Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you do with your duplicates?

Go down 
+17
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
James B.
muckie
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
manny
Thelemech
Boris2008
Required Fields
nevermore
tohostudios
mc666
Wrecked Neck
Witchfinder
John Madden
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

What do you do with your duplicates? Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 12:38 pm

I just ordered C.O.C's Blind because it has extra tracks.I'm also considering getting the deluxe versions of Monster Magnet's Dopes to Infinity and Superjudge. I've got different versions of Wasted Youth's Black Daze and I have a copy of Immortal's At the Heart of Winter with Silver ink that I can't bear to part with. Two different versions of Sigh's " Gallows Gallery" with different color covers.....Considering these days that the resell value of CDs are at a long time low, what's your opinion on duplicates-especially different record labels, extra tracks,remastered vs original etc ?
I also collect comic books and it's the exact opposite.The first printing is always the most sought after and most expensive with very few exceptions. A few years ago, I had an original version of Razor's Shotgun Justice on Fringe Records which sold for 350 dollars to a buyer in Germany.Just last year,Relapse reissued it with a great remaster and extra tracks. A quick check on Ebay reveals the price for the original is still high, which often isn't the case.How many duplicates do you have? Why or why not do you keep multiple versions of the same album?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 2:42 pm

I used to trade them in at the CD store, but nowadays I keep them. I have many duplicates - for instance I have three versions of Riot's Fire Down Under on CD and 3 different vinyl versions. I no longer sell duplicates because of the hassle without much in return. One thing to consider is it's possible that in a decade or so CDs will be collector's items much like vinyl today, and therefore they might be worth holding onto.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I keep them all in a box. I might sell some of them one of these days on eBay, but most of them aren't anything hard to get so they would t bring much. Might keep them around for another ten/twenty years and see what happens. Never thought vinyl would be so collectable and gave all mine away years ago, so not going to make the same mistake twice.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Throw them in the trash.

John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 3:43 pm

mc666 wrote:
Throw them in the trash.
You can send them my way, or at least donate them so a metal head can discover your eclectic listening choices,homey! What do you do with your duplicates? 754598
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't have many duplicates; the ones I do have are ones I double bought by mistake. But I'm not doing the "trade them in" thing anymore either because as others have said, it's just not worth the hassle for little return. I'm now hanging on to all of them just to see what happens to the CD market. I've still got about 1000 albums on vinyl too. I'm sure most of them aren't worth much but I think some probably are if you find the right collector.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:35 pm

I don't have many duplicates. But I either trade them or hook up friends that may not own whatever I have two of.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:39 pm

I have bought duplicate albums for people and gave them as gifts.

Other than that, I'm content with owning one version of an album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:53 pm

If I'm collecting a band (I collect Celtic Frost vinyl) I will get as many different pressings/formats as I can

I'll save someone the bother

lol!
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:55 pm

I usually end up giving them to friends to spread the gospel.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 7:56 pm

Never had duplicates.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 8:44 pm

I have very few duplicates, I have a the deluxe version of 'Hysteria' 'Sticky Fingers' and the regular versions of those same albums, I just keep them,

If I replace an album from vinyl to CD, I just give the vinyl copy away. I own way too much stuff as it is.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 9:20 pm

I very rarely buy a second copy of a CD so this hasn't come up for me in a very long time.
When it did, I would either trade the duplicate in at a used record store, or trade it with someone here on the forum.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 12:20 am

I usually keep them until i can secure good trades.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 7:08 am

I mostly have Japanese rock duplicates and would be willing to trade some of them to local members of this forum regardless of whether the ones I get in return are also Japanese or english, euro, etc. just whatever.

I also have some bootlegs of J-Music from China but I never charge for them, they're always shared as samplers. I'd never expect someone to buy that crap from me even if they know they are in fact, boots! Very Happy

I have, let's see...

Boots:
Blue - Singles Compilation (j-rock; unofficial compilation of singles, b-sides and ep tracks)
Dreams Come True - Million Kisses (j-pop; full studio album; by SonMay records)
Dreams Come True - Wonder 3 (j-pop; full studio album; by SonMay records)
Janne da Arc - Singles Compilation (j-rock; unofficial compilation of several ep's and singles)
Miyavi - Galyuu (j-rock; full studio album; by Miya Records)
Miyavi - Miyavism (j-rock; full studio album; by Miya Records)
My Little Lover - Evergreen (j-pop; full album + some singles and b-sides)
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI OST: Disc 3 (by SonMay)
t.A.T.u. - 200 Dvesti Proveschni (russian boot of the first edition with mugshot cover)
t.A.T.u. - 200 Dvesti Proveschni (russian boot of the second edition with white cover and alternate track list)
t.A.T.u. - Zaschisatsya Ochkami (unofficial russian compilation of their songs with a baby on the cover wearing headphones)
Various Artists - 1999 Super Best of Japanese Singles Vol. 6 (by Archer Records)
Various Artists - Evangelion:Death (by SonMay)
Various Artists - Magic Knights Rayearth: Best Collection (by SonMay)
Various Artists - Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon: Best Vocal Collection Vol. 2 (by SonMay)
Various Artists - Sonic Adventure OST: Digi-log Conversation (by EverAnime)
Various Artists - Sonic Adventure: Songs with Attitude (by EverAnime)
Various Artists - Sonic Adventure 2: Multi-Dimensional Soundtrack (by EverAnime)
Various Artists - Sonic Adventure 2: Vocal Cuts Unleashed (by EverAnime)
X Japan - Vanishing Vision (j-metal; no front insert, only the lyrics sheet, back artwork and disc; by HoSon records)

