Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NLTM updated

Go down 
+19
Vexer6
Thelemech
ZombieHavoc
Addy
Boris2008
tohostudios
mikeinfla
ultmetal
corplhicks
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
sovdat
James B.
metalinmyveins
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Eyesore
Fat Freddy
the sentinel
Required Fields
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

NLTM updated - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 11:54 am

I rest my case

Painkiller wrote:
James B. wrote:
the individual writing them likes to hear themselves talk .

1.  (translation) Talking in circles, contradicting what was stated in another post & another thread and thinks nobody notices.

2. (translation)  Elitist B/S operating under the guise that it is cool to dismiss pioneering music decades later because they discovered other bands from the same period that would have remained dead, buried & mostly forgotten if not for the internet

You do realize that it's pretty predictable what you are going to say in all your long winded paragraphs. Then it's predictable as to how you will respond, then how you will go away for awhile. Then return with more of the same...."This is wrong...do it this way....I didn't say that, that isn't what was meant....this is over-rated" reminds me of this below.

NLTM updated - Page 2 Th?&id=JN.42XFqb8uMwXA3qxftiET5w&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1

and in closing, you stated the following, "The musicians are far from drifters, as they each show effort in their playing. That's still objective

surprised two separate observations based on judgment with no factual premise and you call it "objective".   Maybe that is your problem. Even you don't understand what the hell you are talking about ?

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 12:55 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Nobody wants to read a wall of text for each album? No, people with ADD don't like to read a long review or those who don't like that band don't want to read that long of a review
You made the error of comparing a list to a review, so it's futile to continue this discussion.
James B. wrote:
You do realize that it's pretty predictable what you are going to say in all your long winded paragraphs. Then it's predictable as to how you will respond, then how you will go away for awhile. Then return with more of the same...."This is wrong...do it this way....I didn't say that, that isn't what was meant....this is over-rated" reminds me of this below.
Don't worry. This will be my last post on your forum. Have a good one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Painkiller wrote:
They can play this sort of music much more effectively than Judas Priest or Kreator. That's being objective.

No. That's also a subjective opinion.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 2:15 pm

Painkiller wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Nobody wants to read a wall of text for each album? No, people with ADD don't like to read a long review or those who don't like that band don't want to read that long of a review
You made the error of comparing a list to a review, so it's futile to continue this discussion.
James B. wrote:

Here's the thing, I see you in a certain light, but maybe that will change. Nobody is asking you to leave. Frankly I enjoy dissension, as it pertains to this place. It would be very boring here, if every person thought exactly the same way! I'll state this though, I just think the flippant remarks get in the way of things, especially when it involves quite possibly the nicest guy on the board like Fat Freddy. If people can't get a long with him on these boards, then I think people need to take a long hard look in the mirror. AND he really didn't say anything to provoke the conversation taking the turn that it did. I think you should reconsider your position and contribute to these boards in the future. You obviously have a very diverse taste in metal, you put a spotlight on the overlooked bands, you galvanize interest in those bands and I appreciate that type of stuff ! Even though I want more in a LIST (from a narrative stand point), I thought that list you put together last December was really good. I immediately went to go listen to quite a few of those albums...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Wow. Sooooo....yeah, this thread went about as well as I thought it would after I stopped paying attention. Laughing very hard

Am I the only one who's amazed at how a 30-year-old album by a band that only a handful of people in the world know exists, and even fewer still give a sh*t about, can end up creating so much drama?? Damn.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Wow. Sooooo....yeah, this thread went about as well as I thought it would after I stopped paying attention. Laughing very hard

Am I the only one who's amazed at how a 30-year-old album by a band that only a handful of people in the world know exists, and even fewer still give a sh*t about, can end up creating so much drama?? Damn.

Does anyone know if the band members themselves know that their album has this kind of attention? Would they be just as shocked as anyone? Have they commented on it?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Quote :
Does anyone know if the band members themselves know that their album has this kind of attention?

The company re-issuing their album sez that it was "remastered from the original tapes" so I guess they must have tracked down at least one of the guys. I think Stormspell sez the spiffed up new cover artwork was done by one of the band members too.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 5:49 pm

Painkiller wrote:

Nobody is trying to run you off. I am as long winded as anybody and a lot of people on this board tolerate me to various extents. Some probably block my posts as they do yours and others. No big deal there.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Hey, Painkiller's gone.

RIP Painkiller 2014-2015.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Ult's not writing objective reviews though. He's commenting on his collection, sharing his opinions with us. There's a difference.
The CD Collection & Reviews

A lot of what I've read are indeed intended to be reviews.

I think Ult would be the first to tell you that these are his thoughts and opinions on the albums he owns and listens to. Yes, they are "reviewed" as such, but seeing how he's not a professional or being paid to do so, he doesn't need to be objective in his statements.

Bingo! Sorry I didn't post the update myself this time. Life's been a little rough this year. 2015 has not been a great year so far. Almost died in March, dog died in June and my dad is on his deathbed now. Ugh!

Anyhow, excuses aside, yes, this is my CD collection. Sometimes I write 'balanced' reviews pointing out the good and the bad. Sometimes I just praise and album because I love it. Sometimes, if I really just don't like and album, I'll say so.

Part of the problem with the Killen record is how many people praise the thing and how it's become some holy grail collectible. It's just not a great record. It's garage band worthy. If I were sitting in someones garage, drinking a beer and watching these guys practice I am sure I would have enjoyed it more. However, cranking this thing up in my Mustang and expecting it to be some killer underground classic, well, it just wasn't.

Last edited by ultmetal on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 1:09 pm

Painkiller wrote:

It's almost as if anyone who has a negative opinion about Ultimatum's music will get chased out of here, regardless of how it was expressed. That's the kind of thing that makes forums very one-sided, and I will not feign compliments for anyone because they're either my friend or otherwise highly respected in a particular community. If they post something that I disagree with or don't think adds up, then I will call out such a post. I am not sorry for my opinions.

For the record, that has never happened.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Read through this whole thread. Trying to hit on the points that I missed out on. Since Painkiller said he is leaving, I don't know if there is a point or not, but I'll bite anyhow...

Painkiller wrote:
Killen's self-titled album, at least to people who generally dig into 1980s underground heavy/power/speed metal, is decent. No, it's not something that every collector should go after. Still, it's a solid album for fans of rawer metal, and I can think up far worse albums that have been given much higher praise on that same site.

I'd rather listen to Killen than Aerosmith or Kiss. Fight me!

It's all a matter of opinion Painkiller. I definitely dig 80's underground heavy/power/speed metal. There is a ton of it on my site, and much more that I have yet to add to the site, not counting all the vinyl I have. However, I disagree with nearly every point you made here about Killer. In my opinion it's not a solid album in any sense of the word. Solid usually means a good listen from beginning to end. Again, in my opinion that is definitely not the case with Killen. I found the riffs to be lifeless, the vocals to be weak and the recording to be worse than some cheap demos I have hard. Someone pointed out that I might have a different opinion if it were recorded properly with a better vocalist. That may be true. It's hard to tell because I was really forcing myself to listen to the Killen album just for the sake or commenting on it. I'll probably revisit it in time and if my opinion changes, the review will change. It wouldn't be the first time.

We don't have to agree to like everything the same. If you like Killen, that's cool. I never said other people couldn't enjoy it. It's just not my thing. I like Aerosmith and Kiss, obviously you don't.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 5:05 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Read through this whole thread. Trying to hit on the points that I missed out on. Since Painkiller said he is leaving, I don't know if there is a point or not, but I'll bite anyhow...

Painkiller wrote:
Killen's self-titled album, at least to people who generally dig into 1980s underground heavy/power/speed metal, is decent. No, it's not something that every collector should go after. Still, it's a solid album for fans of rawer metal, and I can think up far worse albums that have been given much higher praise on that same site.

