Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst Encounters with Bands?

Go down 
+18
Addy
ShadowAngel
deathisgain
James B.
80s Metal Lady
Wrecked Neck
brokentulsa
mc666
corplhicks
chewie
Glower
Witchfinder
Required Fields
nevermore
akeldama
martinsane
Fat Freddy
muckie
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Worst Encounters with Bands? Empty
PostSubject: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 am

What do you have to share in this regard?

I actually bought the CD of one band I had a nasty argument with, but that was after I actually paid for it. The band was a shitty christian group which has now been forgotten. The members, mostly the men, were total smart asses and prone to evoking more trouble than would've been expected. They thought they were clever and funny, but weren't. I actually still have that CD which I barely ever played, and want to destroy it. I don't want someone getting their hands on it, but then I've thought the same thing about most CCM filth that has passed through my fingers. Unfortunately, this is the case with nearly every christian band I ever met and actually tried to interact with beyond the superficial (and almost all the concerts I've been to were christian rock, sadly). I don't want to get in to all my theological vexations with CCM in general, but that's that. I know our friend Ult here has also been shunned by one band which was ironically enough Christian too, and that was the Crucified. Read where he mentions the leader accusing him of idolatry.

Some people have had far worse experiences, though. Please let me know yours.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 9:15 am

Ummmm.... I met Ace Frehley at an autograph signing many years ago and he was a hung-over, unfriendly douche. Haha.

...that's pretty much all I got. Aside from that, all of my other interactions with bands/musicians have been positive experiences.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Ummmm.... I met Ace Frehley at an autograph signing many years ago and he was a hung-over, unfriendly douche. Haha.

...that's pretty much all I got. Aside from that, none of my other interactions with bands/musicians have been positive experiences.

Really?

Did you type that right? "Non" of you band experiences have been positive?

ON the topic I met Scott Earl once a long long time ago and although not a complete Richard he was certainly a believer of his own hype. Similar to be said for Jerry Cantrell except he is in fact the whole Richard. Smile

I have interacted with many musicians/bands over the years and most have been positive interactions and many just awesome.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 1:06 pm

martinsane wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

...that's pretty much all I got. Aside from that, none of my other interactions with bands/musicians have been positive experiences.

Really?

Did you type that right? .

Woops! Fixed.... that's what happens when I try to type before coffee....haha

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 1:15 pm

Brad Noah formerly from Disciple was rude and David Hidalgo from Los Lobos was drunk before a show but he still acknowledged me but couldn't shake my hand cause he was double-fisting some bottles of whiskey while going to the stage.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 1:28 pm

One of my worst encounters was probably with Type O Negative. Peter Steele was friendly but the rest of the band just acted as if they couldn't be bothered.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 4:26 pm

So far, I've met several band members in relatively established (not local) bands, and none of them were negative encounters. Even amongst those I may have heard some harsh things about. Maybe they had a bad day when others met them, or had better days on the encounters I had with them. So far I've met these band members (in person) at the top of my head:

Beyond Creation (three of the four members, all of whom were very cool, and they all gave me autographs)
Gorod bassist Benoit Claus (pretty cool guy)
Joey Belladonna (some people on other boards told me he was a prick before I met him, but he seemed like an alright guy to me. He thought it was really awesome that I traveled five hours to see him perform, and said that to others)
Anvil (some other people said they were douchebags when they met them, but they were cool when I met them)
Havok (saw them live a couple of years ago, and got to meet all four members of the band. All of them were friendly to me and everyone else I saw them correspond with)
Oscar Soutu of Anonymus (couldn't have been any nicer)

Nearly all of the local band members are good guys. Some may have had bad days when I was around them, but many other times, they were really cool. I know I've had days where I think in retrospect I could have been nicer or more friendly to others. But then again, there hasn't been a metal band play a live show around here so far this year; the only metal show I've been to (the aforementioned Beyond Creation and Gorod show) I had to travel hours to see. Most places that are operating that have local shows at the moment where I live won't even allow you to play AC/DC or Van Halen songs, let alone metal of any kind.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 5:06 pm

akeldama wrote:
Brad Noah formerly from Disciple was rude and David Hidalgo from Los Lobos was drunk before a show but he still acknowledged me but couldn't shake my hand cause he was double-fisting some bottles of whiskey while going to the stage.

