Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...

Go down 
+20
James B.
manny
Boris2008
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
Hadley
candlemass
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Thrasher73
Lari
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Gilbert
akeldama
Troublezone
Glower
corplhicks
nevermore
the sentinel
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am

Saxon, then Priest would be a distant second. Like WG said, "Maiden has sucked since 1988"

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that you can say such and such a band aren't NWOBHM. All three bands were in existence for a good five years before that movement hit but it catapulted all of them to a new level (to varying degrees)

Anyhow it would be Priest, Saxon,.............................................................................Maiden

Priest formed in the 1960s.

I know that, there is still the fact that all of these bands were slogging along long before the NWOBHM movement began but it helped them reach a broader audience, Motorhead too.

Fact is that heavy bands couldn't get arrested in the U.K while the whole punk thing was going on so when people got bored of safety pins and spitting at each other, there were some pretty tight bands waiting to take advantage. Although Priest were god knows how many albums in I still consider British Steel a NWOBHM classic.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Priest
Saxon
Maiden

Maiden's last few albums have been very subpar to me. Hearing it live is a completely different story. BUT you said to rank them on the albums!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that you can say such and such a band aren't NWOBHM. All three bands were in existence for a good five years before that movement hit but it catapulted all of them to a new level (to varying degrees)

Anyhow it would be Priest, Saxon,.............................................................................Maiden

Priest formed in the 1960s.

I know that, there is still the fact that all of these bands were slogging along long before the NWOBHM movement began but it helped them reach a broader audience, Motorhead too.

Fact is that heavy bands couldn't get arrested in the U.K while the whole punk thing was going on so when people got bored of safety pins and spitting at each other, there were some pretty tight bands waiting to take advantage. Although Priest were god knows how many albums in I still consider British Steel a NWOBHM classic.

I get what you’re saying. I know British Steel was a influential album released during the NWOBHM phase. I just tend to identify those bands that debuted in 1979/80 as those that mainly belong to it. The same way that most people lump the bands of the grunge era together.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

1. Saxon: The Inner Sanctum and Lionheart are two of my favorite Saxon releases out of their discography. They would have to be first.

2. Iron Maiden, I love Brave New World and Dance of Death but things really drop off quickly after that for me.

3. Priest: Firepower is amazing, but the others are mediocre at best.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am

Iron Maiden gets more repeated spins from me these days. I've come to appreciate their longer, proggier stuff of late.

Priest is a close second. I've still never really warmed up to Nostradamus, but I've thoroughly enjoyed their other albums since the 2000's.

Saxon is a band I just never really got into. I had Lionheart and Killing Ground at one point and still own a comp of theirs. I admire their gumption, but I'm just not a big fan. No reason really.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
Not a fan of Saxon really. I don’t own a single album by them.

SACRILEGE!!!

Yeah I know, Haha. Really I don’t have anything against them I just never have bought any of their albums. Maybe one day I’ll check them out. It was a long time before I ever got into Priest.

If you're looking for some latter-day Saxon to try, I'd suggest this 2-cd collection...
Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 1740441082
It's a good way to test the waters without breaking the bank.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 pm

That's a good one, Dave. I actually grabbed that one cheap from Amazon just to have in the car for a long trip.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

the sentinel wrote:
That's a good one, Dave. I actually grabbed that one cheap from Amazon just to have in the car for a long trip.

That collection paired with Heavy Metal Thunder (modern re-recordings of their old hits) gives me all the Saxon I need at this point in life.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Priest/Saxon/Maiden
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2