Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Aging musicians

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
Troublezone
mc666
TheGooch
manny
10 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 2:37 pm

In Rolling Stones thread someone stated they should hang it up due to
their age, is there an age where a musician is too old to rock n roll?
Some of my favorite rockers are in their 60's (Glenn Tipton,Alice
Cooper, Steven Tyler, etc) or 50's (Van Halen, Glenn Danzig) I don't
feel that they are too old but alot of people do, you don't hear
country, classical or jazz musicians being criticized for being old,
what is your opinion?
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 3:06 pm

lets face it most of metals big bands are no spring chckens but it does not bother me although metal fans do seem to demand eternal adolescence from a band
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 3:17 pm

how long has Rolling Stone magazine been around & not been relevant? maybe they should hang it up.

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 3:21 pm

That mas me that said that. It's not their age that I mind, it's just that...they've lost it. I've been watching lots of their recent live clips and, bleh.
Then you see a band like Judas Priest or Iron Butterfly who are all pretty darn old and still kickin ass
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:16 pm

There is no age limit in rock. Most "young" bands these days suck so if the geezers do it better then they deserve to continue. The old blues players played till their dying day. The only style of music that might need an age check is guys that play thrash or death metal simply because the intensity of the music is kinda hard to produce when you're say 60 - 70 years old. Laughing
Back to top Go down

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Alice Cooper is just as good as he always was.

Ted Nugent is making some of the best music of his career these days.

Age doesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 4:42 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Alice Cooper is just as good as he always was.

Ted Nugent is making some of the best music of his career these days.

Age doesn't matter.

The style they play has a much longer shelf life than extreme rock and metal.
Back to top Go down

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:04 pm

People that suggest artists should "hang it up" should "suck a nut."
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 5:07 pm

it would be cool to see kirk hammet play whiplash when hes got a zimmer frame
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Play as long as you like, as loud as you like! 🤘

I think some people say this b/c rock/metal is associated by the uninitiated as youthful and rebellious; while other may say it b/c they don't want to see their heroes get old and want to keep the image of them from when they saw them when they were young. Peace.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeSat Aug 23, 2008 6:57 pm

i hope ac/dc never get old Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:14 am

The Who will continue to play until everyone just drops dead. As long as the artists are happy with what they're doing, they might as well keep doing it. Even if they don't perform live and jump around on stage like they used to, once you get in the studio, anything is possible.

That's really what the question should be...

When are musicians too old to perform live?
Back to top Go down

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I don't think there is a magic number, but there sure as hell is a glaring example of when it's time to hang it up...

Aging musicians Keithrichards300x300qc5
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 10:26 am

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I don't think there is a magic number, but there sure as hell is a glaring example of when it's time to hang it up...

Keith has looked like that since 1964!!!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 6:18 pm

I remember someone who told me that they used to listen to metal until they reached 40. I told him that age has nothing to do with it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:12 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I remember someone who told me that they used to listen to metal until they reached 40. I told him that age has nothing to do with it.

Most metal musicians even play well beyond 40!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 7:14 pm

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Why because he's wrinkled up? I don't think that effects his playing.
Back to top Go down

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Eyesore wrote:
People that suggest artists should "hang it up" should "suck a nut."

couldnt have said it better myself
Back to top Go down

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2008 11:37 pm

troublezone wrote:

It's not like he was good anyway.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:10 am

Schbopo wrote:
troublezone wrote:

It's not like he was good anyway.

Actually he's very good at what he does which is stripped down blues based rock.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:48 am

I recall hearing something about some 80 year old who performs in a punk band.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 4:42 pm

The thing with alot of the "old" bands is more often than not they still play live because their a nostalgic act

How many albums have the Rolling Stones made since their musical peak? a lot
Do they play songs from those new albums yea sumtimes maybe.

Do they play "Satisfaction" "Brown Sugar" and "Jumping Jack Flash" still yes every night they do even though these songs are decades old

While die-hards might still love there new albums the people who see them wanna hear the classics

So the question is are some of your favorite "old" bands a still working/revalvent band or are the nostalgic acts

(I don't think theres anything wrong with nostalgic acts.. I mean I would have totally gone to the Zeppelin reunion or go see Kiss.or The Stones, etc.)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 4:53 pm

White_Mage wrote:
The thing with alot of the "old" bands is more often than not they still play live because their a nostalgic act

How many albums have the Rolling Stones made since their musical peak? a lot
Do they play songs from those new albums yea sumtimes maybe.

Do they play "Satisfaction" "Brown Sugar" and "Jumping Jack Flash" still yes every night they do even though these songs are decades old

While die-hards might still love there new albums the people who see them wanna hear the classics

So the question is are some of your favorite "old" bands a still working/revalvent band or are the nostalgic acts

(I don't think theres anything wrong with nostalgic acts.. I mean I would have totally gone to the Zeppelin reunion or go see Kiss.or The Stones, etc.)

You have good points regarding the nostalgic factor of alot of these bands plus when they play those big arenas you are right a majority of the fans want to hear the classics, especially for the amount of money it costs to go to a show these days, but the Stones are great example, yes they are revalvant because they still challenge themselves to come up with new material, now whether you think it is good or not is a matter of personal preference, but at least they are still creating something new, sure most of the fans want to hear the old favorities but it is nice to know that they (along with a handful of others) are not willing to just surrender completely to their own histories.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 5:28 pm

TheGooch wrote:
i hope ac/dc never get old Very Happy

oh no! they never would. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aging musicians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aging musicians   Aging musicians Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aging musicians
Page 1 of 1