Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II

Go down 
+17
journeyman
Lari
Thrasher73
corplhicks
Boris2008
thejokeriv
Troublezone
chewie
bgsully
tohostudios
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
James B.
MetalGuy71
metalinmyveins
MoonChild
MetalRob331
21 posters

Which Guitar Players, do you prefer? Part II
A. James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, and Alex Skolnick
Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_lcap34%Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_rcap
 34% [ 10 ]
B. Brian May, David Gilmour, and Eric Clapton
Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_lcap7%Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
C. Dave Murray, Glenn Tipton, and Uli Jon Roth
Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_lcap21%Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_rcap
 21% [ 6 ]
D. Joe Perry, Ace Frehley, and Pete Townshend
Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_lcap7%Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_rcap
 7% [ 2 ]
E. Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, and Jimmy Page
Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_lcap31%Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Vote_rcap
 31% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Empty
PostSubject: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 2:13 pm

Since Group B ran away with Part 1, let's make a Part II!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 2:15 pm

I went with Group A on this one. These guys were big influences on me when I first started playing guitar.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 2:22 pm

Group C - no questions asked.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 3:04 pm

I would love to have chosen Group B because of David Gilmour (my all-time favorite lead guitarist) but alas as he was partnered with Eric Clapton I cannot in good conscious make that choice.  I like some Cream and I like Blind Faith but pretty much the rest of Clapton's career does nothing for me.  

So Group E it is.

Since this place is so 80s metal focused I'm predicting A and C will run away with the poll.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 3:13 pm

Had Joe Perry been in group E instead of Jeff Beck, I would have gone with E, but having said that, I will go with one of the two run away trains. I'll go with C
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 3:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would love to have chosen Group B because of David Gilmour (my all-time favorite lead guitarist) but alas as he was partnered with Eric Clapton I cannot in good conscious make that choice.

I felt that way about the inclusion of Pete Townsend with Joe Perry and Ace. I respect his overall genius in composing and songwriting, but I never felt much for his actual guitar playing.

I'm once again baffled by some of these groupings. I don't get how you can compare the styles of Blackmore or Page to Dave Mustaine and Skolnik or Ace Frehley with Jeff Beck.

So I went with A for Megadave and Alex in the lead positions. I tend to think of James as more of a rhythm player even if he does take lead on occasion.

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 4:03 pm

I think these lists are primarily about "influence" so Townsend is a phenomenal rhythm player and quite influential in that regard as is James Hetfield.

I don't think the intent was to focus on guitar solos, but overall influence of all aspects of the player.

Jimmy Page isn't one of my favorite lead guitarists...but he is a MONSTER rhythm and acoustic player and one of my all-time favorites for that reason alone.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 4:05 pm

S.D. wrote:
I would love to have chosen Group B because of David Gilmour (my all-time favorite lead guitarist) but alas as he was partnered with Eric Clapton I cannot in good conscious make that choice.  I like some Cream and I like Blind Faith but pretty much the rest of Clapton's career does nothing for me.  

So Group E it is.

Since this place is so 80s metal focused I'm predicting A and C will run away with the poll.

I struggled trying to find a well known guitar player who fit the mold of not being too flashy and had great tone. I was going to go with Alex Lifeson.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 6:38 pm

(E) for me cool

Uli is an odd choice to be with Tipton & Murray.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 6:54 pm

Si
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Group E for me.  Not a big Beck fan but I'm a huge Blackmore fan and I also dig Page.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39467

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:12 pm

I'll go with group A I guess.
I like May but couldn't care less about Gilmour and Clapton, Murray and Tipton are good but I really know little of Roth's work, being a huge KISS (and Ace) fan but I just can't bring myself to vote for that group considering the other players (not a big fan of them) and the last group has legendary players that aren't really my cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 7:19 pm

A.
Aside from all 3 being great guitar players; James is one of the main reasons I picked up the guitar.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Group E.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:08 pm

I went with group A. But I think Eric Peterson has more in common with Hetfield and Mustaine than Skolnick... Alex was never a riff guy. Bobby Gustafson would've been an even better choice!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:27 pm

Went with group C... Nice mix, but I would have put Blackmore in that group instead of Tipton (because he was a influence on Murray's early playing. I like the Roth connection as both Murray and Roth were heavily influence by Hendrix)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:11 pm

I went C, but all of the groups are good
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 pm

E for sure.

I always have to say this about Tipton: it's damn impressive how he, even more than K.K., developed a virtuoso technique through the 80's, adapting to the shredder scene and demand. Not that I prefer that style over his classic period, but not many guitarists coming out of the woodwork of early rock and metal found that sort of evolution. Still fascinating to me.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 3:12 am

Went with A for Mustaine and Skolknick.Hetfield does nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6328

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 5:50 am

Skolnick and Blackmore are both in my top 10, so it was between A and E. The support cast is way better for group E so there you go. E.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 6:37 am

E. B was a close runner up.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18899

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 am

A.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 11:15 am

Gilmour. Not really a fan of other two in B though.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Had to go with Mustain and Skolnick because they both have influenced me so much. Skolnick is my favorite all-time lead guitarist and Mustaine my favorite metal guitarist/songwriter overall.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 pm

A though D is hard to leave out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II    Which Guitar Players do you prefer?  Part II  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Guitar Players do you prefer? Part II
Page 1 of 1