Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HIM

Go down 
+11
caniplaywithmadness?
DallasBlack
Smindas
KissinMaiden
Troublezone
kmorg
mc666
Chairman_Smith
stormspell
GrandNational
ultmetal
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

HIM Empty
PostSubject: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 7:22 pm

Who are HIM? They seem to be the rage band for the last couple years. A
young girl at work has their heart/pentagram logo tattooed on her. She
said they were a "metal band". I am unfamiliar with them. Funny thing
is, this girl mostly listens to hip-hop/gangsta rap.
Back to top Go down

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 7:52 pm

Ult, HIM are a goth band from Finland. They really aren't 'metal' though they do lean that way at times.

However, I have heard that their new album which just came out called "Venus Hum" is metal in the vein of Type O Negative. I've never really gotten into this band - but I am considering picking up their new one.
Back to top Go down

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:46 pm

I'd consider HIM a metal band, but definitely more of that sort of neo-goth metal style. They're very much like To/Die/For and For My Pain. Great band, I think.

Ult, HIM has been around for a good while now. Bam Margera (from MTVs Jackass and Viva la Bam) is a really big fan of the band. What happened with HIM is that he started to basically just profess his love for the band on his shows. This created the buzz among the young American MTV crowd. At the time HIM had only the debut released in the US, but it was released under the name HER, since another band had the rights to HIM. This album was Razorblade Romance and only 1000 were released in the US (and if I ever need money, I own a copy!).

With Margera's help, the band all of a sudden had a huge fanbase, but the fans could by no albums. So they bought t-shirts, skateboards, jewelry, got the Heartagram tattoo, and basically everything else Hot Topic and such offered with the HIM name on it. Eventually they got a US deal and had enough money to buy the rights to the name HIM. And the rest is history.

A lot of people dislike these bands that become so popular with the Hot Topic crowd, but I think HIM is an excellent band. And I think it's killer what Margera did for them. The band also hasn't gone in more of a pop direction either, their latest album is their heaviest, I think.

Did you happen to get it for free from lala? They shipped out one of three CDs to a lot of older members for free. Venus Doom was one of them. I got a copy, which is pretty cool. Anyway, not sure if they're a band you'd really dig, but don't judge the band by their fans.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 9:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'd consider HIM a metal band, but definitely more of
that sort of neo-goth metal style. They're very much like To/Die/For
and For My Pain. Great band, I think.

Ult, HIM has been around
for a good while now. Bam Margera (from MTVs Jackass and Viva la Bam)
is a really big fan of the band. What happened with HIM is that he
started to basically just profess his love for the band on his shows.
This created the buzz among the young American MTV crowd. At the time
HIM had only the debut released in the US, but it was released under
the name HER, since another band had the rights to HIM. This album was
Razorblade Romance and only 1000 were released in the US (and if I ever
need money, I own a copy!).

With Margera's help, the band all
of a sudden had a huge fanbase, but the fans could by no albums. So
they bought t-shirts, skateboards, jewelry, got the Heartagram tattoo,
and basically everything else Hot Topic and such offered with the HIM
name on it. Eventually they got a US deal and had enough money to buy
the rights to the name HIM. And the rest is history.

A lot of
people dislike these bands that become so popular with the Hot Topic
crowd, but I think HIM is an excellent band. And I think it's killer
what Margera did for them. The band also hasn't gone in more of a pop
direction either, their latest album is their heaviest, I think.

Did
you happen to get it for free from lala? They shipped out one of three
CDs to a lot of older members for free. Venus Doom was one of them. I
got a copy, which is pretty cool. Anyway, not sure if they're a band
you'd really dig, but don't judge the band by their fans.

Yes, LaLa sent me a copy. Didn't say who sent it, just said it was a
gift. Have not heard the CD, just know one is coming and some young
people at work worship this band. Like I said, this one girl who mostly
listens to hip hop has a HIM tattoo. She wears the heartagram earrings,
has shirts, jackets, etc.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 9:30 pm

The first time I heard HIM was in the summer of 2004 when my buddy played a cover of "Wicked Games" by Chris Isaak. I thought it was funny and campy and it was before Bam had really started to promote them on MTV.

He told me that the name is a referance to Satan, as in HIM ( I guess as oppsed to God). Any truth to this? I'm sure if it is, it's only to have pimply faced teenagers buy the crap they pass off as "goth" or whatever other label they go under.

And am I the only one who thinks those heartagrams are extremely gay?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 9:37 pm

Scott, what's up with all these Hot Topic bands you've been getting recently. First it was Coheed and Cambria, now HIM. What's next, Avenged Sevenfold?
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 10:34 pm

GrandNational wrote:
He told me that the name is a referance to Satan, as in HIM ( I guess as oppsed to God).

I think Ville once joked in an interview that HIM is abreviature for His Infernal Majesty, hence the Satan reference. I dont think it is the case and he was only joking.

Anyway, for a guy who smokes 60 cigs per day Ville still has impressive voice, though I cannot say I'm much into pop-goth metal scene. I went to their concert two years ago while in Europe with my cousin (she is 16 and listens to HIM) and the arena was full of screaming girls, age 16 or younger. I felt completely out of place Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Yes, LaLa sent me a copy. Didn't say who sent it, just said it was a gift. Have not heard the CD, just know one is coming and some young people at work worship this band. Like I said, this one girl who mostly listens to hip hop has a HIM tattoo. She wears the heartagram earrings, has shirts, jackets, etc.
Hey, if you don't like it, a lot of people do want it. Doubtful it'll be considered a high-demand CD on lala anymore since I know a lot of people that don't like the band are getting them. But hey, maybe you'll dig it.

