Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s

Go down 
+11
Red Kitty
MetalGuy71
exact33
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
glassprison
Wurthless
brokentulsa
Mac & Cheese
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Mac & Cheese
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mac & Cheese

Number of posts : 83

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Empty
PostSubject: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeTue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 pm

I had dismissed these guys as just another hair band when I first read about them in various metal mags back in the day. Didn't realize what I was missing out on. Just discovered their latest cd Kingmaker and realized what an amazing band Pretty Maids are!
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 12:59 am

These guys rock!

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 1:42 am

i only know red hot & heavy but i love that one.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 6:20 am

Pretty Maids are great! I own most of their releases and don't think there is a weak one among them.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 9:46 am

This band is so great. I've been listening to them a lot lately and I agree with 007 in that they don't have have a weak release.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am

I love them. Great band. Are they really hair metal though? Their early releases were solid heavy metal imo.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am

I know bits n pieces of their "Future World" album but that's about it.

I've noticed that there's an "Original Album Classics" set of their stuff with 4 or 5 of their discs in a little box but I've never taken the plunge on it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 pm

A band I enjoy but feel like they're missing something, a heaviness at times that a band like Helloween has.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
A band I enjoy but feel like they're missing something, a heaviness at times that a band like Helloween has.

yeah. i have always thought of them as a lesser version of Helloween.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 2:45 pm

I picked up a greatest hits comp awhile back to see what all the hub-bub was about. It didn't do much for me and I re-sold it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 10:19 am

007 wrote:
Pretty Maids are great! I own most of their releases and don't think there is a weak one among them.

Totally agree. They are one of my favorite bands. Was lucky enough to see their only performance on US soil when they played Prog/Power back in 2012. Even cooler is that they stayed at the same hotel as I and I got to meet the band. Very nice guys!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 12:19 pm

Seeing a band live can help you like them more. Razz
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 1:44 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Seeing a band live can help you like them more. Razz

Red, hot and heavy is the song that got me hooked headbanger
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeThu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm

I have Future World, Jump the Gun and Red Hot & Heavy (which I actually bought in Stockholm when I was there on business back in 1990). 

I like Future World the best of the three.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I have Future World, Jump the Gun and Red Hot & Heavy (which I actually bought in Stockholm when I was there on business back in 1990). 

I like Future World the best of the three.

These are the only 3 I own. I like all of them. I agree with Toho that Future World is the best of these 3.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 3:44 pm

I really like the albums "Motherland", louder Than ever and
Pandemonium....and the live album from that era " It Comes Alive" is awesome..
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeFri Apr 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Am I the only one who has screwed up packaging for Jump The Gun?

The album cover of the liner notes says "Lethal Heroes" on the front but the CD spine says "Jump The Gun".

Mine looks like this (minus the MetalWorks logo):

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Pretty+Maids+-+Lethal+heroes

Not this:

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  3686

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:58 pm

They had a very cool album photo of a gal layng down with a Flying V.
I was hooked when I heard the song "Red Hot and Heavy"....
But they never toured or came around my area....
I never saw any videos either...my metal friends didn't really listen to them...,
Even today, I never hear them mentioned...
Even in rock books.....
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Love this band! For years I only knew the song Back To Back as covered by Hammerfall. Through this board I found out about them and thanks to a former member of this board (Spectrefate) I got all the hard to find albums and I filled the holes to have a complete discography. In less than 10 years, they've become one of my top 10 bands. Ronnie Atkins is one hell of a vocalist and I like the work he did with Avantasia and Nordic Union.

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 10:45 am

tohostudios wrote:
Am I the only one who has screwed up packaging for Jump The Gun?

The album cover of the liner notes says "Lethal Heroes" on the front but the CD spine says "Jump The Gun".

Mine looks like this (minus the MetalWorks logo):

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Pretty+Maids+-+Lethal+heroes

Not this:

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  3686

Jump the Gun is the original European release name. Epic Records, their US label, changed it to Lethal Heroes for some reason. Looks like they blurred out the hint of pubic hair too, yet were apparently ok with the blue tits.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 11:19 am

And then they forgot to change the album name on the spine of the CD.

PostSubject: Re: Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s    Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pretty Maids A Band That Slipped Under My Radar In The 80s
Page 1 of 1