Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING

Go down 
+13
Vexer6
ultmetal
Boris2008
Highway Star
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
glassprison
Wrecked Neck
mlotek
brokentulsa
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Empty
PostSubject: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 12:27 am

What is the craziest concert pairing you ever saw or heard of...

I remember a few years ago hearing about a megadeth/poison ticket....Then there was Hendrix opening for the monkeys...and Kool & The Gang with Van Halen....
 One crazy pairing I  saw was Kieth Emerson opening for the Scorpions..
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 1:09 am

WASP/METALLICA/ARMORED SAINT 1985
I still think it was crazy that WASP headlined, just like when WASP headlined over SLAYER in 1987.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 1:21 am

My first thought was the Kool and the game with VH. Saw that tour, and love VH, but for the life of me couldn't understand why they picked them as openers.

Another one that still doesn't make sense to me was when I saw King Diamond for the first time on the Voodoo tour. They had Pit bull daycare as openers. They were entertaining, but not a good match for King Diamond.

There are some other head scratchers I've been to before, but I can't remember who at the moment.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 11:48 am

Mr. Big opening for Rush (1990)
Creed opening for Metallica (1998)

The odd pairings happen quite frequently at those benefit type shows too, like when Justin Timberlake opened for AC/DC and the Rolling Stones in Toronto in 2003.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 pm

One of the oddest concerts I've ever seen was Def Leppard opening ahead of Molly Hatchet and "headliner" Jefferson Starship back in 1978. All 3 bands were good but talk about disparate sounds...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 8:52 pm

Judas Priest and Cinderella, 1988. Let's just say that the leather n' studs JP crowd didn't exactly greet Cinderella with open arms.

311 opening for Kiss' reunion tour. Shit got thrown.... Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 9:06 pm

It was not odd to me, but I remember Bon Jovi opening for Dio, the whole front row was nothing but adolescent males with middle fingers through out the set.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Judas Priest and Cinderella, 1988. Let's just say that the leather n' studs JP crowd didn't exactly greet Cinderella with open arms.
That reminds me of a Slipknott show I went to once. They had a band called One Minute Silence open for them, and the crowd almost started rioting. I liked them okay and couldn't understand the hate, but I guess the ignorant hick crowd couldn't take the fact that the singer was wearing a kilt. The crowd thought he was wearing a dress, and the singer thought they hated him because they were from England. It w a s nuts, never saw a crowd so full of hate before. I give the band a lot of credit for sticking it out and finishing their set though. Wasn't really a bad pairing of bands,just a bad choice in wardrobe I guess lol
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 10:33 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
My first thought was the Kool and the game with VH. Saw that tour, and love VH, but for the life of me couldn't understand why they picked them as openers.

I initially thought the same thing, but after I saw them, I got it. While Kool and his gang might be outside of my normal listening habits, I knew just about every song they played that night. If you've ever been to a wedding reception in the last 20 years, you know their songs. It's fun party music and Diamond Dave has never been shy about his love for 70's dance music.

One that I've mentioned before was Soundgarden opening for Guns n' Roses during the Use Your Illusion tour of the early 90's. GnR were at their headlining peak and Soundgarden were just starting to make some noise in the mainstream. But their brand of flannel, cargo shorts and Doc Martens didn't fare well with the denim & leather crowd of GNR when I saw them.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 2:32 pm

Quote :

Which city was that in? I didn't know Cinderella played any shows with JP. Must have been before the Long Cold Winter headlining tour started up?

Kind of like when Great White was opening for JP in '84. Maybe that is what sparked the infamous Madison Square Garden incident!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 3:03 pm

mlotek wrote:
WASP/METALLICA/ARMORED SAINT 1985
I still think it was crazy that WASP headlined, just like when WASP headlined over SLAYER in 1987.

