Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire

Go down 
+5
nevermore
tohostudios
kethdredd
Witchfinder
Big Rich
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Empty
PostSubject: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 am

I mentioned this record in another thread recently and Freddy commented on it so here goes....

These guys were big in the Western PA and Western NY clubs in the late 80s and even though I was too young to go to those clubs, word got out about them in the area. Most of my friends owned this album. I'm still baffled at how this only went gold. This is easily one of the best records of the era and the only album I can say I LOVE every song on.

Discuss.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Big Rich wrote:
I mentioned this record in another thread recently and Freddy commented on it so here goes....

These guys were big in the Western PA and Western NY clubs in the late 80s and even though I was too young to go to those clubs, word got out about them in the area. Most of my friends owned this album. I'm still baffled at how this only went gold. This is easily one of the best records of the era and the only album I can say I LOVE every song on.

Discuss.  

I love this album! It's absolutely top grade sleazy hard rock and one of my favorites from 1988.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 2:39 pm

Their whole catalog is great, they continued making music long after it ceased to be popular.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 5:14 pm

I love Cool From The Wire but to me nothing else the band released before or after even comes close.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 6:58 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I love Cool From The Wire but to me nothing else the band released before or after even comes close.

Cool From The Wire is a great album. I liked Turn Of The Screw just as much if not more.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

I have "Turn Of The Screw", "One Bad Leg" and a couple other ones but in my opinion Wire is way better than anything else I've heard from the band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 7:29 pm

I need to check into this band. I don't think I've ever heard one song from them.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm

007 wrote:
I need to check into this band. I don't think I've ever heard one song from them.

Oh man are you missing out.  Cool From The Wire is a sleazy metal classic.  Think Bon Scott-era AC/DC with more sleaze.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Neither of those sound familiar but are really good tunes. And man, does that singer sound like Bon Scott, especially on that first tune.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 pm

The whole album sounds like that.  I'd definitely recommend picking up "Cool From The Wire" and it's actually not too pricey.

This is probably the closest thing they ever had to "a hit".  I used to hear this song on local FM rock stations back in the day:

Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 9:59 pm

Some of their other stuff is good, but not like this record.

Another good one.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeFri Dec 28, 2018 11:31 pm

I know I am late to the party on these guys (as I just got this and the Bootlegs disc a few months back) but this is one monster of an album. I knew 2 of the tracks going in (Ruby and Get Off) from MTV back in the day; but the whole album is awesome. All killer! No filler!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 12:57 am

I have several albums from these guys (four to be exact). While I've enjoyed them all, I agree with Toho that Cool From The Wire is the cream of the crop.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 7:47 am

I bought the record for “ Put a Spell on You “.
I see the band - more like Rhino Bucket.
I did see them live - as the headliner - during ‘the wire’ tour -
We’re they signed by Atlantic ?
Anyways, 400 packed people were there. It was okay.
They weren’t destined to a higher level. That was obvious.

Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 9:06 am

BTW, is every song on this album about groupies?
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 9:10 am

Glower wrote:
I bought the record for “ Put a Spell on You “.
I see the band - more like Rhino Bucket.
I did see them live - as the headliner - during ‘the wire’ tour -
We’re they signed by Atlantic ?
Anyways, 400 packed people were there. It was okay.
They weren’t destined to a higher level. That was obvious.

It's cool you got to see them.
Yes, they were signed to Atlantic.
True, they probably weren't destined for mega stardom, but this album is their shining achievement. I view this platter the way I see the Sleeze Beez " Screwed Blued and Tattoed" and Tora Tora's "Surprise Attack" albums. Awesome and fun from start to finish, but nothing that was going to change the landscape of music at the time.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 9:24 am

Big Rich wrote:
BTW, is every song on this album about groupies?

Maybe? I figured it was just chicks in general. Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 9:32 am

Like Toho said, this disc isn't crazy expensive. It routinely sells for $10 and under new or used on the bay and Amazon. The rest of their discography is quite pricey though.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 12:21 pm

I'm going to have to give this album a spin. It's been awhile since I've played it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire   Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dirty Looks - Cool From The Wire
Page 1 of 1