Brad Noah admits he's a jerk in interviews. Typical characteristics and mannerisms to be expected from a caucasoid specimen. Satan really did a good job when his demons slept with those women and bred the white man. The fact that Lucifer was an angel of light and that the white man has a subset who are blond and blue-eyed with the brilliance of a fallen angel proves that the white man has demon blood in him.

Basically during the early years of humanity, when the original descendants of God's people were black and the white anomaly began to emerge in the human population because of their sin, the devil put a spell on humanity called 'snow white' and created racial indifference so as to promote cross-breeding outside of a pure lineage. The Nuwaubians have been trying to counter this spell and reverse the damage done. Their advocates supposedly include Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, and Afrika Bambataa. So if you meet one of these guys in concert and see them behave in such a way, blame it on the devil. But if they're not of the white race, blame it on the lack of representation of powerful black women in modern sitcoms.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 5:18 pm

I haven't had any bad encounters. Even Scott Ian was cool and everybody says he's a jerk. Smile

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:15 pm

muckie wrote:
Brad Noah admits he's a jerk in interviews. Typical characteristics and mannerisms to be expected from a caucasoid specimen. Satan really did a good job when his demons slept with those women and bred the white man. The fact that Lucifer was an angel of light and that the white man has a subset who are blond and blue-eyed with the brilliance of a fallen angel proves that the white man has demon blood in him.

Basically during the early years of humanity, when the original descendants of God's people were black and the white anomaly began to emerge in the human population because of their sin, the devil put a spell on humanity called 'snow white' and created racial indifference so as to promote cross-breeding outside of a pure lineage. The Nuwaubians have been trying to counter this spell and reverse the damage done. Their advocates supposedly include Lauryn Hill, Mary J. Blige, and Afrika Bambataa. So if you meet one of these guys in concert and see them behave in such a way, blame it on the devil. But if they're not of the white race, blame it on the lack of representation of powerful black women in modern sitcoms.

Worst Encounters with Bands? What-you-talkin-bout-willis

Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3179

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 6:56 pm

One time, I saw ICON in concert....small venue 500 metal-heads there.
I loved their first two albums.....and out they came.....
I had no idea they had a new singer....and he musta saw my expression...
I couldn't believe it....it's like catching your gal red-handed cheating lol !

So they have this one song...Under My Gun....
And the singer points directly at me and sings angrily "your gonna die young"
I swear, half the crowd turned and looked at me.
I thought that was non cool / and soon left the show.
It still bothers me that Clifford left the band...
From what I hear....to be a Christian..to be married.....etc
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 8:08 pm

muckie wrote:
akeldama wrote:

Worst Encounters with Bands? Fxf45
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 9:51 pm

I haven't really had any. I met Kansas members Phil Ehart, Rich Williams and David Ragsdale back in 92-93 at The Cabaret in San Jose They were some funny guys and talked with us for a while and got their autographs. I had a local mag With Irving Azoff on part of the cover and Phil said something about writing over that f*****s face(some bad blood there).

Met Johnny Colt and Jeff Cease of the Black Crowes at that same venue a year earlier. Once again, cool guys.

Met Symphony X at the autograph table at Gigantour. They were cool, too. I told them that they should have been playing the Main Stage.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 11:56 pm

Muckie needs to cool it wit dat Schlitz malt liquor, yo.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 1:33 am

muckie wrote:
akeldama wrote:

WTF are you going on about? Shocked

brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 1:48 am

I have met a few bands along the way...all of them except one was cool.. I met Dimebag and he was cool and bought me a beer in a club he was at...met The guys in Krokus and Accept way back in the 80s and smoked grass with them (and all the other fans at the hotel Smile  )
Met Ted Nugent and he was cool and so was Hank Williams jr. and Waylon Jennings and Robin Trower, Quiet Riot and Night Ranger when I met them...
Who was the one guy that was a real jerk?...Michael Sweet of Stryper...That guy was a complete narcissistic control freak jerk ..He treated me and the opening act and even his own band-mates like dirt..The guy is absolutely full of himself..Turned me off of him and stryper forever....
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 2:25 am