I couldn't believe what was going on with the band when they started getting popular here. I first heard them in England when I was stationed there. When I got out and came home, no one knew the band. I'd bought the HER album at the BX on base in England. Then the band popularity just exploded! I mean, to the point of almost being embarassed to wear a HIM shirt or whatever. Haha. There's a guy I know on another forum, he's from Ireland and heard of HIM back when they debuted. He has the Heartagram tattoo and is now pissed about it. Haha. Like the girl you know, people just get the tattoo because it's popular. I actually think the tattoo is kind of cool, but can't say I'd ever get one. Laughing

Anyway, send the new Ultimatum CD to Bam Margera! lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 11:16 pm

GrandNational wrote:
Scott, what's up with all these Hot Topic bands
you've been getting recently. First it was Coheed and Cambria, now HIM.
What's next, Avenged Sevenfold?

1. Don't like Avenged Sevenfold, but brontotex does.

2. Heard Coheed and Cambria on the radio. Liked it. Picked up a few of their CDs for $1.75 on LaLa.

3. Not really interested in HIM, but since LaLa is sending me a free CD by them, I thought I would ask about them.

ult
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 11:34 pm

They're pretty horrible in my opinion.

My roommate thinks they're some secret satanic cult band, but he also said that about Kiss.
Back to top Go down

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 12:02 am

What the heck is LaLa? I keep hearing everyone mention them.

About HIM - thanks for the detailed info Eyesore. I knew there had to be a reason for their popularity over here. I have to say I like what I've heard of them - but I've never gone goo-goo gah-gah and went out and bought an album.

Ult, what cd are you getting? If it's "Venus Hum" - that's supposed to be their best yet - even metal.
Back to top Go down

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 12:30 am

blackieboy wrote:
Ult, what cd are you getting? If it's "Venus Hum" - that's supposed to be their best yet - even metal.
Venus Doom. Not sure I'd call it their best, but it's very good. Not metal, though. Heavy, but not much of a metal album in the traditional sense, I should say.

GONE WITH THE SIN (Low Speed)
WINGS OF A BUTTERFLY (Medium Speed) *
RIGHT HERE IN MY ARMS (High Speed)

* That song is basically what HIM is like in general. They sometimes get a bit heavier or mellower (a lot mellower sometimes), but generally this (*) is the style.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 1:49 am

HIM is ok for the goth metal Lacuna Coil crowd. but if you are expecting a Hirax sounding album, you'd best look elsewhere.

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 2:52 am

Scott: There is a slight possibility that you might find something of your liking with this band. I can't stand them, but that is just me. I usually "hate" bands that get popular "for no reason". lol But I know you dig Sentenced, and HIM is sort of in the same vain, only less metal and more romantic goth.

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 3:00 am

Romantic goth. That's a good term for them, I think. Only, maybe romantic in an I'm-A-Vampire sense. Haha.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 3:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
Romantic goth. That's a good term for them, I think. Only, maybe romantic in an I'm-A-Vampire sense. Haha.

That's were the goth part comes in. Goth, as in gothic, actually incorporates the whole Dracula/vampire cult, amongst other themes. So when the music scene (mind you, the metal crowd wasn't the first ones) embraced that whole terminology, it also became known as goth.

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 3:26 am

Makes sense. I wasn't even thinking of it like that.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 4:16 am

I've seen a name HIMSA in rock mags any coonection to HIM?
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 4:40 am

I have their Razorblade Romance cd and I like it, very catchy, not very "heavy metal" imo though.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 5:05 am

HIM are one of my guiltiest pleasures. A bit of Love Metal never hurt anyone. However, there's a lot of stigma surrounding the band, mainly because of the fan base and that's here in Britain, so I'd hate to imagine what it's like in the US. I should really check out Venus Doom - if it's more Type O styled, I'd love it.

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 9:44 am

HIM, His Infernal Majesty, I bought "Razorblade Romance" and found it to be pretty forgettable. Maybe one of these days I'll give it another spin.
Back to top Go down

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 11:52 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
They're pretty horrible in my opinion.

My roommate thinks they're some secret satanic cult band, but he also said that about Kiss.

:lmao:hahahahaaaa!

Yeah HIM suck but you gotta love it when people "metal stereotype" bands that have any sort of "Darkness" (uniqueness) about them.
I remember one of my best friends in junior school used to be big into bands like Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath etc, but then he just stopped and starting listening to Robbie Williams and Take That and sh*t. Haven't spoken to him for a while.
I do recall some of his funny remarks;
Me: Ever listen to Steppenwolf, Chris?
Chris: Nah, Steppenwolf geez, dirty big metalhead bastards.

Chris: you know Paul, I would actually say that Take That's "Shine" is musically better than anything Metallica have ever done.

Me (to another person): ...I had a dream I was brother-in-law with Scott Ian from Anthrax
Chris: (rolling his eyes) Jesus, metalhead bastard
Back to top Go down

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 11:57 am

troublezone wrote:
I've seen a name HIMSA in rock mags any coonection to HIM?

No, HIMSA is a metalcore band. Extremely heavy. No relation at all.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 5:39 pm

GrandNational wrote:
And am I the only one who thinks those heartagrams are extremely gay?

I'm with you on that, I don't want to knock the band or anyone who listens to it but most of the people that seem to sport those heartagrams or wear the HIM t-shirts seem like teenage posers that are trying to be unique by dressing up like everyone else. I personally have never heard thier music before so I can't comment on that. Usually I try to avoid bands that are hyped up like that (unless I hear them by accident, that's how I became a fan of Dragonforce and Trivium).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitimeFri Sep 28, 2007 5:49 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong - the heartagram is like the symbol of your generic 15 year old goth girl. Still doesn't detract from the bands music though.

HIM Empty
PostSubject: Re: HIM   HIM Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HIM
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: