Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Better guitarist?

Go down 
+17
brokentulsa
Temple of Blood
Glower
manny
nevermore
Troublezone
Highway Star
MoonChild
Witchfinder
Heavy Metal Ninja
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
metalinmyveins
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Better guitarist?
Yngwie Malmsteen
Better guitarist? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Better guitarist? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 13 ]
Akira Takasaki
Better guitarist? - Page 2 Vote_lcap50%Better guitarist? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 26

AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Better guitarist? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 10:24 am

You mean Yngwie J. Malmsteen, right? Not one of the other Yngwies?

Anyway, I went with that wanker-supreme, just because I'm more familiar with his work. I only have 2 Loudness albums.

brokentulsa wrote:
Akira Takasaki all the way...while Yngwie is a brilliant guitarist (knows the theory, notes and is highly skilled) I always found him dry, boring and soulless ...his playing does not come from his heart and soul which to me is what makes a good guitarist...I can name many other guitarist that I think are way better guitarist than malmsteen who are not as technically  knowledgeable because they play with heart and soul...the music comes from within them and not from their knowledge...

Playing with heart and soul goes a long way with me over technical proficiency.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 10:47 am

You blokes are kidding, right? This bleeds from the heart and soul!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

No guitarist has ever soloed better than "Far Beyond the Sun" though. And it's NOT JUST TECHNIQUE. Every note is amazing and well-placed. Contrary to popular opinion, Yngwie at his best does play with a ton of heart and feel.

It's no wonder Yngwie spawned legions of imitators.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 am

Eddie Van Halen spawned legions of imitators.
I knew I could NEVER play anything like that first album release.
But many musicians followed his pattern...
But Malmsteen - I knew I wasn't that new level creative !
What a great follow up guitarist to Van Halen.
On a side note, VH opened for Sabbath, back in the day....
I always wondered if Ozzy chose Randy - for being like an early Eddie ....

What's Akira's two top album releases ?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
No guitarist has ever soloed better than "Far Beyond the Sun" though.  And it's NOT JUST TECHNIQUE.  Every note is amazing and well-placed.  Contrary to popular opinion, Yngwie at his best does play with a ton of heart and feel.

He certainly did and I couldn't resist posting this imitation by nine year old Chinese little girl Pinxi Liu

Not exactly perfect but f*cking hell!!

Back to top Go down
Aaron_D
Metal student
Metal student
Aaron_D

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 am

Nice poll and tough call. I had to give it to Akira Takasaki. As of 1-27-2018, 26 votes are in and we're split 50/50!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 10:27 am

Yngwie is a genius. You don't have to like his later albums for that to be true.

Takasaki is awesome.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 4:27 pm

All I know is that Yngwie took neo-classical shred to the next level way back in the early 80s, and almost everyone refers to him as a major influence in his genre. I've never heard anyone list Takasaki as a major influence.
Back to top Go down
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Troublezone wrote:
 All I know is that Yngwie took neo-classical shred to the next level way back in the early 80s, and almost everyone refers to him as a major influence in his genre. I've never heard anyone list Takasaki as a major influence.

Better guitarist? - Page 2 25679
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 7:24 pm

[quote="Highway Star"]
Troublezone wrote:

Rob Caavestany was highly influenced by Akira. I've seen him mention it in various articles: Old article

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/death-angel-thrash-metal-guitarist-rob-cavestany-on-their-latest-album
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Rob Caavestany was highly influenced by Akira. I've seen him mention it in various articles: Old article

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/death-angel-thrash-metal-guitarist-rob-cavestany-on-their-latest-album

Well, there's one I guess... but I never hear any big name guys mention him as opposed to Yngwie (the original). Do you think it's a coincidence that they're both asian? It's kinda like a white guy rooting for a white boxer.
Back to top Go down
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2018 7:51 am

Boris2008 wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
No guitarist has ever soloed better than "Far Beyond the Sun" though.  And it's NOT JUST TECHNIQUE.  Every note is amazing and well-placed.  Contrary to popular opinion, Yngwie at his best does play with a ton of heart and feel.

He certainly did and I couldn't resist posting this imitation by nine year old Chinese little girl Pinxi Liu

Not exactly perfect but f*cking hell!!

I've watched several of her videos and she is incredible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better guitarist?   Better guitarist? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Better guitarist?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2