Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions

Go down 
+2
Lari
Required Fields
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Empty
PostSubject: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 10:22 am

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Tampa Bay Lightning (1st in Atlantic Division) vs. New Jersey Devils (2nd Eastern Conference wild card)
Tampa Bay have been predicted by many to win the Stanley Cup while the New Jersey Devils, who finished last in the Eastern Conference last year, surprised everybody by making the playoffs this year. The New Jersey Devils have a team whose players mostly have minimal playoff experience (their top player, Taylor Hall, is making his first ever playoff appearance), and considering they were expected by virtually no one to make the playoffs this season, the team also has minimal expectations in the post-season. However, New Jersey did win all three regular season games against Tampa Bay, so they do have that in their favor. New Jersey and Tampa Bay have met twice in the playoffs, back in 2003 and 2007, with New Jersey winning both times (winning the Stanley Cup in the former year).

Prediction: Tampa Bay in five games.

Washington Capitals (1st in Metropolitan Division) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (1st Eastern Conference wild card)
Once again, the Washington Capitals finished first in the Metropolitan Division. However, despite many great regular season finishes in the Alex Ovechkin-era of the team, that has not translated to playoff success. Despite the fact that Ovechkin is considered one of the best (some may even say the best) player of the past dozen years, he has yet to take the Capitals beyond the second round of the playoffs. The Columbus Blue Jackets, who have qualified for the playoffs in back-to-back seasons for the first time in franchise history, have yet to win a playoff series. The Capitals won three of the four regular season matchups against the Blue Jackets. This marks the first ever playoff meeting between Washington and Columbus.

Prediction: Washington in six games.

Boston Bruins (2nd in Atlantic Division) vs. Toronto Maple Leafs (3rd in Atlantic Division)
The Boston Bruins were neck and neck with the Tampa Bay Lightning for most of the 2017-18 campaign for the Atlantic Division lead. They face the Toronto Maple Leafs in the opening round of the playoffs. The two teams last met in the playoffs back in 2013, when Boston won in seven games. The Maple Leafs made it to the post-season in back to back seasons for the first time since 2002-03 and 2003-04. They have not won a playoff series since 2004. Boston's last time advancing beyond the first round was in 2014.

Prediction: Boston in four games.

Pittsburgh Penguins (2nd in Metropolitan Division) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (3rd in Metropolitan Division)
The Pittsburgh Penguins hope to be the first time to win three consecutive Stanley Cups since the New York Islanders won four in a row from 1980 until 1983. They face their Pennsylvania rivals, the Philadelphia Flyers, in the opening round. The two teams played in what many considered to be the most exciting playoff series in the 2010s back in 2012, a series the Flyers won in six games. The Flyers have not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since then, missing the playoffs three times and losing in the first round once. Pittsburgh won all four regular season meetings against the Flyers.

Prediction: Pittsburgh in seven games.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Nashville Predators (1st in Central Division) vs. Colorado Avalanche (2nd Western Conference wild card)
Last season, the Nashville Predators had the second Western Conference wild card seed, but stunned the hockey world by upsetting the Chicago Blackhawks (who had finished first in the Western Conference) in four straight (the Blackhawks failed to even make the playoffs this season). The Colorado Avalanche, who finished last in the NHL in 2016-17, locked up their first playoff berth since 2014 on their last game of the regular season this year. They did it largely on the fantastic play of Nathan MacKinnon, who is getting Hart Trophy consideration. This marks the first time the Predators and Avalanche have met in the playoffs.

Prediction: Nashville in five games.

Vegas Golden Knights (1st in Pacific Division) vs. Los Angeles Kings (1st Western Conference wild card)
The Vegas Golden Knights amazed the hockey world by making the playoffs in their inaugural season. Even more amazing is that they have home ice advantage in their first ever playoff series. They will face the Los Angeles Kings, a team who has won two Stanley Cups this decade. Vegas goaltender Marc-André Fleury has won three Stanley Cups with Pittsburgh, but he was only the starting goaltender for one of the Cup winning games. This will no doubt be considered one of the most exciting first round matchups.

