Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising

Go down 
+5
Shawn Of Fire
Lurideath
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
7thSecond
9 posters
AuthorMessage
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Empty
PostSubject: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I've been playing a lot of Vengeance Rising lately. In fact I just made a new playlist on my phone titled "Good Versus Evil" where I put my favorite VR songs and my favorite Venom songs on a playlist together. I've noticed that I really like the last two albums from Vengeance (Roger) Rising much more than the first two. Am I crazy? Everywhere and everything I've read seems to put the first two albums as much better and the true classics.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 11:46 pm

All four albums have their strengths and weaknesses... but I usually always tend to go for the last two (and occasionally Once Dead).

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 am

I've always loved all four VR and Released Upon The Earth is criminally underrated.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 3:30 pm

There are hit and miss songs on all 4 of those albums in my opinion. I hold Human Sacrifice in high regards though because the impact it had in metal period and how that album spoke to me. Once Dead was really good but it was different to Human Sacrifice. I was expecting HS part 2!! But I still like it. Destruction Comes is quite bland but there are a few stand-out tracks on it. I liked when he started growling but HATED his whiney ass voice on some of the other tracks. Released Upon the Earth had some really great songs but I would say half of them sucked. Just my opinion though.

Good call on the Venom!!!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 pm

I have not listened to VR in so long, I'd have to revisit it all to have any base for comparison.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12614

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 9:19 am

Listened to some the other day, and then did the 2 Die Happy things afterwards.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 2:21 pm

I thought the two most recent ones were the strongest.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 pm

Released Upon the Earth is my favorite VR album and it has my all time favorite VR song, Tion!

I think his voice was at best in that album too. I've always loved Among the Dead in Once Dead because you could hear his actual voice and his style in Released Upon the Earth kinda combined that with harsher vocals in some songs.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 3:43 am

I've always liked the Destruction Comes album. It's probably my favorite. The only downside is the rhythm guitar tone...
I used to listen to the cassette back in the day while playing Sega Genesis. And the drums are off the hook! I really liked Chris Hyde's high energy performance. I like the drums to sound natural with minimal effects and production.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Yeah, Chris Hyde was really great.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Listened to the 3rd and 4th VR today on Spotify...could only get about halfway through both....so boring.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 12:16 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Listened to the 3rd and 4th VR today on Spotify...could only get about halfway through both....so boring.

I'm surprised you say that considering your recent praise for a repetitive one trick pony band like Deicide. At least Roger switched up his vocals.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 4:53 am

The first two are classic. I like a few songs off the Roger Rising albums.Once Dead will always be my favorite VR album.They were tight on that one.Love the crunch on it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 10:33 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
The first two are classic. I like a few songs off the Roger Rising albums.Once Dead will always be my favorite VR album.They were tight on that one.Love the crunch on it.

Yep. It had some classic crunch tone!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 10:47 am

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'm surprised you say that considering your recent praise for a repetitive one trick pony band like Deicide. At least Roger switched up his vocals.

If by "one-trick" you mean dynamics, clever arrangements and energy, then yeah.

Those VR songs rode the same couple riffs into the ground. The two before them were so much better.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Deicide are FAR better than VR ever were. No contest.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

If by "one-trick" you mean dynamics, clever arrangements and energy, then yeah.

Those VR songs rode the same couple riffs into the ground. The two before them were so much better.

I guess we hear Deicide differently... to me, they are run of the mill Florida death metal. When I use the term dynamic, I think of Death's Human album or Covenant era Morbid Angel.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Deicide are FAR better than VR ever were.  No contest.

I wasn't trying to compare them. I was just curious about his opinion that VR's last two albums are boring. Plus VR were not death metal. They just dabbled with it on Released Upon the Earth.

Last edited by Troublezone on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I guess we hear Deicide differently... to me, they are run of the mill Florida death metal. When I use the term dynamic, I think of Death's Human album or Covenant era Morbid Angel.

I prefer those over Deicide as well.
Back to top Go down
Rami Airola
Metal student
Metal student
Rami Airola

Number of posts : 175

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 3:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Those VR songs rode the same couple riffs into the ground.

As much as I love both of those albums I have to say you could take quite a few songs from those albums and make them into an EP titled "Identical First 5 Seconds Compilation" Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising    Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vengeance Rising vs. Roger Rising
Page 1 of 1