Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sons of Apollo

Go down 
+9
Troublezone
Shawn Of Fire
exact33
Gilbert
Wurthless
Eyesore
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
13 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 12:41 pm

New supergroup Sons Of Apollo have revealed that they’ll release their debut album later this year.

The band sees former Dream Theater members Mike Portnoy and Derek Sherinian reunited – and they’re joined in the lineup by Mr Big and The Winery Dogs bassist Billy Sheehan, ex Journey frontman Jeff Scott Soto and former Guns N’ Roses guitarist Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal.

They’ll release the album Psychotic Symphony on October 20 via InsideOut Music/Sony Music which was produced by The Del Fuvio Brothers – aka Portnoy and Sherinian.

Sons of Apollo Sonsofapolloalbumaug

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 12:47 pm

While I like the individual members and their various projects, this one may have too much technical wankery for me. I'd like to hear a few more tracks though.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm

Here's more........................and it sounds like DT at their wankiest.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 1:44 pm

This is better.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 pm

That song sounds better than the first one I heard. This could be cool. Maybe. That's a neat guitar Bumblebee uses.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Double necks everywhere. Maybe they need double mics.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Sep 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Wankery? What I've heard so far seems far less reserved than what I expected.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah, I've been a little disappointed from what I've heard (the two singles) because they were pretty straightforward and a little underwhelming.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

This is better.

This is good.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 12:18 pm

Pretty good stuff. I'd pick it up at some point, although I'm not gonna break a leg hunting it down.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 8:17 pm

i will get it once it comes out. Pretty good stuff.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 1:29 pm

I finally (reluctantly) listened to 3 SOA songs on YT...I have to say it's way better than anything Dream Theater has done in years and years.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I finally (reluctantly) listened to 3 SOA songs on YT...I have to say it's way better than anything Dream Theater has done in years and years.

It's a great album. Some of the...I don't know, more "grungy" kind of riffs seem to clash with the proggy stuff at times, but that's sort of a nitpicky complaint. Otherwise it's fantastic.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Jan 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I've put the album in my cart a few times on Amazon, but ended up getting something else. I'll pick it up at some point I'm sure.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeSat Jan 06, 2018 5:35 am

I think they have potential. Every player is great, but they need more time to find a sound and write some hooks.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 am

So that debut grew on me big time. Wasn't what I expected at first. I think the biggest surprise for me was how badass Bumblefoot is. Had no idea he was that good.

Anyway, really looking forward to their next album. Based on this, it's gonna be another kick-ass ride...

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 6:12 pm

As a supergroup, this one seems to have more staying power than most, no doubt because they are committed to touring together. The new song sounds awesome. I like the first record as well.

I know Derek Sherinian has said in interviews that he doesn't want to do any Dream Theater songs off of Falling into Infinity going forward, but I hope they do keep playing "Lines in the Sand" live. It such an awesome song and these guys definitely do justice to it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 6:28 pm

glassprison wrote:
As a supergroup, this one seems to have more staying power than most, no doubt because they are committed to touring together. The new song sounds awesome. I like the first record as well.

I know Derek Sherinian has said in interviews that he doesn't want to do any Dream Theater songs off of Falling into Infinity going forward, but I hope they do keep playing "Lines in the Sand" live. It such an awesome song and these guys definitely do justice to it.

Yeah, they do. Would be a nice cover to add as a bonus track or something.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2019 9:39 pm

glassprison wrote:

Makes sense, I understand that Sherinian still has a lot of animosity towards Dream Theater. Though after 20 years, you'd think he'd be over it by now.

I tool really enjoyed the first Sons (really haven't disliked anything with Portnoy or JSS) album and looking forward to the next one.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am

Really tapping into that older DT sound, I like it.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeWed Nov 20, 2019 7:40 pm

That song is awesome and if the rest of this sounds like that, getting it will be a no-brainer.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitimeThu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 pm

glassprison wrote:

I've seen them live twice. And they have played Lines In The Sand both times. I agree with you that they should keep covering it live.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sons of Apollo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sons of Apollo   Sons of Apollo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sons of Apollo
Page 1 of 1