Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discovering new music and aging

Go down 
+19
Hadley
Citanul
the sentinel
Witchfinder
Thrasher73
A Handful of Wayne
bgsully
Troublezone
glassprison
Eyesore
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
nevermore
Lari
scottmitchell74
Wrecked Neck
Shawn Of Fire
Required Fields
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Discovering new music and aging Empty
PostSubject: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 10:03 am

I was reading an online study today, and it says the average person stops looking for new music at around the age of 32-35. I am 32, and turn 33 in two weeks.

I was discussing something similar with someone I know not long ago. He is in his 50s, and Avenged Sevenfold (yes, I know, most people here hate them with a passion) is one of his favorite bands. They didn't release their debut until the early 2000s, and he was beyond that age range at the time. He has come across people who only listen to what they grew up with in other genres, such as country; they'll listen to old school country, but won't touch more recent country with a ten foot pole. I am sure you'll meet people whose preferences lean towards jazz or rap who fall into this category, too.

I doubt it's a genre specific thing, but I was talking to some other metalheads on another board I used to post at years ago, and he had recently been talking to metalheads he knew from high school and college. Most, if not all, people he knew who were into metal when they were growing up still listen to at least some metal, but only the stuff they grew up with. None of them knew anything about what was going on with the world of metal at that time, and even the bands they grew up worshipping, they haven't heard their newer albums, and have no desire to do so. I have no idea if these people listen to newer music in other genres (he didn't say), but in metal, they'll listen only to what they grew up with. (In the cases of some bands, they're better off not knowing what happened, but many of them who are still putting out albums have released some great new music in recent years.)

I wonder if this is why at the local shows by bands that aren't bands who've been around forever, I almost never see people over their 30s? For example, there is a guy who I have seen at stores who I have never introduced myself to, but he is about 60 and I have seen him wearing shirts of Arch Enemy, Megadeth, and Pantera. He would probably have been in his late 30s/early 40s when Arch Enemy released their debut. Yet I've never seen him at the local shows. I have heard people say that they get uncomfortable being around certain crowds, yet the vast majority of metal shows not involving bigger names (Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc.) are 18+/19+/21+, or whatever the drinking age in the area is. But when I have seen more famous bands who've been around for longer, such as Slayer, Judas Priest, etc., I've seen tons of people in their 40s and 50s at their shows.

I can't see myself, when I'm 60 (if I live to be that old, LOL), not wanting to discover new metal bands. Or discover some bands from the past (and/or what is now present) that I may have missed. I listen to largely 80s thrash and 90s death metal, but there's a lot of new stuff I love now. I plan on attending shows (if they come here) by metal bands, whether they be newer bands or older bands when I'm a senior citizen.

Of course, a lot of people when they're 32-35 are parents, and raising children takes away from their time to check out newer bands, or even new releases by bands they regularly listen to. Of course, I'm single, and not a parent, so I do have the time to look more into new bands. Then again, I know people who were parents in their early 20s who still looked into checking out new music. They would be about my age currently, so I have no idea if they'll stop or if they'll continue.

For those of you here, do any of the metalheads you grew up with listen to newer bands, or even the newer albums by the old guard, or do they just stick with what metal albums they grew up with?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 10:10 am

I don't bother "discovering" new (chronologically new) music anymore. If something crosses my path that I dig, cool. But I don't actively seek it out.

I do, however, dig backwards...finding things that are "new to me". The 60s and 70s had SO much killer stuff that I missed or wasn't around for (I was born in 1971).

I find myself much less disappointed that way.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 1:33 pm

In the circle of friends I still have that I grew up with, I'm the only one that really is into music the way we were when we were kids. They are pretty much how you described above, they love the old stuff we grew up with, but don't seek out newer stuff, nor do they follow older bands that are still around. I don't know why, because we were all into finding new music back then, but now they could care less. I was probably the most passionate about it, but still you would think there would still be some interest in bands we all loved back then.

Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

I think those of us who dig out new stuff into our middle-ages (I'm 44) are rare. Every year I try to find out what's new and cool. I don't find as much as I used to, but I'd day 5-10 bands per year pop up that earn my $$$, and I still want to hear the new stuff from bands I was into in the 80s and 90s.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 4:00 pm

No time when you got kids.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 4:26 pm

I don't think it's as much age as it is time. Especially when you're trying to juggle your job, and/or school, kids, mortgages, etc. You may not have as much time to constantly seek out new bands.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 4:30 pm

nevermore wrote:
I don't think it's as much age as it is time. Especially when you're trying to juggle your job, and/or school, kids, mortgages, etc. You may not have as much time to constantly seek out new bands.

