Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation

Go down 
+5
TheGreatDuck
Boris2008
Witchfinder
80s Metal Lady
9 posters
AuthorMessage
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Empty
PostSubject: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Thought this might have been mentioned before, but I didn't notice it on this forum. I'm a big fan of Australian Crawl and Facebook "friends" with former guitarist Simon Binks. I saw a link to a story in my FB feed that there are some claims GNR's song "Sweet Child O' Mine" sounds a bit too much like Aussie Crawl's "Unpublished Critics." I've heard the Aussie Crawl song many times and "Sweet Child" never came to my mind. Thinking of how each song goes, I detect some similarities, but I've never taken much stock in that. I think there are so many songs, there is bound to be similarities now & then. It's not like a song is being listened to and copied. Binks doesn't think it's a big deal. He posted such in the link below as well as on Facebook. Singer James Reyne, however, didn't seem to dismiss the possibility of plagiarism, but made some not so nice comments about what he thought of GNR at that time (second link).  

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/sweet-child-o-mine-australian-crawl/

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2015/may/14/australian-crawl-singer-james-reyne-similarities-between-sweet-child-o-mine

Here are the songs in question:

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:13 pm

This seems overblown.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Puts Australian Crawl in the news, at least, which is cool because they were really good.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 10:18 pm

Definite similarities but not enough of them for me.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 11:28 am

I always thought the riff from SCoM was pretty similar to the middle section of Savatage's Hall of the Mountain King, actually (the part just before the solo).
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 12:13 pm

Well it does sound similar but I don't think it's that big of deal (as with most of these types of claims).
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 12:50 pm

Ha! That's pretty similar. GNR makes it sound better;  though.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 2:35 pm

bgsully wrote:
Ha! That's pretty similar. GNR makes it sound better;  though.

Agree..
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 2:39 pm

And then there's this one by Tesla also on the same label.

"Guitarist Frank Hannon later implied that Guns N' Roses had copied Tesla's earlier work, stating that a demo by Tesla called "Better Off Without You" was "'Patience' note for note."

You decide, Smile
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 2:48 pm

assault_attack wrote:

"Guitarist Frank Hannon later implied that Guns N' Roses had copied Tesla's earlier work, stating that a demo by Tesla called "Better Off Without You" was "'Patience' note for note."

You decide, Smile

Now that's some thievery!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 5:00 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
assault_attack wrote:

You decide, Smile

Now that's some thievery!

The biggest difference is no whistling.... lol!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 5:59 pm

assault_attack wrote:

You decide, Smile

Doesn't sound anything like Patience to me.

Also the only similarities to the Australian Group and the GNR song, are the chord progressions through the verse.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2015 6:58 pm

I don't see that one either unless Tesla invented the acoustic guitar lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 10:12 am

If the Australian band were going to go after GnR for plagiarism, they should've done it 25 years ago when GnR were still worth suing. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
If the Australian band were going to go after GnR for plagiarism, they should've done it 25 years ago when GnR were still worth suing. Laughing

Yeah, I don't understand why so many of these claims come out of the woodwork decades later. I don't know who started this one. I don't think it was any of the band members.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation   GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GNR "Sweet Child O' Mine" Plagiarism Accusation
Page 1 of 1