I've only met a handful of band members and all have been pretty cool with me. The only thing I can think of that left a bad impression was megadeth. They weren't really dicks when I met them at an autograph session before the show, except Dave was so wasted he could barely sign anything. During the show he could barely perform and I swore off ever going to another megadeth show again. This was during the so far so good so what tour opening for Dio, and I stuck by my oath till I saw them open for Sabbath and other bands during new years evil at bank one ballpark in phoenix, Az 1998/99. They were really good that night, so I have since swore off my boycott and have seen them a few times after.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 3:42 am

brokentulsa wrote:

Who was the one guy that was a real jerk?...Michael Sweet of Stryper...That guy was a complete narcissistic control freak jerk ..He treated me and the opening act and even his own band-mates like dirt..The guy is absolutely full of himself..Turned me off of him and stryper forever....

That's too bad. I had a crush on Sweet back in the day, I'll admit. Maybe there IS something about Christian rockers. As an atheist, it doesn't really surprise me, lol.

Funny, Rat Pack Records that handled the Metal Church bundles, sent me an email about fan bundles for Michael Sweet's One Sided War CD. I "starred" the email to check it out later, now I don't feel too keen on it. I'm not that big of a Sweet fan, anyway. I'll save my money for something else.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

That's too bad. I had a crush on Sweet back in the day, I'll admit. Maybe there IS something about Christian rockers. As an atheist, it doesn't really surprise me, lol.

Funny, Rat Pack Records that handled the Metal Church bundles, sent me an email about fan bundles for Michael Sweet's One Sided War CD. I "starred" the email to check it out later, now I don't feel too keen on it. I'm not that big of a Sweet fan, anyway. I'll save my money for something else.

As a Christian who admits to having his own share of problems, I can say that CCM (contemporary christian music) artists are often more entertainers than sound theologians or saints. Most Christians should be humble enough to have some awareness of their faults. Hell, sometimes my encounters with some self-professed Christians (and even these bands) has, at least, some part of my own fault and obnoxious self to blame in stimulating a ruckus, but that's not to deny that they too played a part in feeding dissension among other believers.

Christian music is not the only place where a person can find God. I have had more insight brought to me in secular song lyrics with a scriptural study and basis to illuminate on certain themes about truths in the world. Knowing truths or wisdom about the world isn't just about overly optimistic, happy-go-lucky saccharine "joy", but also the pain and trials of life. As a Christian, we should recognize that both exist to differing degrees in the real world. That's not to say that God can use an asshole to lead someone to him, because of course, the person in question who finds out about this stuff through the people I mentioned could not only choose to become a Christian but end up along the path as a more spiritually mature person who is not an asshole. Sometimes the student supercedes the teacher. You can't throw the baby out with the bath water. A believer who is beginning the christian walk is not always in a solid state of character as the Father and Son would want them to be, but rather we trust in God first simply to begin a process of consecration for becoming more Christian. It's not just something that happens over night for most people. I also do not try to get involved in situations or counsel people on spiritual and moral matters that I have not reached any point of wisdom or mastery to offer any serious advice or insight. Sometimes I have something to say that comes from legitimate experience, but I would try to avoid speaking prematurely on issues that are still present in my life. Here's some more wisdom in the famous devotional, the Imitation of Christ which gives a basic illustration of this issue:

Quote :
CHAPTER VIII: Of the Danger of Too Much Familiarity

We must love all men, but not make close companions of all. It sometimes falleth out that one who is unknown to us is highly regarded through good report of him, whose actual person is nevertheless unpleasing to those who behold it. We sometimes think to please others by our intimacy, and forthwith displease them the more by the faultiness of character which they perceive in us.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12635

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 9:43 am

Maybe the day you were in contact with someone (anybody for that matter) was a bad day for them and is not how they usually are. People are fallible and people are human. Back in 1984, I was in the DFW area playing at some club. Out back some guy was arguing with a girl and pushed her down. I walked over and beat the dog snot out of him. He happened to be the singer of the marquis band that night and almost didn't go on stage. It nearly got us blackballed from that entire circuit. That was 30 something years ago. me and that guy are still close friends. So a messed up situation didn't let neither of us miss out on a life long friendship.

