Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that have great music but...

Go down 
+10
MoonChild
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
GrandNational
mc666
scottmitchell74
the sentinel
ensiferum2k
Troublezone
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Bands that have great music but... Empty
PostSubject: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 pm

Are plagued with stupid lyrics?

1. Annihilator (love the music but c'mon guys)
2. Mortification (After Bloodworld kinda cheesy)
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 10:31 pm

rigor mortis
judas priest
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:04 pm

DIO eg. "Holy Diver" (It just doesn't make any sense at all)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:33 pm

Oh I love Dio's lyrics!

Some bands that come to mind for me:

KMFDM
Rammstein (speak English please!)
Slayer
Behemoth
Morbid Angel
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:16 am

Morty's may be cheesy, but they are "true to self" concerning Steve Rowe...the man's a believer....

If it's a good band the lyrics have to be really dumb to turn me off. As long as they aren't blatantly, overtly evil or just littered with profanity I'm OK - if it rocks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:28 am

I actually like Mortification's lyrics. They glorify God - which is awesome in my books!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:30 am

blackieboy wrote:

Slayer
Behemoth
Morbid Angel
Mad :kickbutt:

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 1:38 am

laughing

mc666 wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

Slayer
Behemoth
Morbid Angel
Mad :kickbutt:
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 1:48 am

The Scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 5:01 am

blackieboy wrote:
I actually like Mortification's lyrics. They glorify God - which is awesome in my books!

I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not slamming the gospel but the way he has been wording his lyrics are not holding up to the older stuff. I'm a believer myself and that doesn't mean i have to like every band's songs just cuz they mention Jesus. There has to be some kind of quality control especially for band's like Mort that have to work extra hard to prove themselves in a metal community.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 5:04 am

troublezone wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

I think you're getting me wrong. I'm not slamming the gospel but the way he has been wording his lyrics are not holding up to the older stuff. I'm a believer myself and that doesn't mean i have to like every band's songs just cuz they mention Jesus. There has to be some kind of quality control especially for band's like Mort that have to work extra hard to prove themselves in a metal community.

Yeah, actually I do hear you there. There have been many times I've felt very similar. I'm a pretty big Mortification fan and I have 10 of their cds. Their early stuff does seem to emulate with intelligence. Later on - they do get a bit 'cheese' with some of the stuff. "Hammer of God" has some intelligent lyrics, but their other later stuff is kinda lame lyrically speaking. I still love them though.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 7:41 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Morty's may be cheesy, but they are "true to self" concerning Steve Rowe...the man's a believer....

If it's a good band the lyrics have to be really dumb to turn me off. As long as they aren't blatantly, overtly evil or just littered with profanity I'm OK - if it rocks!

I could not agree more 🤘
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 8:04 am

troublezone wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

No doubt. Erasing the Goblin probably being the worst case. I mean, c'mon. He should have just kept it as Impaling the Goblin despite whatever other meaning it had or just completely changed the name of the song/album.

However, with Steve Rowe, I think part of enjoying the lyrics are knowing Steve's odd sense of humor.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 8:42 am

blackieboy wrote:

I got nuthin' against lyrics that glorify God, but Morty has got some seriously dumb lyrics... "Daniel Was A Mosher" anyone??
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

I got nuthin' against lyrics that glorify God, but Morty has got some seriously dumb lyrics... "Daniel Was A Mosher" anyone??

Right. Again, this is Steve's sense of humor showing through. insane
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:03 am

ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

Right. Again, this is Steve's sense of humor showing through. insane

Every magazine review I have ever read of that Mortification album picks on that song. They're like "Um... WHAT?"
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:05 am

My favourite band guys! AC/DC, ironically have stupid lyrics, but they have all the fun!
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:06 am

ensiferum2k wrote:

judas priest

Big agree on this one.

Add Kiss to my list. (I still love em tho)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:11 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
ensiferum2k wrote:

judas priest
Big agree on this one.

I hate to say it, but I agree too. Although not ALL their lyrics are dumb. They've run the gamut over the years from deep stuff like "Beyond the Realms of Death" and "Genocide" to idiocy like "Wild Nights, Hot & Crazy Days," "Hot For Love," etc.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 9:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
blackieboy wrote:

How about "Noah was a Knower". Laughing I respect what he's doing but he needs to get it together and make another lean, mean crusher like the first three records!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 11:26 am

Strapping Young Lad-On his new album 'The New Black' he has a song called You Suck! The chorus goes:

"You Suck!!!! Your F'n Suck!!!!!" over and over again. Not to mention an older song called 'Satan's Ice Cream Truck'.

I'm sure soon people will start talking about lyrics in Rhapsody Of Fire's music and other fantasy based bands. But this is a matter of opinion. If you hate fantasy then you will say their lyrics are cheesy. However, if your a fan of fantasy (like me) then the lyrics aren't nearly as cheesy (although they can be; anyone remember the narrator before Christopher Lee took over!).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:10 pm

Helloween have had their goofy moments like "Heavy Metal Hamsters" and "Rise and Fall" as well. Maybe those songs are hilarious if you're German, but they don't quite translate for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:16 pm

Sometimes when I go back and listen to allot of the hair/glam music that I loved in the 80's & 90's, it's seems really silly now. I still like it, but geez.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go put the X in sex.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 12:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Helloween have had their goofy moments like "Heavy Metal Hamsters" and "Rise and Fall" as well. Maybe those songs are hilarious if you're German, but they don't quite translate for me.

I'm not German (born and raised in Texas) but I find they're humor amusing. But again I LOVE British comedy so what do I know?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 1:45 pm

i can barely ever tell what the lyrics are in a song anyway so even if they had stupid lyrics i aint too bothered
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have great music but...   Bands that have great music but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that have great music but...
Page 1 of 1