Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!

Go down 
+10
manny
80s Metal Lady
Lari
glassprison
tohostudios
Witchfinder
Eyesore
ultmetal
Gilbert
Boris2008
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Empty
PostSubject: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2015 7:39 pm

Hmm, sounds a little familiar

I don't have any problem with bands wearing their influences on their sleeve but c'mon now!!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Asomvel is a band you should check out. Pure motorhead worship.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 2:16 pm

Wow! Motorhead clones for sure.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 2:29 pm

I don't know though, I'm really liking this band.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 2:34 pm

It's not the fact that they are Motorhead clones, Studfaust are Motorhead clones and I love them. It's the fact that that song is waaay too close to Metropolis for me, it's virtually the same song!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Um...those songs sound nothing alike. surprised
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:

That's what I thought too.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 5:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's got a Motorhead sound for sure; but those two songs don't sound similar to me.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:38 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Don't get me wrong, it's got a Motorhead sound for sure; but those two songs don't sound similar to me.

It's not worth arguing about but I think that they are really similar, after you guys posted your replies I literally played the two, swapping over after a few seconds of each and the main riff, the tempo, everything sounds uncanny.

Maybe my ears need cleaning.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:42 pm

It's definitely Motorhead worship, but I didn't hear the similarities between those two songs. How about giving us some time codes for each song where you hear the plagiarism. That might help.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
It's definitely Motorhead worship, but I didn't hear the similarities between those two songs.  How about giving us some time codes for each song where you hear the plagiarism.  That might help.  

You don't think that the riff is incredibly similar? Like I say, I could be wrong but I'm not the first person to have raised the issue of the two sounding similar. I don't want to get into an actual court case over it! lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 7:06 pm

I put this "plagiarism" in the same league as Rhino Bucket and AC/DC.

That the sound was copied is obvious; I'm not sure it's actual plagiarism though.

In both cases, when the sound your band is trying to emulate is that limited to begin with, I think accusations of plagiarism are inevitable.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 7:12 pm

I don't think it's as close as all of these clowns that ripped off Riot:

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 7:27 pm

It's similar but the riff is so basic I don't have any issue with it. Here is a real case of plagiarism:

Kristy Majors and the Thrill Kills--Broken Lip (2014)

Suckerpunch--Hand Over Fist (1996)

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:31 pm

That song in the original video sounds great! Who are the Iron Lamb?

Also, that's not plagiarism. Or maybe you're not familiar with the term. It's going note for note. Those two bands just have a similar sound.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 8:47 pm

glassprison wrote:
It's similar but the riff is so basic I don't have any issue with it. Here is a real case of plagiarism:

What the f*ck? I was sure there must be a common member between the two bands, but there doesn't seem to be. How does one get away with this kind of blatant theft?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Lari wrote:
That song in the original video sounds great! Who are the Iron Lamb?

Also, that's not plagiarism. Or maybe you're not familiar with the term. It's going note for note. Those two bands just have a similar sound.

I'm quite familiar with the meaning of the word and it most certainly does not mean what you say it does.

ACCORDING TO THE MERRIAM-WEBSTER ONLINE DICTIONARY, TO "PLAGIARIZE" MEANS

to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
to use (another's production) without crediting the source
to commit literary theft
to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source

More specifically with regards to music it means "Composing a piece of music that borrows heavily from another composition."

Using an idea derived from and existing source or borrowing heavily are not the same as a carbon copy.

Oh and Riot were by  no means the originators of that riff (Moody Blues 1971 I think,  although it could have been used before then)

Last edited by Boris2008 on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 9:15 pm

Eyesore wrote:
glassprison wrote:

What the f*ck? I was sure there must be a common member between the two bands, but there doesn't seem to be. How does one get away with this kind of blatant theft?

That's quite clearly the same song! I'll bet if I could be bothered to look it would have the same credited writers, has to have.

Edit, Oh dear! It looks like this one might really end up in court because according to people in the reviews section on Amazon, they have flat out copied the whole Suckerpunch album and are trying to pass it off as their own! Rolling Eyes

Most hilarious thing i read in light of this was from the record label press blurb

There's always a special magic that takes place in the studio and on the stage when musicians from two or more different bands combine their super-powers and come up with something completely brand new

Laughing very hard

So yes, I take it back, this does beat mine hands down! lol!
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:03 pm

Quote :
That's quite clearly the same song! I'll bet if I could be bothered to look it would have the same credited writers, has to have.

Nope! There was some degree of drama stirred up about it on the Metal Sludge site last summer. The whole band left Kristy thereafter. He claimed to have written the songs during interviews. Whether he was actually given permission to record them or not, who know...
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:15 pm

I wonder how so many songs can be written without having similar riffs. It's bound to happen, right? I sometimes hear songs that remind me of others. I don't know if it is intentional ripping off or it just happens. Like that riff in Anvil's "Scenery" sounds like "Crazy Train." Black N' Blue's "Hold On To 18" reminds me of Judas Priest "Heading Out To The Highway." There is a riff in Krokus's "Axx Attack" that sounds to me a lot like Accept's "Fast As A Shark." These are, to me, more similar than the OP's example, but I'm more familiar with those songs so any similarities really stand out. I still like all of those songs and play them all often, though.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:25 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
I wonder how so many songs can be written without having similar riffs. It's bound to happen, right? I sometimes hear songs that remind me of others. I don't know if it is intentional ripping off or it just happens. Like that riff in Anvil's "Scenery" sounds like "Crazy Train." Black N' Blue's "Hold On To 18" reminds me of Judas Priest "Heading Out To The Highway." There is a riff in Krokus's "Axx Attack" that sounds to me a lot like Accept's "Fast As A Shark." These are, to me, more similar than the OP's example, but I'm more familiar with those songs so any similarities really stand out. I still like all of those songs and play them all often, though.

Yeah, I agree, the ones that are on that video do all have a similar riff but they are very different, very distinctive bands. My problem was that Iron Lung are out and out Motorhead clones already, when they then use a Motorhead riff as well it gets a little uncomfortable.

The Kristy Majors thing is just theft!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:31 pm

There are only 12 notes.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:35 pm

S.D. wrote:
There are only 12 notes.

G**damn only twelve notes, next thing you are going try to tell me that CD's are digital!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:
There are only 12 notes.

G**damn only twelve notes, next thing you are going try to tell me that CD's are digital!!!!!

What about music that has been recorded digitally and then pressed on vinyl? Does that have more notes? lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!    Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worst case of plagiarism I have ever heard!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next