My personal favorite is right before one of the first shows Steven Patrick did with Holy Soldier. I went back to say hey to the guys. It wasn't known to me yet that Robbie (Brauns) was no longer fronting the band. When I asked about it, Steven said this was a private area all prima donna like. My reply was a sarcastic, "then why is Major Malfunction here". I intended no malice, just trying to be funny in front of the guys. He didn't get the joke and mumbled something I didn't hear. So I then probably went to far and said, "you don't have to be a butthole about it". Right then he bent over to pick something up and his spandex ripped. Some guy I didn't know spoke from the doorway, "Glad you didn't call him a dick".

Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 11:55 am

James B. wrote:

My personal favorite is right before one of the first shows Steven Patrick did with Holy Soldier.  I went back to say hey to the guys.  It wasn't known to me yet that Robbie (Brauns) was no longer fronting the band.  When I asked about it, Steven said this was a private area all prima donna like. My reply was  a sarcastic, "then why is Major Malfunction here". I intended no malice, just trying to be funny in front of the guys. He didn't get the joke and mumbled something I didn't hear. So I then probably went to far and said, "you don't have to be a butthole about it". Right then he bent over to pick something up and his spandex ripped.  Some guy I didn't know spoke from the doorway, "Glad you didn't call him a dick".

lol!
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 11:58 am

James B. wrote:
Maybe the day you were in contact with someone (anybody for that matter) was a bad day for them and is not how they usually are.  People are fallible and people are human.  Back in 1984, I was in the DFW area playing at some club.  Out back some guy was arguing with a girl and pushed her down. I walked over and beat the dog snot out of him.  He happened to be the singer of the marquis band that night and almost didn't go on stage.  It nearly got us blackballed from that entire circuit.  That was 30 something years ago. me and that guy are still close friends.  So a messed up situation didn't let neither of us miss out on a life long friendship.

My personal favorite is right before one of the first shows Steven Patrick did with Holy Soldier.  I went back to say hey to the guys.  It wasn't known to me yet that Robbie (Brauns) was no longer fronting the band.  When I asked about it, Steven said this was a private area all prima donna like. My reply was  a sarcastic, "then why is Major Malfunction here". I intended no malice, just trying to be funny in front of the guys. He didn't get the joke and mumbled something I didn't hear. So I then probably went to far and said, "you don't have to be a butthole about it". Right then he bent over to pick something up and his spandex ripped.  Some guy I didn't know spoke from the doorway, "Glad you didn't call him a dick".

I was about to expound upon this. For the most part, I can't say it was in vain, because for me and for many people it is a learning experience and knowing not to put too much faith in anyone too soon. Often we're quite surprised.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 8:14 pm

I haven't met too many musicians and for the most part have had positive interactions. The only thing comes close to back in '91 I was working at a company that sold flight assistance equipment. A guy that we did a lot of business with told us that some famous guy would be coming in (we were right next to a private airport). The guy calling was an older gentleman and didn't know who this person was, he told us his name was "David Gilmour". Of course I was a big fan of Pink Floyd, so I was excited at the opportunity at meeting him. He came in and I was working in the back. My friend told me he was there, so I went up front, and there he was sitting on one of the chairs. Looked like he could have bee na friend of my father's. Was wearing a jeans button down shirt, khaki shorts and boat shoes, sporting a few days beard growth. At the time I had hair down to my butt, so I probably looked like one of his typical fans. I said something like "It is David Gilmour!", and extended my hand. he looked wearily in my direction, gave me a half ass smile, shook my hand, mumbled something like "Yeah" and then looked away. He wasn't a huge jerk, but I was a little bummed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 6:29 am

I remember hearing Billy Corgan (of Smashing Pumpkins) talking about how Kim Gordon and her cronies from Sonic Youth totally shunned them when Billy told Kim about how much he admired her work and all that. They were playing a concert together, from what I remember, and this was during the Pumpkin's prime. I guess it goes to show you that even respected musicians have these clashes, we all know that of course, and since even the 'Gods of Rock' can be at each other's throats, we should be more at ease to understand how quickly we are regarded as unworthy in their presence.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 7:31 am

I never really had any bad experience where i walked away thinking "what assholes, i never buy another album from them". The worst that sometimes happen is musicians thinking i'm a groupie who just wants to have sex and act that way when all i wanna do is talk a bit about them and their music or get an autograph. Considering most women throw themself at musicians i'm not surprised most expect that from all women
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst Encounters with Bands?   Worst Encounters with Bands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst Encounters with Bands?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next