Prediction: Los Angeles in seven games.

Winnipeg Jets (2nd in Central Division) vs. Minnesota Wild (3rd in Central Division)
The Winnipeg Jets had their best regular season in franchise history, and head to the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time in three years. They are considered to be the best hope in bringing the Stanley Cup back to Canada. To do it, they face the Minnesota Wild, a team with more playoff experience. The Jets have not won a series in their franchise history, and hope to erase that this time around. While they are coming off of their best regular season in franchise history, the drawback for the Jets is the lack of playoff experience the players have. The Wild are making their sixth consecutive appearance in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but have not advanced beyond the first round since 2015. Winnipeg had the best record at home during the regular season, while Minnesota had the second best. This marks the first ever playoff matchup between Minnesota and Winnipeg.

Prediction: Winnipeg in seven games.

Anaheim Ducks (2nd in Pacific Division) vs. San Jose Sharks (3rd in Pacific Division)
The Sharks and Ducks meet in the playoffs for the first time since 2009. Anaheim played much better hockey down the stretch, winning 10 of their last 12, while San Jose stumbled a bit, only winning one of their last six games. San Jose did, however, win the regular season series against Anaheim, winning three of the four games. Ducks goaltender John Gibson was injured late in the season, but is expected to return. Still, the Ducks have done just fine without him.

Prediction: Anaheim in seven games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 11:09 am

Nashville - Colorado
Winnipeg - Minnesota
Vegas - Los Angeles
Anaheim - San Jose

Tampa Bay - New Jersey
Boston - Toronto
Washington - Columbus
Pittsburgh - Philadelphia

The first round is always the best hockey. And usually has a bunch of upsets, too. So hard to predict. I'll do a control set where I just flip a coin to predict a winner:

Nashville - Colorado
Winnipeg - Minnesota
Vegas - Los Angeles
Anaheim - San Jose

Tampa Bay - New Jersey
Boston - Toronto
Washington - Columbus
Pittsburgh - Philadelphia

That'll be about as likely to happen... we'll see.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 11:21 am

Columbus over Washington (the Caps history just makes it easy to pick against them)
Pittsburgh over Philadelphia
Tampa Bay over New Jersey
Toronto over Boston

Nashville over Colorado
Vegas over Los Angeles
Minnesota over Winnipeg
San Jose over Anaheim
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 4:43 pm

You're all wrong.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

007 wrote:
Columbus over Washington (the Caps history just makes it easy to pick against them)

I always say that no matter how good the Capitals do in the regular season, never predict them to make it past the second round.

Ovechkin is one of the best players of his generation, but he has never helped the Capitals make it past the second round ever.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 am

The Knights sweep the Kings, and so far my predictions are 0 for 1.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 7:46 am

Tough loss last night in double OT, but the Jackets will win their first playoff series this time!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2018 10:33 am

Who would have expected at the start of the season to have the Golden Knights make the playoffs, let alone be the first team to advance?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 pm

Well, good to see the Pens oust the Flyers. Even better on the Flyers home ice. And how nice of the asshole Flyers fans to throw their beer at the Pens. The lowest fans in the league. Stay classy Philly !
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 pm

007 wrote:
Well, good to see the Pens oust the Flyers. Even better on the Flyers home ice. And how nice of the asshole Flyers fans to throw their beer at the Pens. The lowest fans in the league. Stay classy Philly !

In the league? The lowest fans in all of sports, whatever sport it may be...
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 10:50 pm

Razz I was trying to be nice.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 am

5/6 so far in my predictions.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 am

I'm 5 of 6 too. I picked Minnesota to upset Winnipeg.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2018 2:43 am

I went 6/8.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions   The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The 2018 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs: First round predictions
Page 1 of 1