Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Granny" Music

Go down 
+5
mc666
Required Fields
Glower
Fat Freddy
muckie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 1:36 am

I have to admit, as much as I've enjoyed learning about the history of heavy metal, I can say with confidence that I am an ardent fan of granny music to a tee. Everything from Billie and Ella, Sinatra, Simon and Garfunkel, and most easy listening, mellow conservative music from the older generation. I love a lot of old folk music. The simplicity of the production behind it, the back-to-basics style of the acoustic instrumentation is all very lovely. I love traditional mexican music like rancheros and old fashioned asian pop like enka and trot. Nana Mouskouri gets some playtime on my list. As far as contemporary music that is safe for the elderly: Adele, John Legend, Josh Groban, Jackie Evancho and Michael Buble all come to mind. I love the easy listening music considered to be in bad taste like Mantovani, Beegie Adair, early Yanni and anything grossly polite. Granny music is my forte. On cable, we have an easy listening station and many of these artists get played 24/7. I listen to people like Pete Seeger and the Weavers while drinking tea and lost in thought. I was wondering if anyone here was also a fan of innocuous elderly music like this. Please share your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 12:13 pm

My grandfather used to call Frank Sinatra "Frankie Snot-Nose," which I found absolutely hilarious when I was 8. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2016 9:15 pm

Sinatra was great. The best. Know, at least 100, of his songs.
I always sang this one over the years - being a whiskey man -
Of course - many top song writers and top composers worked with him -
but all his releases have so many a great story -
and his story - was just as colorful - for sure -
Good for you, for digging the wide spectrum of what we call music !
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 8:14 pm

muckie wrote:
Josh Groban

One of the luckiest men on the planet.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Required Fields wrote:
muckie wrote:
Josh Groban

Ummm... why, exactly? surprised

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
muckie wrote:
Josh Groban

Maybe because he's hitting Kat Dennings? scratch

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 8:46 am

mc666 wrote:

I just had to look her up to see who that was...and then I was like "Oh, yeah, the chick from the Thor movies," haha.

If he is indeed hittin' that, then I agree. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 9:44 am

I love Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. My dad just recently sent me his entire Dean Martin collection - around 40 CDs, 40+ Vinyls and some 30 or so DVDs all in mint shape.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 11:24 am

My grandmothers were born in Ireland & Norway respectively in the 1890's.
My mother loved the big band stuff from the war era when she was nursing on a hospital ship in the South Pacific. That still pre-dates the stuff Muckie referenced. Which by the way is very enjoyable to listen to, especially when reading historical based books. At least in my experiences...

Metal novice
Metal novice
CrookedCross

Number of posts : 42

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 1:46 pm

Thelemech wrote:
I love Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. My dad just recently sent me his entire Dean Martin collection - around 40 CDs, 40+ Vinyls and some 30 or so DVDs all in mint shape.

I bet there is some great stuff in there. I'm a big fan of Martin, Sinatra, and all the old stuff like Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons, old Motown. It's funny because all of my friends take me as this big metalhead and trip out when they find out I dig the oldies but that's what I grew up with and there is some great music from back then.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

"Granny" Music Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Granny" Music   "Granny" Music Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 3:13 pm

mc666 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
muckie wrote:
Josh Groban

She must be pretty bruised up by now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Granny" Music Empty