Saw that tour in '84.  WASP was totally deserving, just off the global hype the first album had.  I was under age, but my friends' uncle owned First Ave, so we got to stand side-stage.  Metallica changed my life that day, but WASP still put on a better show.  Also, became a huge Armored Saint fan, too!!  Got my Creeping Death ep signed by everyone, then in a drunken stupor, threw it at a bus when the Black Album came out.  Kinda wish I would not have done that.

Also, saw the WASP/Slayer/Raven tour in '87. As much of a Johnny Rod fan that I am? Slayer should have been the Headliner, if any of the three at that point.

Last edited by UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 3:06 pm

As far as crazy pairings? Eric Sardinas OPENING FOR ANYONE. HEADLINER ABOVE EVERYONE, including John Sykes' Thin Lizzy, Steve Vai, and Uli Jon Roth [whom I have seen him open for each]. I will take slack for that comment, but if you have seen Eric live, it might sway you.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 pm

glassprison wrote:
Quote :

Which city was that in? I didn't know Cinderella played any shows with JP. Must have been before the Long Cold Winter headlining tour started up?

It was July of 1988 at the Meadowlands in New Jersey. Priest was touring for Ram It Down and Cinderella had just released Long Cold Winter.

Cinderella had some small pockets of fans in the room that night but most of the crowd was simply not havin'em!  Giving credit where credit's due, Cinderella still put on a good show in spite of all the boo's and the sea of upraised middle fingers, haha. I must have been one of the few people there who was a fan of both bands.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

You would think they share a lot of the same fans.
I know a lot of people that love both of these bands

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Slayer/Malice Slayer fans were notorious to support acts and Malice got it full pelt!

Similarly Crimson Glory supporting Anthrax.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Highway Star wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

You would think they share a lot of the same fans.
I know a lot of people that love both of these bands

Now that they're both more or less nostalgia acts, that pairing would probably work out just fine today... but back in 1988, the More Tr00 Mettle Than Thou people were still very much locked into this idea that they were "at war" with the "posers," sooooo.... not so much. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Aerosmith opening for the Mahavishnu Orchestra in the 70's. Aerosmith were pretty radical and heavy then and Mahavishnu, not so much. Haha.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 5:47 pm

Didn't Judas Priest used to open for REO Speedwagon? That sounds like a very odd pairing.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Vexer6 wrote:
Didn't Judas Priest used to open for REO Speedwagon? That sounds like a very odd pairing.

Yep, their first gig on U.S. soil was in 1977, opening for REO.

Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 12:10 am

I did not see this show but in the early 70's there were some very strange billings..

Mott The Hoople opening for John McLaughlin and The Mahavishnu  Orchestra

or

vs

Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 2:06 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:

Yep, their first gig on U.S. soil was in 1977, opening for REO.

Werent REO more of a hard rock act at that point? They didnt take the plunge into radio-friendly AOR fully until Hi Infidelity.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Quote :
Werent REO more of a hard rock act at that point? They didnt take the plunge into radio-friendly AOR fully until Hi Infidelity.

Yep, '70s REO was a little more raunchy, bar-room boogie rockin' kinda stuff ala Foghat or early Aerosmith (tho they weren't as "heavy" as Aerosmith could get at times).

I have a 2CD "greatest hits" set of REO's early stuff which covers that era (A Decade Of Rock N Roll: 1970-1980) and it's quite good. The first time I heard it, I remember saying "Wow, REO Speedwagon was actually pretty bad-ass once. Who knew?" Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Queensryche did a tour with Suicidal Tendencies back in the 90s that I though was a little different. I also heard of a show where Bruce Springsteen opened for Black Sabbath. Of course this was before "The Boss" made it big.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Leatherface wrote:
Queensryche did a tour with Suicidal Tendencies back in the 90s that I though was a little different.  

I got a boot of that show at the Target Center in 91. Was not there personally, but the crowd sounds great for both.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Anthrax touring with Public Enemy. Not crazy in the context of the single but wildly different fan bases
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING   CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CRAZY CONCERT PAIRING
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next