Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First song/album that got you into metal?

Go down 
+23
manny
Aaron_D
Leatherface
nevermore
metalinmyveins
Kramer78
MetalGuy71
Dark Horseman
Lari
Fat Freddy
corplhicks
Troublezone
Witchfinder
mc666
candlemass
BearOnUnicycle
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
Thelemech
glassprison
Boris2008
Big Rich
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

First song/album that got you into metal? Empty
PostSubject: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 11:15 pm

I remember trading my friend an REO Speedwagon cassette for his Stryper To Hell With Devil cassette.

When I inserted the cassette into my cassette player and hit play the first song that played was The Way. My life immediately changed. I wanted to find out more about this kind of music. Thank God, because I've met some of my best friends because of metal.

I know you remember, so what was the song album that turned you into a metalhead?

First song/album that got you into metal? 506406
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 am

Or a least the first one I loved enough to spend my pocket money on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 am

My dad tells me he used to have to play the first four Van Halen albums on vinyl to get me to stop crying as an infant.

Some of the first I remember include Cinderella's Night Songs, Yngwie Malmsteen's Fire and Ice, Kingdom Come's In Your Face and Van Halen's 5150.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 am

AC/DC - Blow Up Your Video
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 3:19 am

AC/DC Highway to hell was my first step towards the light.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 6:25 am

KISS - Detroit Rock City. An older kid that lived across the alley from me was huge into KISS. He played us Destroyer and blew me and my friend away.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 7:30 am

GNR's Welcome to the jungle.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 8:04 am

UDO's Best Of
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 am

Boris2008 wrote:

Or a least the first one I loved enough to spend my pocket money on! Very Happy

This, though I couldn't care less if I ever hear that song again! Still love the album though... headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 am

I didn't realize it was metal until I was much older, but Judas Priest's Cheater from Rocka Rolla. I'll never forget hearing that riff & the harmonica coming from my dad's den. I was only like 5 or 6. It got me to exploring his record collection of rock stuff.

Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 8:49 am

Hearing this song sometime in 1977 or 1978:

That and various Kiss songs. I distinctly remember listening to my friend's copy of Double Platinum. Then I heard Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath being played by a friend's older brother and it scared me. Smile

I went full bore into Metal when I found Priest in about 1982 when I saw this video:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 9:09 am

I'm not completely sure, but I think it was Tears Are Falling by KISS. I still think it's a very catchy tune and one of their best from the non-makeup era.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 11:28 am

Oh god. My paradigm shift.

July of 1993. I still have the cassette tape of this.

Last Action Hero had just come out, gotten slammed by critics, disappointed the box office, and went unnoticed by me (love the movie today tho). This means that the soundtrack was in heavy rotation around this time.

Strict parents, religious household, no heavy metal allowed.

My thing was to surf the radio on my boombox while running a tape on record, but the one station that was forbidden was 103.7 KRZR (The Wild Hare), our rock and metal station.

One day, my parents were out, and I was left to my own temptations.

I was cruising around different bands and decided to to KRZR. It was a commercial break. Then the DJ came on and I hit record.

This is the song that played. My balls dropped that day and I welcomed the brutality of adolescence into my heart with shock and awe. My life was changed forever.

Seriously, those goosebumps stung like hell.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 am

AC/DC's Let There Be Rock, my brother bought me the tape for Christmas in 1981.
I was 11 years old and for a long time it was the only tape I owned so I played it literally to death. To this day, I know every riff and lyric from that album forwards, backwards, upside down and sideways.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 11:42 am

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

Borrowed the tape from a friend.

The title track did it for me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 2:14 pm

Hmmm, Sabbath or Purple. Pick a song from the mid to late 70's.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 2:18 pm

I was semi-familiar with what passed for heavy metal on the radio back in the early-to-mid 80's, but the first time I heard GnR's 'It's So Easy' on my Sony Walkman, I was hooked. The swagger, anger and attitude of that song had me craving more. The whole album really, but that song in particular sparked a fire.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Believe it or not "Fade To Black" is what turned me into a metalhead, although i didn't actually hear that album until 1988. Still my favorite song/album/band to this day.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Hard to say, as there were a few back in 1983 that got me steered in that direction. I want to say it was something off of "Pyromania" most likely? I think it was probably "Rock of Ages", which I heard on the radio or it might have been "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)". All of a sudden, I remember my father allowing me to get a couple of free tapes through Columbia House, which was "Bark at the Moon" and "Shout at the Devil". I slowly delved into the scene, as I was still into AOR and pop music. By 1986 there was a considerable paradigm shift to that of metal, as Metallica rocked my world!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 10:55 am

Probably Detroit Rock City from KISS. My neighbors at the time were a few years older than me and turned me onto KISS.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 2:44 pm

I'd say Iron Maiden's Somewhere In Time as far as what I would consider metal nowadays. I mean, I was listening to stuff like early Def Leppard, early Motley Crue, Scorpion and Krokus before that, but to me that's more hard rock than metal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 5:21 pm

If you liked Krokus and shit, you were already into metal.

What got you into those bands instead of pop stuff?
Back to top Go down
Aaron_D
Metal student
Metal student
Aaron_D

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 5:49 pm

My Dad was that quintessential 80's guy with a giant stereo system. Staples growing up Van Halen 1 and Thin Lizzy's Dedication album definitely laid the foundation for me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 6:23 pm

AC/DC 'Highway to Hell'. heard that opening riff, and the Phil Rudd drum beat, finally Bon's killer voice. I have a feeling AC/DC was a gateway band for a lot of us on this board.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 9:37 pm

The garage band across the street used to butcher Sabbath tunes. It was the catalyst for me starting to piece together my "Frankenstein" drum kit and learning how to play along to records with headphones on. Summer of 1973 (I think)

PostSubject: Re: First song/album that got you into metal?   First song/album that got you into metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First song/album that got you into metal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next