I'd rather listen to Killen than Aerosmith or Kiss. Fight me!

It's all a matter of opinion Painkiller. I definitely dig 80's underground heavy/power/speed metal. There is a ton of it on my site, and much more that I have yet to add to the site, not counting all the vinyl I have. However, I disagree with nearly every point you made here about Killer. In my opinion it's not a solid album in any sense of the word. Solid usually means a good listen from beginning to end. Again, in my opinion that is definitely not the case with Killen. I found the riffs to be lifeless, the vocals to be weak and the recording to be worse than some cheap demos I have hard. Someone pointed out that I might have a different opinion if it were recorded properly with a better vocalist. That may be true. It's hard to tell because I was really forcing myself to listen to the Killen album just for the sake or commenting on it. I'll probably revisit it in time and if my opinion changes, the review will change. It wouldn't be the first time.

We don't have to agree to like everything the same. If you like Killen, that's cool. I never said other people couldn't enjoy it. It's just not my thing. I like Aerosmith and Kiss, obviously you don't.

Well, it is your site and you can enter albums any way you want. What I enjoy about NLTM is the fact that there is so much information there and it seems to be coming from a regular music lover who likes to collect and likes to tell a little bit about each album and what he (YOU) thinks about it. It isn't http://www.allmusic.com and because it isn't it is why I would go to NLTM first while wondering about metal or rock albums.

With all that said, I have NO IDEA who Killen is but I intend to go check them out now.[/b]

Last edited by mikeinfla on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Hmmm... uh no thanks. However, it looks like it has been remastered and reissued:

http://sonicagerecords.com/_shop/index.php?route=product/manufacturer/info&manufacturer_id=12

NLTM updated - Page 2 FINALKILLENCOVER-300x300

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 6:28 pm

I have to give them credit for sneaking in nearly every metal cliche possible into that cover art.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 6:40 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Hey, Painkiller's gone.

RIP Painkiller 2014-2015.

He'll be back. Probably as "Kainpiller". Or "AnginaMurderer". Or "NeuralgiaHomicidalManiac". Or maybe he'll totally surprise us and return as "UnicornsAndRainbows" but of course his posting style will give him away.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 6:57 pm

Quote :
With all that said, I have NO IDEA who Killen is

How can you be a member of this forum and not know who Killen is? I thought we'd beaten the joke pretty well into the ground around here over the past couple of years. tr00

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

How can you be a member of this forum and not know who Killen is? I thought we'd beaten the joke pretty well into the ground around here over the past couple of years. tr00

Yeah, I don't get it, you've sorta given them the maximum exposure they so richly "have never" deserved. I think you need to talk about your second favorite band more often on here Keith, and that is.....drum roll

NLTM updated - Page 2 Blackd10
NLTM updated - Page 2 Black_10
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 7:38 pm

When Painkiller posts...

NLTM updated - Page 2 Burn_her_burn_her
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
I think you need to talk about your second favorite band more often on here Keith, and that is.....drum roll
NLTM updated - Page 2 Blackd10
NLTM updated - Page 2 Black_10

Ehehehehehehehehe!!! Tr00 grimm kvlt BLACK MeTaL!!! Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Eyesore wrote:
When Painkiller posts...

"If Killen weighs the same as an iron maiden cage...they're made of metal."

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 8:36 pm

I don't think that we run jokes into the ground at all!!

NLTM updated - Page 2 2Q==
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 2:14 am

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
When Painkiller posts...

"If Killen weighs the same as an iron maiden cage...they're made of metal."  

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 5:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I don't know LOL! Maybe the name doesn't interest me so I skipped the thread, I dunno but I feel left out and need to go back and search old posts for Killen!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 20, 2015 8:29 am

Quote :

"'Ee called me a poser! Said my metal wasn't tr00!

(pause)

...I got better."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NLTM updated   NLTM updated - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NLTM updated
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next