Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's your favorite Dio-related album?

Go down 
+27
corplhicks
akeldama
journeyman
mr.electric39
MoonChild
MetalGuy71
manny
Wrecked Neck
James B.
Troublezone
Gilbert
tohostudios
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
80s Metal Lady
Boris2008
nevermore
Glower
Wurthless
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
Witchfinder
ZombieHavoc
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Elf
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap0%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Rainbow '75
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap0%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Rising
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap13%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 5 ]
On Stage
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap3%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Long Live Rock N' Roll
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap3%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 3% [ 1 ]
Heaven and Hell
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap25%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 10 ]
Mob Rules
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap8%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Holy Diver
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap33%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 33% [ 13 ]
The Last in Line
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap8%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 3 ]
Sacred Heart
 0% [ 0 ]
Dream Evil
What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_lcap7%What's your favorite Dio-related album? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Dehumanizer
 3% [ 1 ]
Magica
 0% [ 0 ]
The Devil You Know
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 40

AuthorMessage
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

What's your favorite Dio-related album? Empty
PostSubject: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:26 pm

Listening to some various Dio-related albums today, and he obviously has a lot of stuff, way more than will fit in one poll. I tried to pick stuff that could likely be *most* people's favorite stuff (listed chronologically, not by band), but of course, some dudes have different taste so maybe it's not included.

It's a tough decision, and mine would most definitely be one of the Sabbath records, but my vote is gonna go with Sabbath's "Heaven and Hell". Lock Up the Wolves is up there too, but I did not include that in the list, as most people aren't really into that one for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:49 pm

I picked Rising, but this is impossible. Let's consider that Dio had an unparalleled run of greatness from 1975-1985 in three separate bands! No one has ever come close to that kind of achievement.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm

Tie between Dream Evil and Rising
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I picked Rising, but this is impossible.  Let's consider that Dio had an unparalleled run of greatness from 1975-1985 in three separate bands! No one has ever come close to that kind of achievement.

Yeah I agree it is pretty impossible. Aside from the s/t Rainbow album, which I do like a lot, but it's nowhere near as good to me as the subsequent two, everything up to Sacred Heart is absolute gold in my book.

So really, my run of Dio greatness would be 76 through 92, save for Dream Evil..which is okay, but probably my least favorite Dio the band album overall.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 1:07 pm

This is pretty hard and I've never heard Elf or the last 3 Rainbow albums he was on.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 1:31 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I picked Rising, but this is impossible.  Let's consider that Dio had an unparalleled run of greatness from 1975-1985 in three separate bands! No one has ever come close to that kind of achievement.

Yeah I agree it is pretty impossible. Aside from the s/t Rainbow album, which I do like a lot, but it's nowhere near as good to me as the subsequent two, everything up to Sacred Heart is absolute gold in my book.

So really, my run of Dio greatness would be 76 through 92, save for Dream Evil..which is okay, but probably my least favorite Dio the band album overall.

Dream Evil is amazing. Better than Sacred Heart, imo. I did a ranking with commentary here (link leads to rateyourmusic.com).

And nothing wrong with the Rainbow debut. I think it might be my favourite Rainbow album.

Anyway, I voted for Heaven and Hell. It was between that and Holy Diver. Both are just perfect heavy metal albums.

By the way, ZombieHavoc, where were you during the Ronnie James Dio Song Battle?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 1:36 pm

007 wrote:
This is pretty hard and I've never heard Elf or the last 3 Rainbow albums he was on.

I never heard any of the Elf albums either. The material that I have heard, it's probably something I wouldn't play a lot.

But, regarding Rainbow, Dio only did 3 albums with Blackmore. Unless you count live albums? All three of the studio albums are fantastic though, so I will highly highly recommend getting those.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Lari wrote:
Dream Evil is amazing. Better than Sacred Heart, imo. I did a ranking with commentary here (link leads to rateyourmusic.com).

And nothing wrong with the Rainbow debut. I think it might be my favourite Rainbow album.

Anyway, I voted for Heaven and Hell. It was between that and Holy Diver. Both are just perfect heavy metal albums.

By the way, ZombieHavoc, where were you during the Ronnie James Dio Song Battle?

