Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bowie - Blackstar

Go down 
+6
Required Fields
chewie
muckie
Runicen
Addy
Boris2008
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 3:04 pm

I've already posted about this but discovered the David Bowie thread is in the R.I.P section (shame on us all!!)

Anyway, this is amazing, i absolutely love it. For anyone else it would probably be considered a risk but it's Bowie and it works.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeWed Dec 02, 2015 3:14 pm

David Bowie has always been a musical explorer while alot of people knock this, I see this as typical Bowie always reinventing himself. I am a major Bowie fanboy so I will definitely be picking this up when its released.
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2015 9:37 am

I loved the song and video (weird as the video is).

It reminded me a lot of the stuff that was circulating in the early '00s when you think of what Bjork and Radiohead were up to - both musically and visually. It doesn't feel like a throwback though - more like, "I'm glad someone decided to pick up this style again."

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the album when it drops.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeWed Dec 09, 2015 8:10 am

January 6th is less than a month away woot

Im glad Bowie is making music again
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2015 8:44 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I've already posted about this but discovered the David Bowie thread is in the R.I.P section (shame on us all!!).

AGREED
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Well the official release of this is 08/01/16 but I've just received notification that my preordered copy is on the way and I'll have it in my greedy mitts by Saturday!!  cheers Bowie - Blackstar 56834 crazy happy What a Face greedy
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2016 1:13 am

Boris2008 wrote:
I've already posted about this but discovered the David Bowie thread is in the R.I.P section (shame on us all!!)

For a moment I thought you said that David Bowie was R.I.P, which is not surprising. As innovative as the man is, he is up there with Mick Jagger as far as undead rock frontmen goes. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 6:02 am

Maybe it's the emotion of his passing but I honestly can't imagine hearing a better album in 2016. This record is absolutely f*cking mind blowing.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 9:02 pm

muckie wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

For a moment I thought you said that David Bowie was R.I.P, which is not surprising. As innovative as the man is, he is up there with Mick Jagger as far as undead rock frontmen goes. Laughing

That statement is spooky now..........
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28447

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2016 9:57 pm

chewie wrote:
muckie wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

That statement is spooky now..........

It sure is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 2:43 am

It's a fascinating album. Donny McCaslin is an excellent saxophonist and it's his regular group providing the backing on Blackstar. Bowie went and saw the band perform at a jazz club in New York and then contacted them a couple months later to play on his next recording project. It's a really trippy record, very experimental, but Bowie sounds completely at ease. It's not a "jazz" album but it uses a jazz approach to the arrangements. The last song on the album "I Can't Give Everything Away" is absolutely gorgeous and I love the way Bowie and McCaslin's sax are arranged.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 6:58 am

Spooky tune and video. I wonder what it's about? Seems like there is some kind of voodoo ritual symbolism going on.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 10:05 am

I've never listened to any Bowie save for his performance on Under Pressure with Queen, Space Oddity, and Moonage Daydream. I'd always meant to dig deeper but never did.

It feels weird delving into someone's discography just because they died, because in their music you can feel their life.

I probably should give the essential stuff a listen though, should I go after the artier stuff or the early glam-rock stuff?

Back to top Go down

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 10:55 am

Bowie, much like Robert Fripp is the type of artist you can not fully grasp listening to 1 album...or 5 albums...or just listen to one era....you kind of have to digest ALL of it to even begin to scratch the surface. I've been listening to Bowie for 30 years and I would still consider myself a novice.
Back to top Go down

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 10:57 am

Troublezone wrote:
Spooky tune and video. I wonder what it's about? Seems like there is some kind of voodoo ritual symbolism going on.

What it means to YOU is the important question here. The lyrics on this album are not literal, they are abstract, the listener needs to supply their own meaning.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I've never listened to any Bowie save for his performance on Under Pressure with Queen, Space Oddity, and Moonage Daydream. I'd always meant to dig deeper but never did.

It feels weird delving into someone's discography just because they died, because in their music you can feel their life.

I probably should give the essential stuff a listen though, should I go after the artier stuff or the early glam-rock stuff?

I think that as you have heard some of the more friendly stuff and never felt a pressing need to delve further then the experimental albums might be more of your thing but honestly so long as you pretend that he didn't release any records between Lets Dance and Black Tie White Noise (Okay, Tin Machine was kind of interesting, kind of) and you are prepared for the fact that Lodger is a disappointment and your good.

If I were you I would start with Blackstar but that's because I'm obsessed with it.

I really can't stop playing this. Good drum & bass has a sinister edge but this track is a maniac!
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 2:13 pm

I think I may start with Blackstar, and then try the whole Berlin trilogy after that.

And I really dug that song you posted, it gave me the same vibe as Kayo Dot's last release (Coffins on Io) actually.
Back to top Go down

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 2:34 pm

I really like the first Tin Machine album, the second one not so much.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 pm

I quite like Lodger and don't find it disappointing at all.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 11:17 am

chewie wrote:

I knew someone would defend Lodger!  lol!

It's not terrible but after Heroes & Low I think it's just a bit below par. If we wait long enough someone will defend Never Let Me Down.....................................................................Maybe not!  Wink
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
chewie wrote:

I knew someone would defend Lodger!  lol!

It's not terrible but after Heroes & Low I think it's just a bit below par. If we wait long enough someone will defend Never Let Me Down.....................................................................Maybe not!  Wink

Even though it has Frampton on it, I cannot defend that one! Smile
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2016 11:04 am

I actually checked out some tracks from Pinups, and I really dug the choice of covers he made. "I Can't Explain" was really really well done, and I quite enjoyed "See Emily Play" and "Here Comes the Night" as well.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3173

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2016 10:47 am

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 4:11 pm

Wurthless wrote:
I think I may start with Blackstar, and then try the whole Berlin trilogy after that.

And I really dug that song you posted, it gave me the same vibe as Kayo Dot's last release (Coffins on Io) actually.

From the Berlin Trilogy Id start with Low or Heroes my personal fav from that group of albums is Low, very ahead of its time.

Blackstar is an amazing record, it sounded like to me he took the same approach as he did for Reality, I love the title track, Girls Love Me, and Lazarus. Its all ive been spinning for the past week. Sad its his parting gift to us his fans.

He had hoped to have enough time to do one more album as he had demo tracked 6 songs for the follow-up.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 9:56 pm

I started out with "Heroes" and am familiarizing it with myself and I'm really digging it. It is super ahead of it's time, just how you described Low.
I really love Secret Life of Arabia especially.

Have you guys seen this before?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bowie - Blackstar Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bowie - Blackstar   Bowie - Blackstar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bowie - Blackstar
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next