena was replaced by Viktoria Larsson in October 1986.

New demos in a progressively technical thrash vein followed in 1987 and 1988. The band was now managed by Dave Miles and Sean Wright of Nemesis International, and upon relocating to Wisbech (a small village near Cambridge), the band shot a video for the track 'Instant Justice' from the 1989 demo of the same name, receiving airings on both MTV and Super Channel. The band's crowning live achievement was at the Open Air ’88 festival in Lamone, Switzerland.

In Spring 1989 Sabrina left the band mid-tour because of managerial problems. She was replaced by Italian guitarist Isabella Fronzoni (previously in Milan-based Warhammer) and American vocalist Debbie Gunn (formerly of Sentinel Beast and Znöwhite, later in Brutal Groove), who both joined in June 1989. Holmstedt (who had originally auditioned for the same spot as Fronzoni) joined on bass soon after, sharing duties with Larsson.

Ice Age slowly disintegrated because of bad management. Sources even reported a fake contract with the FM Revolver label, while other rumours indicate a contract was signed with AVM and the band readied to record their debut album. Internal band relations were equally contrary by this point, seeing the members divide into two camps. Ultimately, Larsson, co-bassist Holmstedt and Fronzoni left in October 1989 during their Denmark tour, only shortly before they were supposed to play The Marqueen in London.

Fronzoni and Holmstedt relocated to London and joined Original Sin in January 1990. This band stayed together for about three years, whereupon Fronzoni joined veterans Rock Goddess in 1993. (She also guested in Tytan and joined Celtic Frost on stage at a gig in 1990/91.)

Upon returning to Sweden, Strömberg, Nyström and Gunn made a final attempt, replacing Larson/Holmstedt and Fronzoni by New Jersey duo Chavarini and Decavolo. The American fraction of the band wanted to relocate to New York, while Nyström and Strömberg opted to stay in Sweden, and so, by 1990 Ice Age was no more. The Americans formed the band S.I.S. (Stranded in Sweden - Nyström even joined them for a one-off gig at L'Amours), while Kihlstrand, Nyström and Larsson rejoined forces a couple of years later in Idiots Rule.

Reunited in 2014 with a new lineup.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 1:58 pm

I have vague memories of reading about these gals in some underground 'zines back in the day, and I'm pretty sure I heard one their demos some years back.

*EDIT* I did, I did hear one of their demos! It was posted on Ian ("Sound of the Beast") Christe's blog, "Bazillion Points."

Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Iceageblog

There's a link to download the demo but I have no idea if it's still active after so many years:

https://blog.bazillionpoints.com/2007/06/05/sugar-and-spice-and-everything-ice/

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I have vague memories of reading about these gals in some underground 'zines back in the day, and I'm pretty sure I heard one their demos some years back.

*EDIT* I did, I did hear one of their demos! It was posted on Ian ("Sound of the Beast") Christe's blog, "Bazillion Points."

Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Iceageblog

There's a link to download the demo but I have no idea if it's still active after so many years:

https://blog.bazillionpoints.com/2007/06/05/sugar-and-spice-and-everything-ice/

Still active, props to you sir! Listening to the demo right now and it's SICK. Pretty slick-sounding demo, too; on par with most major releases of the day in terms of quality.

That blog is pretty cool too; I bookmarked it.

Well, this band turned out to be a hell of a happy accident. headbanger
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 6:42 pm

I have a couple albums by the Ice Age band you were looking for but I've never heard of this other Ice Age.  Not my thing though.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Crazy story, doesn't sound too bad, vocals a little strange.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 8:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I have a couple albums by the Ice Age band you were looking for but I've never heard of this other Ice Age.  Not my thing though.

Yeah, the other Ice Age is a great band; this is faaar removed haha.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 2:40 am

Sounds pretty good to me. I like her vocal delivery.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Sounds pretty good to me. I like her vocal delivery.

I'm pretty hooked on the album, spun it again last night and this morning, and the demo is honestly just as good (thanks again, FF!).

I love her voice. It's unique for a female lead, with a bit of Mustaine snarl and some Doro fury as well. Menacing.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 7:30 am

Relocating to Wisbech does seem an odd launchpad for world domination! lol!

Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden 1200px-North_brink_wisbech
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Been a fan for years!! They reformed?? hmmmm... I would hope to hear a new album in the same thrashy vein!!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Been a fan for years!! They reformed?? hmmmm... I would hope to hear a new album in the same thrashy vein!!

I dunno, I think their new album is pretty damn close. Like, surprisingly so for their first full-length album ever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden   Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ice Age - Female Thrash from Sweden
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: