Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...

Go down 
+20
James B.
manny
Boris2008
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
Hadley
candlemass
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Thrasher73
Lari
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Gilbert
akeldama
Troublezone
Glower
corplhicks
nevermore
the sentinel
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Empty
PostSubject: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 8:08 pm

Since the turn of the century:

Saxon- Killing Ground, Lionheart, The Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, Call to Arms, Sacrifice, Battering Ram, Thunderbolt

Judas Priest - Demolition, Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus, Redeemer of Souls, Firepower

Iron Maiden - Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, The Final Frontier, Book of Souls

These are of course the studio albums since 2000; I chose not to include the Live albums as we all know how great these 3 are in concert. So, my ranking goes like this:

1.) Saxon - They get the nod b/c the sheer amount of output and the quality this late in their career is awesome. All 8 studio albums are excellent as are the 3 Live offerings (CD and DVD) and the re recording of the classics on Heavy Metal Thunder. I seem to never get tired of hearing them, I thought at first it might be that I have only been a Saxon fan for a decade and not 3+ decades like Priest and Maiden. But, then I realized that I have lived with the newer material for nearly all the same amount of time.

2.) Priest - 3 studio albums out of the 5 are excellent and Nostradamus is good. I give them a lot of credit for attempting a concept double album 30+ years into their career. The only real misstep in my eyes was Demolition, but even that's still a pretty decent album. Ad in a few real good live offerings and some amazing Live shows on DVD, and they sit firmly in second place.

3.) Maiden - I felt they started so strong after the reunion with Bruce on Brave New World, but have seemingly dropped down a notch with each successive release. I find that I don't reach for any of their output other than BNW. The problem is that there is moments of sheer brilliance, but they are few and far between. The other two bands just have more consistency and I reach for their albums as a whole; not just a scattered track here and there.

So, there we go. Remember, it's only since the year 2000 that we should focus on and not the whole discographies. What say you my Metal brothers?
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 9:02 pm

I'd probably pick Saxon first. Then Maiden. 3rd would be Priest.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Priest/Maiden/Saxon. I'm just not a big Saxon fan.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 9:14 pm

I can see now, clearly, how much I'm an 80's guy.
I only have 3 releases - out of all those mentioned.
Two from Priest, one from Saxon, none by Maiden. Thus my ranking.

I came very close today - buying Inner Sanctum -
Instead I bought " Join The Army " S.T
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Priest is not a NWOBHM band. They are a first generation band like Sabbath.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

Iron Maiden (I like this Proggy era the best).
Saxon
Judas Priest
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 pm

Saxon has been the most consistent. No experimentations, just pure heavy metal releases. I would rank them first, followed by Priest (Nostradamus was awesome imho), then Maiden.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 12:37 am

Saxon edges Maiden by a hair then Priest.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 am

Saxon, Priest and then Maiden. Priest shouldn't be on this list because they aren't NWOBHM.

Saxon has been consistently good to great and Maiden has mostly sucked since about 1988.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 am

Saxon has to be first. Lionheart is amazing, Sacrifice too, and they've made a lot of their best work in this millennium. They are also the most prolific band of the group.

Iron Maiden a clear second. I didn't love the last two, but A Matter of Life and Death was great and so was Brave New World. Dance of Death is another favourite (but by God that album cover is horrible!).

Priest is hit and miss. Demolition, Angel and Nostradamus weren't their best moments, but I really like the last two, especially Firepower. Still, these guys haven't kept up with the other two bands quality-wise. They do have got the most varied catalogue, in the noughties or just all-time, so that's a positive and keeps up my interest.

Not sure Priest is really a NWOBHM band really. I think they are more a part of that 1st wave of British heavy metal, like Sabbath, Led Zep, Purple, Rainbow, UFO and Heep, for instance.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 am

Maiden, Priest, then Saxon. Not a fan of Saxon really. I don’t own a single album by them.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Not a fan of Saxon really. I don’t own a single album by them.

SACRILEGE!!!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 6:47 am

The best 21st century album by this group of classic British heavy metal bands is Saxon's Lionheart. A Matter of Life and Death is right up there, too.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
Maiden, Priest, then Saxon. Not a fan of Saxon really. I don’t own a single album by them.