Legit:
Fanatic Crisis - The.Lost.Innocent (j-rock; remastered version with black cover and jewel case)
Glay - Pure Soul (j-rock; complete with beige jewel case, but no cardboard sleeve)
L'Arc-en-Ciel - Dune (j-rock; first studio album; standard jewel case edition with original hexagram cover)
Seo Taiji - Vol. 5: Seo Tai Ji (korean rock; full studio album; complete but no blue jewel case)
Seo Taiji - Vol. 6: Ultramania (korean rock; full studio album; complete but hinge on red jewel case is broken; disc is heavily scuffed but not badly enough to be saved with a good buffing)
Seo Taiji - Vol. 7: Issue (korean rock; full studio album; complete)
Shazna - Golden Sun and Silver Moon (j-rock; full studio album; single-disc digipack version with 'Das Spiel' bonus track)
Speed - Dear Friends 1 (j-pop, first greatest hits compilation)
Speed - Dear Friends 2 (j-pop, second greatest hits compilation)
TM Network - Dress (j-pop; studio album featuring remakes of their hit songs)
TM Network - Humansystem (j-pop; full studio album)
TM Network - Takashi Utsunomiya presents: TMN Red (j-pop; compilation with favorite songs of the band selected by the vocalist)
TM Network - Tetsuya Komuro presents: TMN Black (j-pop; compilation with favorite songs of the band selected by the keyboardist)

All are complete unless otherwise noted. While I make an oath never to SELL bootlegs, I will trade them to those who are interested. I also have lightly scuffed copies of most of the studio albums by Boowy, another favorite j-rock band of mine, but I don't need them or the artwork because I own the Boowy Complete Box Set. Let me know what you want.

Last edited by muckie on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 7:36 am

Unfortunately I get a lot of dupes because I buy a ton of lots off of eBay & I already have several thousand cds. It's impossible not to rebuy cds I already own. I don't personally know anyone who likes metal/punk to give them to, & I'm too lazy to put in the effort to sell/trade them, so that's why I just trash them.

muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 8:12 am

Why not donate them to a thrift shop? That's such a waste. Sad
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:06 am

My wife had twins back when we first got married. We couldn't afford two kids, so we kept the other one in the basement in a stasis tank that we traded mass quantities for with the previous tenants They were from France.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:14 am

muckie wrote:

t.A.T.u. - 200 Dvesti Proveschni (russian boot of the first edition with mugshot cover)
t.A.T.u. - 200 Dvesti Proveschni (russian boot of the second edition with white cover and alternate track list)
t.A.T.u. - Zaschisatsya Ochkami (unofficial russian compilation of their songs with a baby on the cover wearing headphones)
It took me and google some time to find out what was the word lol.
"Not gonna get us" was huuuuuuge.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 9:24 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
muckie wrote:

It took me and google some time to find out what was the word lol.
"Not gonna get us" was huuuuuuge.

LOL! I was a huge fan of them in my teen years! I still have the Japanese editions of Dangerous & Moving and 200 km/h into the Wrong Lane, both with the bonus tracks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 2:35 pm

I get rid of my duplicates. I'm not sure I have any at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 2:37 pm

I keep em maybe to use as trade down the road unless its variants, etc example I collect Foo Fighters stuff and I have like 3 copies of I think its One By One CD Single each copy has diff B-sides one of them including a prince cover Smile
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I give them away to other people that love the same music I do. I give away hundreds of records and CDs every year and enjoy doing it.

Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 12:45 pm

mc666 wrote:
Unfortunately I get a lot of dupes because I buy a ton of lots off of eBay & I already have several thousand cds. It's impossible not to rebuy cds I already own. I don't personally know anyone who likes metal/punk to give them to, & I'm too lazy to put in the effort to sell/trade them, so that's why I just trash them.

I'd be more than willing to pay the shipping costs to get them out west to me. Smile

Almost the same as throwing them away, your just throwing them in a box and then driving to the post office and then...
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 1:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I give them away to other people that love the same music I do. I give away hundreds of records and CDs every year and enjoy doing it.

Cool! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your duplicates?   What do you do with your duplicates? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your duplicates?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next