Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eagles Of Death Metal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Eagles Of Death Metal Empty
PostSubject: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 6:52 pm

I've got a $10 Amazon credit burning a hole in my account and I'm considering using it on the latest from Eagles of Death Metal called "Zipper Down". I love the song below (reminds me of Shriekback) but I listened to some other tracks from earlier albums on YouTube and I'm just not sure so I'm looking for opinions from the sage members of this board.

Is the song below typical of the EoDM sound?

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 6:56 pm

It's just a goofy side project band with Josh from Kyuss/Queens Of The Stone Age. Not really something I would listen to but their stuff is generally amusing. They did a cover of "Stuck In The Middle" that I really like and changed the lyric to "stuck in the metal with you".

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 6:59 pm

This one has a cover of Duran Duran's "Save A Prayer" which is a song I've always liked anyway

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 7:06 pm

I usually listen to albums on Spotify prior to deciding whether to purchase or not, I rarely buy anything "blind" any longer.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks, I'll do that.

But I'd still like some reviews of their material because it's so "odd". Stuff like this can really strike me positively at first but sometimes it just doesn't wear well so I'd like some opinions from people who have bought this band's music. Do you still like it or did you play it for a month then shelve it?

What I've listened to on YouTube so far sounds like a mashup of Devo, Shriekback and Diablo Swing Orchestra which is about as weird an amalgamation of sounds as I've run across lately.

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2015 8:14 pm

I never bought any of their albums. It's the kind of thing I can appreciate and say "that's amusing and kind of fun" but it wasn't anything I was going to play regularly. No reflection on the quality of project, just not my cup o' joe.

Their first album came out when I was still working in a CD store and we played it quite often there, which was sufficient for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2015 10:24 am

I remember getting their first album (?) in work as a free promo and my boss handing it to me saying "Death Metal, huh? Sound like it's right up your alley".

It was not. Too goofy for me. The whole tone of the band and album felt like it was 2 guys that are too cool or hip and they are taking taking the piss out of hard rock and metal. If that makes sense.

I know there is allot that can be made fun of in the genre and generally I don't mind when bands can laugh at themselves. But when it's 2 guys that think their better than that and are doing it as a goof, it rubs me the wrong way. So f**k them.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 7:08 pm

Well...looks like this is what the band is going to be associated with forever, tragically:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/14/arts/music/bataclan-eagles-of-death-metal-band-paris.html?_r=0
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Sadly, I'm sure that's going to be the case. Sad for the band but even more sad for the people who were murdered at the concert.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm not a big fan of U2; not a hater, I think they're OK. But I think this was very cool of them. I also think it's cool that EoDM went back to France so soon after the tragedy.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/eagles-of-death-metal-triumphantly-1316404854833206.html

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 1:32 pm

While my overall opinion of the band hasn't wavered, I do admire their decision to move forward and not let the horrible actions of terrible people define them.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitimeTue Dec 08, 2015 5:44 pm

EoDM have already said they want to play at The Bataclan again as soon as it reopens.  That takes some cajones; I'm not sure I could do it.

PostSubject: Re: Eagles Of Death Metal   Eagles Of Death Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eagles Of Death Metal
Page 1 of 1