You should really give them another shot, especially in this era noted, I'd start w/"Lionheart!" headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 8:24 am

the sentinel wrote:
Since the turn of the century:

Saxon- Killing Ground, Lionheart, The Inner Sanctum, Into the Labyrinth, Call to Arms, Sacrifice, Battering Ram, Thunderbolt

Judas Priest - Demolition, Angel of Retribution, Nostradamus, Redeemer of Souls, Firepower

Iron Maiden - Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, The Final Frontier, Book of Souls

These are of course the studio albums since 2000; I chose not to include the Live albums as we all know how great these 3 are in concert. So, my ranking goes like this:

1.) Saxon - They get the nod b/c the sheer amount of output and the quality this late in their career is awesome. All 8 studio albums are excellent as are the 3 Live offerings (CD and DVD) and the re recording of the classics on Heavy Metal Thunder. I seem to never get tired of hearing them, I thought at first it might be that I have only been a Saxon fan for a decade and not 3+ decades like Priest and Maiden. But, then I realized that I have lived with the newer material for nearly all the same amount of time.

2.) Priest - 3 studio albums out of the 5 are excellent and Nostradamus is good. I give them a lot of credit for attempting a concept double album 30+ years into their career. The only real misstep in my eyes was Demolition, but even that's still a pretty decent album. Ad in a few real good live offerings and some amazing Live shows on DVD, and they sit firmly in second place.

3.) Maiden - I felt they started so strong after the reunion with Bruce on Brave New World, but have seemingly dropped down a notch with each successive release. I find that I don't reach for any of their output other than BNW. The problem is that there is moments of sheer brilliance, but they are few and far between. The other two bands just have more consistency and I reach for their albums as a whole; not just a scattered track here and there.

So, there we go. Remember, it's only since the year 2000 that we should focus on and not the whole discographies. What say you my Metal brothers?

My sentiments exactly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 8:34 am

Priest (probably my favorite band), then Maiden (though I cant say I like their current prog metal approach, Book of Souls was pretty good). Only Saxon album I own is Denim and Leather, which is good, but I wouldnt know where to go from there (I used to own Lionheart, but for some reason it didnt click with me at the time).
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 am

Thanks for the great responses brothers, As always, a lot of good thoughts and opinions. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on Priest as NWOBHM. Haha. I have always associated them with the second wave b/c they were so prominent in the movement and so influential (look and sound) to so many other bands (from all nations). Also, when the term was coined by a Sounds journalist to describe the rise of new British Metal bands of the mid to late 1970's that's pretty much describing Priest right there, So, that's my reasoning.

That Candlemass is a smart guy! I like him. Smile

I am a bit surprised at how many of our regulars here don't indulge more on Saxon. It's never to late to jump in.

Thanks again, guys.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Saxon, Priest, then Maiden. Maiden has been coasting for quite some time now.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 4:22 pm

I've never heard any Saxon song that blew me away.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Priest shouldn't be on this list because they aren't NWOBHM.

True.

Although I do remember someone here once said he considers British Steel to be NWOBHM, but none of the albums before or after it. Strange.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Priest shouldn't be on this list because they aren't NWOBHM.

True.

Although I do remember someone here once said he considers British Steel to be NWOBHM, but none of the albums before or after it. Strange.
Sabbath's first two Dio era albums certainly rode that NWOBHM wave quite alright.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Thrasher73 wrote:
Not a fan of Saxon really. I don’t own a single album by them.

SACRILEGE!!!

Yeah I know, Haha. Really I don’t have anything against them I just never have bought any of their albums. Maybe one day I’ll check them out. It was a long time before I ever got into Priest.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 10:06 pm

I don't think that you can say such and such a band aren't NWOBHM. All three bands were in existence for a good five years before that movement hit but it catapulted all of them to a new level (to varying degrees)

Anyhow it would be Priest, Saxon,.............................................................................Maiden
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 3:15 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I don't think that you can say such and such a band aren't NWOBHM. All three bands were in existence for a good five years before that movement hit but it catapulted all of them to a new level (to varying degrees)

Anyhow it would be Priest, Saxon,.............................................................................Maiden

Priest formed in the 1960s.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 am

I love Iron Maiden's output since the 2000's, a band that at this point has a lengthy recording career, has moved forward with a more prog influences finding their way into their newest songs.

As far as consistency, I would say Saxon. Their late 80's and early 90's they seemed to have had a musical identity crisis, til they found their way back and the band has been releasing killer material that is just as good, if not better than some of their classic material.

Judas Priest, I love Judas Priest, a major major fan, but 'Demolition' was a disaster, 'Nostradamus' is not horrible, actually its a good album, but not a great album. I admire that this many decades into their career they are willing to try something new, but I felt that overall as an album it did not work.

So my list would be Iron Maiden, Saxon and Judas Priest.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...   Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rank These 3 NWOBHM Bands...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next