Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?

Go down 
+9
kethdredd
Glower
manny
mc666
FoJ
Lari
Dark Horseman
Gilbert
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
13 posters

Crowd Funding your Favorite Band
Obligated
Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Vote_lcap13%Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
Not Obligated
Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Vote_lcap60%Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Vote_rcap
 60% [ 9 ]
Silly Poll
Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Vote_lcap27%Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Vote_rcap
 27% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Empty
PostSubject: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Topic title says it all. One of the biggest bands in history is doing a Pledge Music campaign. I will be the first to state that I really don't understand all of this "crowd funding" shit. But I feel obligated - and I DON'T like feeling obligated to anything.

Tell me what to do [I am not listing "Do what the hell you want", as that would win automatically].
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 2:04 pm

SOUNDS INSANELY GREAT, BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 2:15 pm

This new track is awesome. Can't wait to hear more. Biff still has the pipes.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 2:41 pm

I love Saxon but they're too big to have to do this, seems odd.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 2:55 pm

That's a kick-ass song. I don't know about the pledge thing. Is that bad? I'm imagining it's a way to see they won't lose money making an album, but for Saxon it's a bit strange because they should know very well how many people will buy the album. Maybe it's just a test?
Back to top Go down
FoJ
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I refuse to do this anymore except under very unusual circumstances. Saxon doesn’t need to do this. I won’t do it, but I’ll certainly check out the record after it’s released.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 5:04 pm

If a band has nothing. No money, no record company interest, no reputation, no discography, ... just a live show or a demo. Then yes, I can help fund your release if I saw your show or heard your demo & liked you. Other than that, it's just weak. I didn't give a single cent to Obituary when they tried this garbage, until they actually had a physical release to buy. And I love that band.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Maybe it's just a sign of the times, what the music industry has come down to. Bands can't record new music unless they pay for it themselves. And then decide whether to do it at all or not.

Saxon can probably make (some) money touring. Do they make money recording new music?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 7:29 pm

I am with mc666, I just don't believe in it, unless its a local band or even then ...

Saxon were not exactly some indie band eating beanies and weanies, they have toured the world, have most of their discography in print, just had a vinyl set of their 90's discography released, they have more than a few quid in the bank.

If they could put out the album on their label and get distribution deal very quickly, so it makes no sense to me why Saxon would need to this type of pledgefunding
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm

https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/saxon-thunderbolt

Reading it, makes me think it's just a pre-order special for fans, and not really a proper funding thing where it's all "hey, do you think this thing should happen - fund it and we'll make it so!".
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Money makes or breaks a band. That's why bands break up. That's why recording company's turn to what's hot. Rock, in my opinion, isn't about longevity. As a side note, I did donate money on a Go Fund Me - someone's funeral - but a rock band, no way. And I love Saxon but Lemmy wouldn't do that.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

Pledgemusic has pretty awful customer service. I won't do anything through them period.

I'll support a kickstarter if it has good rewards. I kickstarted White Wizzards new album for example.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I love Saxon but they're too big to have to do this, seems odd.

While they aren't exactly Metallica big or Iron Maiden big, they are pretty well known for a metal band. I even remember speaking to one or two people not into metal who said, "Aren't they an older metal band?" (They were in their early 20s, if I remember correctly, and this was in the 2000s.)

I did a donation once, and for a friend's band (Unbidden).
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 4:10 pm

Nothing weak about it. It's great when you pledge and a band actually gives you a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff when they're recording an album. Unlike White Wizzard who posted one update in a year.

But pre-ordering through those places helps bands actually make some money with incentives and stuff. Since so many people just steal albums digitally, this helps bands make a little money upfront before the bulk of their fans basically rip them off.

Last edited by Eyesore on Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Glower wrote:
Money makes or breaks a band. That's why bands break up. That's why recording company's turn to what's hot. Rock, in my opinion, isn't about longevity. As a side note, I did donate money on a Go Fund Me - someone's funeral - but a rock band, no way. And I love Saxon but Lemmy wouldn't do that.

You forgot to post this as a shitty poem. lol!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 09, 2017 6:42 am

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 am

It used to bother me when "known" bands were begging for funds to record albums, but I've gotten over it. The biz ain't what it used to be, so bands gotta do what they gotta do to survive. But I don't feel obligated to contribute. I have contributed a couple of times though if the perks seemed worthwhile.

Bottom line, if it's a band I care about enough, I'll pick it up when it's released.

PostSubject: Re: Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?   Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saxon + PledgeMusic = Should I be ashamed?
Page 1 of 1