That's one thing I was thinking of, and is true for some people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't bother "discovering" new (chronologically new) music anymore. If something crosses my path that I dig, cool. But I don't actively seek it out.

I do, however, dig backwards...finding things that are "new to me". The 60s and 70s had SO much killer stuff that I missed or wasn't around for (I was born in 1971).

This is pretty much me as well. I'll be 48 years old in less than a week.

I don't have the time, the patience, or the disposable income to keep my "ear to the ground" for the newest/hippest/coolest whatever anymore. Once in a blue moon something new catches my ear, and that's fine, but staying on top of "the scene" is not a full time obsession like it used to be.

As far as new material by old/classic bands goes, I try to keep up with the real long time favorites but even then, there are some bands who used to be a "Woohoo! First day buyer!" for me who are now "Ehh, maybe I'll get it when I get around to it," and others I've lost track of, or simply gave up on, many albums or years ago. It took me a long time but I think I've finally gotten past that "OMG I must own every note of music ever recorded by every artist I've ever liked" mindset.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 5:56 pm

I must be a very rare breed then because I'm 57 and I still actively seek out new music/bands.  I refuse to become one of those old farts who just sits around listening to the same old stuff.  In fact, finding new music is even easier now than it was back in the day when I would walk into a record store and head straight for the listening posts.  Now all I have to do is check out my Amazon recommendations, various web sites like sleazeroxx or stop by here and *boom* off I go.

I will admit I'm a lot more picky about what I actually buy though.  There was a time when I'd buy anything even remotely interesting; not anymore.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 6:43 pm

I am definitely in the New Country Sucks, but Outlaw Country Rules camp. As far as new music? Every now and then something will grab me and I will investigate. But, for the most part, with a few exceptions - new Country, new R&B, new Pop, new Alt, Modern metal, etc, is so corporate that it bores me. I am like Pelata. I find going deeper into the 60's and 70's is my way of seeking out new music. Totally into the Minneapolis funk and soul of the 70's right now. I had close to zero idea the extent of my local scene back in the day!

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

I like discovering new bands. I do all the time, but I definitely don't actively seek them out like I used to. For one, I have so much music now if I continued the pace at which I used to acquire new music, I'd never have time to even listen to an album one time. But mostly I just don't have the time anymore. Wife, kids, work, a million other hobbies.

Also, though, I don't have the desire as much as I used to. I stopped by Nuggets in Boston a few weeks ago, first time in a few years. I used to spend hours in there, scouring the bins. I got to B this time, then just quickly skimmed the rest. I was in there for less than 30 minutes. I just couldn't do it, not like I used to.

So now most of the new bands I discover are by chance, just my randomly clicking on a YouTube video or something.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 6:55 pm

I try to keep up with as much as I can. It really doesn't take that much time or effort to discover new music, as Toho said.

Quote :

I'm the same way with the 80s. My quest for unheard of hair bands is never-ending.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I haven't discovered any new music or bands in a long time. I just buy new releases from bands I already know.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I'm 42, and I still fairly actively seek out new bands....lately, mostly in the doom/stoner genre, but I try to keep an ear out. Forever looking backwards; though. lol
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2018 10:44 pm

I don’t search out bands like I used to but I also think that’s because a lot of the new bands aren’t doing anything that hasn’t already been done. That’s not to say the new bands suck just that not too many have grabbed my attention. I’ll come across something from time to time, but lately it ends up not being metal or it’s an old band I wasn’t fond about when I was younger but like them now.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 3:26 am

I don't seek it out like I use to. I'm still open to new stuff if I dig the sound. Most of what I hear about is from you guys on this site or on FB.

I don't think it's really an age thing as much as it is a passion. Most people that are really into music tend to stay active in their hobby.IMO
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 3:10 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I don’t search out bands like I used to but I also think that’s because a lot of the new bands aren’t doing anything that hasn’t already been done. That’s not to say the new bands suck just that not too many have grabbed my attention. I’ll come across something from time to time, but lately it ends up not being metal or it’s an old band I wasn’t fond about when I was younger but like them now.

