Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album

Go down 
+20
Wurthless
MetalGuy71
ZombieHavoc
nevermore
Gilbert
Boris2008
thejokeriv
the sentinel
Required Fields
corplhicks
scottmitchell74
brokentulsa
ultmetal
80s Metal Lady
Witchfinder
Lari
Fat Freddy
MoonChild
James B.
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

1. "Sinner"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap27%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 27% [ 11 ]
2. "Diamonds & Rust"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap15%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 15% [ 6 ]
3. "Starbreaker"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap10%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
4. "Last Rose of Summer"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap0%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
5. "Let Us Prey/Call For The Priest"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap12%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 12% [ 5 ]
6. "Raw Deal"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap2%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
7. "Here Come the Tears"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap5%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
8. "Dissident Aggressor"
Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_lcap29%Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Vote_rcap
 29% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 41

AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Empty
PostSubject: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 10:12 am

Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album 220px-Jpsinsin

Released- April 8th, 1977
Recorded at Ramport Studios, Battersea (South London) January-February of 1977
Produced by Roger Glover

Personnel- Rob Halford – vocals, K. K. Downing – guitar, Glenn Tipton – guitar, and Ian Hill – bass guitar.
Additional musicians- Simon Phillips- Drums.

The Tunes-
1. "Sinner"
2. "Diamonds & Rust"
3. "Starbreaker"
4. "Last Rose of Summer"
5. "Let Us Prey/Call For The Priest"
6. "Raw Deal"
7. "Here Come the Tears"
8. "Dissident Aggressor"

My vote for best is "Dissident Aggressor" with "Let Us Pray/Call For The Priest" close behind. I dig "Last Rose of Summer" too.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 am

I consider this album to my all time favourite Judas Priest album.

Absolute brilliance!

Diamonds and Rust definitely could have been my fav....... but so is Dissident Aggressor, and Star Breaker, and Sinner, and Last Rose of Summer.

And so is Raw Deal, Call for the Priest, and Here Comes the Tears.

My vote goes for the obvious DISSIDENT AGGRESSOR.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 10:52 am

Sinnah, sinnah, sinnah, sinnah, SINNER!!!! headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 am

I'll go with the opener , Sinner.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:14 am

Here Come the Tears / Dissident Aggressor is an amazing tandem of songs. I voted for the former, but the latter one is probably where it's really at.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:30 am

"Sinner" for me, but the album loaded with stone cold classics. Too bad the production sucks, but that's a minor complaint.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:56 am

This is my 2nd favorite Judas Priest album (after Screaming for Vengeance, but it's very close). I'm going to have a tough time picking. The first four songs are fantastic. I used to listen to this album riding my bike to work and loved when "Starbreaker" came on. "Last Rose..." is such a cool, relaxing, kick-back song. "Diamonds & Rust" is classic, of course. I posted it on a forum mostly made of older folks who had never heard Judas Priest, and most agreed this version was better than the original.

I'l give it a few spins before voting as it's so hard to choose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Actually, the production doesn't suck, it's just a different sound than what most people are accustomed to with Priest albums...because most people my age and younger heard their later material before being exposed to this album.  But I think if you heard this at the time it was initially released it would have sounded like an improvement over the previous albums.  

I'm listening to an LP rip right now and I can tell you I prefer the sound of this record to a lot of their late 80s material (both the production and the compositions).  

This was the first Priest album I acquired.  I had seen their music video for You've Got Another Thing Comin' and it was on my "want list", but prior to picking it up I found a copy of Sin After Sin at a yard sale for $1.  While initially a bit of an adjustment as it didn't quite sound like I expected, I ended up falling in love with the album and played it constantly.

I voted for Let Us Pray/Call For The Priest, I just love those "guitar orchestra" sections...Brian May should be proud.

Sin After Sin would easily make my Top 5 Judas Priest albums.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 12:54 pm

All of them! Love this album from front to back including Last Rose of Summer that so many people seem to dislike.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 1:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
Actually, the production doesn't suck, it's just a different sound than what most people are accustomed to with Priest albums...because most people my age and younger heard their later material before being exposed to this album.  But I think if you heard this at the time it was initially released it would have sounded like an improvement over the previous albums.  

I'm listening to an LP rip right now and I can tell you I prefer the sound of this record to a lot of their late 80s material (both the production and the compositions).  

This was the first Priest album I acquired.  I had seen their music video for You've Got Another Thing Comin' and it was on my "want list", but prior to picking it up I found a copy of Sin After Sin at a yard sale for $1.  While initially a bit of an adjustment as it didn't quite sound like I expected, I ended up falling in love with the album and played it constantly.

I voted for Let Us Pray/Call For The Priest, I just love those "guitar orchestra" sections...Brian May should be proud.

Sin After Sin would easily make my Top 5 Judas Priest albums.  

It sounds anemic to me, but Rocka-Rolla and Sad Wings don't. I can't explain that, but it's probably because I heard the Unleashed versions first.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 2:14 pm

"Starbreaker"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

It sounds anemic to me, but Rocka-Rolla and Sad Wings don't. I can't explain that, but it's probably because I heard the Unleashed versions first.

Unleashed In The East with its much more aggressive guitar sound makes most of this material sound anemic in direct comparison...but judging the albums solely on their own merits I still enjoy them.  

On this album I prefer the studio version of Sinner to the live album (the mid-section works better for me) but this reading of Diamonds & Rust doesn't hold a candle to the Unleashed version.  

Since most of the rest of the material wasn't duplicated (well, except for Starbreaker showing up years after the fact) I don't have the same problem with Sin After Sin as I do with Sad Wings, where half of the album was performed on Unleashed.

Last edited by S.D. on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 2:29 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
"Starbreaker"

Would have got my vote................. headbanger
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 5:08 pm

I like Starbreaker, though other songs rank high as well.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm

I never cared much for Sinner. A little too long for what it is.

But I basically just love side two of this album, tracks 5 to 8 on the CD.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 7:17 pm

Call for the Priest baby!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 7:20 pm

It varies with the day, but I went with Let Us Prey/Call for the Priest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Can't go wrong there, brother. Btw, "Raw Deal" is such an underrated song.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:06 pm

Fantastic album, but went with dinner. Diamonds and rust is great but the unleashed version is the ultimate version of the track.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 2:19 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Fantastic album, but went with dinner.

Was it tasty? Wink cheers
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 4:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
All of them! Love this album from front to back including Last Rose of Summer that so many people seem to dislike.

I'm with Ult on this, there is nothing not to love about this record.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 8:28 pm

Decided on "Diamonds & Rust" as several people mentioned voting for "Starbreaker." "Sinner" and "Last Rose..." go on a bit. Seeing the vote results so far, I kinda wish I'd voted for "Last Rose..." as I really like it, but it's so repetitive at the end.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 9:01 pm

I see Sinner is winning. I still feel it's overrated. It also hasn't aged that well. The sound is a little dated. It's trying to be angry and aggressive, when with that sound it's just not having an effect on the modern ear accustomed to thrash metal.

Dissident Aggressor doesn't try anything. It has an actual mean riff. Sound is irrelevant. You could play it on an ukulele and it would slay.

I don't want to be a hater. I just don't agree with the result of the vote. Just like I didn't agree with the Ripper being so great - Sad Wings has many better songs.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 10:27 pm

diamonds and rust
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Dissident Aggressor!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album   Best tune on JP's 'Sin After Sin" album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next