Something with Dream Evil just never clicked with me. I put off ever buying it for a long time because I really was not into the title track, nor really the other tracks from the album that were on Very Beat of Dio ("All the Fools..." and "...Dreamer" I think). I eventually found it for $2 at a yard sale and got it then. Some songs I liked quite a lot, like Night People and Sunset Superman, but just didn't really get into it overall.

And there certainly is nothing wrong with the first Rainbow at all. But for me, when compared against everything else that came after with Rainbow, Sabbath and Dio, it's pretty low down in the Dio-verse for me. I still dig it though, to be sure.

And I never once noticed that Dio song battle thread. Ha. No clue what happened there.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 1:48 pm

This is ridiculously difficult. I've been on a huge "anything Dio related" kick recently. My favorite album of Dio's has always been Dream Evil (which is tons better than Sacred Heart).

I'd almost be inclined to pick it, but when considering Rainbow and Sabbath alongside that, that complicates things.

I'd rank it by artist like this:

Elf's self titled (the only one I've ever heard from them)
with Rainbow, On Stage.
with Sabbath, Mob Rules.
with Dio, Dream Evil.

I think I've got to go with Mob Rules, since it was my first exposure to Dio when I was a kid.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 2:05 pm

I wish you only put 4 realeases - at a time -
that's quite the list - Dio did well !
but 4 releases - poll - another4 releases - poll
then have the playoffs !
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Glower wrote:
I wish you only put 4 realeases - at a time -
that's quite the list - Dio did well !
but 4 releases - poll - another4 releases - poll
then have the playoffs !

That woulda been a good idea, but I guarantee you after the first poll it would've ended...I can't keep up with that the way some of the posters here can!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 2:40 pm

Rainbow Rising!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Heaven & Hell but I agree it's impossible.

We should definitely do a poll spanning his whole brilliant career starting with Dio At Domino's Very Happy

I was going to start this but then we went a little poll crazy Laughing
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Holy Diver.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 4:03 pm

I checked off "Long Live Rock and Roll" to give a great album some love but almost anything on that list could take the number one spot on any given day. I like a lot of the lesser known tracks off "LLRaR" almost more than the concert staples/ hit singles.

Faves:

"L.A. Connection"
"Kill the King"
"Rainbow Eyes"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Can't decide between Sabbath's Heaven and Hell or Dio's Dream Evil...

(flips coin) aaaaaannd it's Dream Evil!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Dream Evil was the first Dio album I purchased so it holds a special place for me. Holy Diver is just a bit better to me, but Dream Evil is a great album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 5:21 pm

I've been down too long in the midnight sea.

But, I could easily be listening to fools tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Holy Diver - by a long shot.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 6:09 pm

This was a really hard pick. I like his stuff with Elf, Rainbow, Sabbath, and his solo stuff. I narrowed it down to 3 and then picked from Heaven and Hell, Long Live Rock n Roll, and Holy Diver. I finally settled on Heaven and Hell.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 7:07 pm

I voted "On Stage" for sentimental reasons.

When I was in college my roommate and I developed a drinking game around how many times Dio yelled "Awright".  We'd do a vodka shot for each time.  

We could get totally hammered just by listening to the first track of Side 2 (on vinyl back then).  He must say that 5 times just leading into the tune (either that or my alcohol tolerance then isn't what it is now \'arry \'eadbanger ),   But if you listen to the whole album and do a shot every time Dio says "Awright!" I guarantee you'll be hammered by the time it's over.

If not for the memories associated with On Stage, I'd have voted for Heaven and Hell. I don't really like Ozzy-era Sabbath so that Sabbath album is easily my favorite by the band.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 8:05 pm

Holy diver.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Holy Diver. Followed closely by Heaven and Hell.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 8:35 pm

I prefer the Rainbow stuff overall.

Went with "Rising"

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2016 9:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Can't decide between Sabbath's Heaven and Hell or Dio's Dream Evil...

(flips coin) aaaaaannd it's Dream Evil!

Friggin' love that album!

Faves:

All the Fools Sailed Away
Sunset Superman
Dream Evil
I Could Have Been a Dreamer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's your favorite Dio-related album?   What's your favorite Dio-related album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next