Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Devil You Know vs 13

Go down 
+18
Lari
manny
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
MetallicSeminarian
nevermore
thejokeriv
brokentulsa
corplhicks
journeyman
Thrasher73
MoonChild
mc666
the sentinel
candlemass
akeldama
Hadley
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Better album?
The Devil You Know
The Devil You Know vs 13 Vote_lcap70%The Devil You Know vs 13 Vote_rcap
 70% [ 19 ]
The Devil You Know vs 13 Vote_lcap30%The Devil You Know vs 13 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 27

AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

The Devil You Know vs 13 Empty
PostSubject: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm

Which album did you prefer, Heaven and Hell's The Devil You Know (A Sabbath album in all but the band name) or Black Sabbath's 13? I'd have to say that for me, Devil You Know was a much stronger album, and the songs were much more memorable. I liked 13 at first listen, but the songs eventually started getting too "samey", and there were too many dirge-like tracks (even during the Ozzy days, Sabbath albums had plenty of upbeat paced tracks). God is Dead? and Naivete in Black were highlights, but the rest doesnt really hold up.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Black Sabbath-The Devil You Know
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 8:59 pm

Having had plenty of time to digest both now, Dio's version of Sabbath this time is far better, 13 was forced to sound retro, it's rather generic...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Black Sabbath-The Devil You Know

But, truth be told, I don't really listen to either one all that much.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 10:01 pm

The Devil You Know was leaps & bounds better.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39514

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 12:24 am

The Devil You Know for me
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 2:06 am

The Devil You Know. But not a fan of either.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 3:14 am

The Devil you Know! Dio Sabbath always trumps Ozzy Sabbath IMO.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 11:15 am

13. The Devil you know is fantastic, so it is pretty darn close. Dio and Ozzy are so different in very way and yet both are great. The Ozzy led Sabbath gets the edge.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 12:53 pm

Apples and Oranges. Jesus.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 12:57 pm

Quote :
The Devil you Know! Dio Sabbath always trumps Ozzy Sabbath IMO.

I agree  Dio
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 1:04 pm

I think 13 is a fantastic album, but The Devil You Know is a better album.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25831

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 1:10 pm

The Devil You Know is the better album.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 2:22 pm

13. I've loved that album since it came out. Still dig it.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2016 10:58 pm

I like both albums, but give a slight edge to 13 over the Devil you Know. I don't know why, but I just couldn't get much into TDYK. I liked it, but I didn't care much for the production so it doesn't get much play. I loved the production on 13 though, especially on vinyl so it gets the nod. Both are great albums though, and who knows, next month if asked the same question I might change my mind lol
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 4:23 am

13. Didn't get the chance to give the other one a deep listen.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 6:24 am

mc666 wrote:
The Devil You Know was leaps & bounds better.

I have to agree with this statement, thou I did like '13', I just don't feel it was as memorable as 'The Devil You Know'
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 7:41 am

I haven't been interested in Ozzy for a long time, so I never even picked up 13.

The Devil You Know is a good but not great album.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 8:42 am

If I were to make a Top 10 list, regarding the most disappointing albums of all time, "13" would probably make the list. I think it's so underwhelming. "The Devil You Know" is far superior!

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Sun May 15, 2016 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 10:00 am

If you had asked me this question when 13 came out I would have picked 13.  I hated TDYK when it came out and thought it was ponderous, slow and boring.  After 13 was released I listened to TDYK a bunch and it really clicked with me and now I love it.  13 was the exact opposite.  I really liked it when it was released but it has had zero staying power and it now feels like a bunch of rehashed crap.  TDYK feels like an album put together by a band that loves what they are doing and are good friends, whereas 13 feels like an album that was constructed with a goal to create an "old school Sabbath" album.  As a result, 13 feels contrived and TDYK feels fresh.

Last edited by Witchfinder on Sun May 15, 2016 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 10:21 am

Witchfinder wrote:
If you had asked me this question when 13 came out I would have picked 13.  I hated TDYK when it came out and thought it was ponderous, slow and boring.  After 13 was released I listened to TDYK a bunch and it really clicked with me and now I love it.  13 was the exact opposite.  I really liked it when it was released but it has had zero staying power and it now feels like a bunch of rehashed crap.  TDYK feels like an album put together by a band that loves what they are doing and are good friends, whereas 13 feels like an album that was constructed with goal to create an "old school Sabbath" album.  As a result, 13 feels contrived and TDYK feels fresh.

Yeah, all of that
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 11:50 am

corplhicks wrote:
Apples and Oranges. Jesus.

How so? I mean yeah Ozzy vs Dio and to a lesser degree Appice vs Wilk but it's still in the same vein. Now if it was Master Of Reality vs Heaven & Hell I could see the apples and oranges comparison.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 12:06 pm

I'm not one of those who think that Dio Sabbath trumps Ozzy Sabbath, it's the '70s all the way for me but 13 tried too hard to be that. I enjoyed the record and probably would again if I ever revisited itbut why would I go to something that's a good effort at '70s Sabs when I can just listen to the classics. I think that TDYK is a bit heavier than the early Dio stuff and fits nicely in the collection when 13 just feels unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 12:15 pm

As much of a fan of Doom and Stoner that I am I lean more towards the Dio era and honestly I'm not sure why because musically they were a lot better during the Ozzy years. Especially Geezer and Bill. I honestly like 13 for what it is and I remember Rubin said he wanted a follow up to the debut and I don't really see that either but I have to agree that after a few spins it quickly faded into obscurity for me aside from a couple of songs from disc 2. I still woulda rather had a full album from disc 2 added to The End EP without the liver songs and The Devil You Know I liked right away.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2016 6:20 pm

Umm, I think Tony stretched out a bit more w/Dio..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Devil You Know vs 13   The Devil You Know vs 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Devil You Know vs 13
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next