Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Song within a song

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 11:29 pm

Anyone know of any songs where there are bits and pieces of other songs within the tune either as an opening or thrown within the song or a new song based around a theme from another one? For example, Dark Angel's Psychosexuality opens up with the riff from Misilou made famous in the Pulp Fiction soundtrack which itself is an old song from Greece. Or Mortification's Jaws of Life which rips off the Jaws theme song?

Back to top Go down

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2015 11:38 pm

The new David Gilmour single is based off the tones played before announcements at French train stations.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 12:15 am

Sacred Reich's "Surf Nicaragua" uses some of the music from the song "Wipe Out".
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 1:18 am

"Ein Heller und ein Batzen" at the beginning of "Fast As A Shark."
Back to top Go down

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 1:28 am

This happens frequently in jazz during solos, the soloist will often quote a piece of a melody during their improvisation, sometimes for comical effect (like mixing in Happy Birthday in the middle of a sax solo).

Then of course there's Scatterbrain and "Down With The Ship" which contains riffs from a ton of different songs:

Back to top Go down

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 1:32 am

The James Gang - Bomber

The instrumental mid sections contains pieces from: Ravel's "Bolero" and Vince Guaraldi's score for Cast Your Fate To The Wind

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 12:22 pm

S.D. wrote:
This happens frequently in jazz during solos, the soloist will often quote a piece of a melody during their improvisation, sometimes for comical effect (like mixing in Happy Birthday in the middle of a sax solo).  

Then of course there's Scatterbrain and "Down With The Ship" which contains riffs from a ton of different songs:

No way! I was actually telling my wife about this song last night! While we were waiting for Whitesnake to take the stage, the house music was on and it was some weird techno mash up of James Brown songs with the riff from Zep's "Whole Lotta Love" and the breakdown from "Heartbreaker" somehow worked in. When she remarked about the music I told her about Scatterbrain.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Woke Up This Morning by Alabama 3 which features loops from Howlin' Wolf.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 3:37 pm

I don't think Budgie were ever given credit for this bass riff:

Back to top Go down

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2015 4:06 pm

The Devil's Triangle by King Crimson is really a rock rearrangement of Holst's "Mars".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Song within a song Empty
PostSubject: Re: Song within a song   Song within a song Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Song within a song
Page 1 of 1