Interesting. Personally, I think a lot of the newer bands are far more creative than the older bands, mixing different styles in ways the older guard never did.

Have you ever heard Sons of Texas? One minute they're like 3 Doors Down, and then the next they're like Killswitch Engage, with early 90s Phil Anselmo on vocals.

Maybe not the best example, but I think there were stricter boundaries, though imaginary, for older bands. The newer bands, because the world is available to them at the click of a button, are influenced by a wider variety of music, and I think that reflects in what they do.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 5:29 pm

I listen to new music all the time and I discover new bands constantly and I'll be 50 in August. However, I am really only interested in heavy metal. I don't care about any other genre and I have no interest in exploring any of them.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Could not have explained it any better. Except I was born in 1974. Haha. I feel exactly the same. I still buy new releases from bands I liked growing up, but have really only found a few "new" bands in the last couple of years that I dig (Sabaton, Havok), and would seek out the whole catalog or see in concert. I have a buddy who is your age and loves the same stuff as us, but won't purchase the newer releases from the old guard. He won't get the new Maiden or Priest but will play everything to death before 1991. My best bud still seeks out new music but it's unfortunately not Metal anymore. Razz
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2018 9:44 pm

Another thing, RF, is that I have almost 4,000 Cd's, cassettes, and vinyl, and while it's not a huge collection compared to some (or most, I really don't know) of our Metal brothers here, it's certainly enough for me to listen to without getting bored. Like glassprison said, I too enjoy the hunt for yet unheard by my ears 80's Hard Rock and Metal. I would rather find a band from that era with the look and sound and production of that time than one that imitates them. Just my two pennies.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 12:10 am

In my case, I don't seek out new music as often as I do because I have a hard enough time keeping up with new releases from bands that I already like. There's a limit to just how many new albums I can afford (and have time to listen to), so a band I already own albums from is going to take precedence over an unknown one because I know that I'm going to like the one I'm familiar with, while I don't necessarily know that about the one I'm not.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

Citanul wrote:
In my case, I don't seek out new music as often as I do because I have a hard enough time keeping up with new releases from bands that I already like.  There's a limit to just how many new albums I can afford (and have time to listen to), so a band I already own albums from is going to take precedence over an unknown one because I know that I'm going to like the one I'm familiar with, while I don't necessarily know that about the one I'm not.

Yup, totally agree. I sorta feel like a lot of "new" releases from the '80's Metal acts lately are live offerings (Anthrax, Whitesnake, LA Guns, Overkill) and other than the new Priest studio album, I haven't rushed out to buy any of them.

Also, I had been buying a lot stuff (old stuff) on cassette the past year and on vinyl; now that I have found a few great places to buy it new and used and since it seems more accessible in my area. I have started to question how many more versions of the same album or song I need in my collection now.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 11:14 am

the sentinel wrote:
but have really only found a few "new" bands in the last couple of years that I dig

Yeah, that's me. Even then, even IF I like them, it's not always enough for me to warrant seeking out their CDs or whatever. It's usually just "Oh, that's cool....I like it." I have too many older albums/bands to dig into. I prefer to go backwards and "study the history", if that makes any sense.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 11:36 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
the sentinel wrote:
but have really only found a few "new" bands in the last couple of years that I dig

Yeah, that's me. Even then, even IF I like them, it's not always enough for me to warrant seeking out their CDs or whatever. It's usually just "Oh, that's cool....I like it." I have too many older albums/bands to dig into. I prefer to go backwards and "study the history", if that makes any sense.

It absolutely makes sense. I think a lot of us are of that same mindset. I feel like these musings I have in my head could be categories on an episode of musical Jeopardy.

"Oh, neat, new album from Band X."
"Oh, that's cool....I like it. Maybe I will buy that someday? "
"One guy from Band X and One guy from Band Z I once liked. Or anything George Lynch is involved in."
"Unnecessary Deluxe Edition of an album you already own 4 copies of across 3 different formats."
"Obligatory Live CD/DVD of most recent studio album and tour from long time fave."

I always end up playing this game at HoM or in the record store when it's something along these lines or keeping the discography complete for a particular band/artist. We have all been there in the store with the want list in hand and it's the toss up of the above mentioned items or filling in the few missing discs from Loudness, Raven, Motorhead or another oldie but goodie.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Anyone ever try Internet radio?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discovering new music and aging   Discovering new music and aging Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discovering new music and aging
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next