Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Telling a band that their music sucks?

Go down 
+18
journeyman
Sword Of The Heretic
ultmetal
Runicen
MetalGuy71
Wayne
Gilbert
Thrasher73
stormspell
nevermore
Fat Freddy
scottmitchell74
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
metalinmyveins
Witchfinder
Boris2008
muckie
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 8:18 pm

I still LOL when I read Scott's comments about Hear in the Now Frontier. Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:

I think that Scott's example is different, all bands expect their record to be reviewed and there is nothing wrong with honesty, 

I reviewed Dangerous Toys' album Honestly.  Just because I reviewed it in person - does that make me a dick?  Just wondering.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:21 am

Never. No point in being rude. Nothing good ever comes out of it. There is a difference between honest and truthful expression and just being an a$$.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:59 am

ultmetal wrote:
Nope. Never have. I know how it feels to have someone crush your work when you had put so much time, energy and passion into it. However, I can't say that I haven't printed a review that was, uhhh, less than favorable.

Even your negative reviews arent nearly as brutal as Martin Popoff's reviews of albums which he rates a "0". He doesnt just dislike them, he pretty much writes essays on why the albums are bad. I like his metal guides, but still, those def leppard reviews he wrote, its like they ran over his cat or something.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 4:35 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

I think that Scott's example is different, all bands expect their record to be reviewed and there is nothing wrong with honesty, 

I reviewed Dangerous Toys' album Honestly.  Just because I reviewed it in person - does that make me a dick?  Just wondering.

Honestly dude, I don't know you and I wasn't there for the conversation but

"That came out of passion for the bands material and I cannot thi nk of another situation where I would do that."

That and the fact that they took it on board as constructive well meaning criticism would suggest not.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 8:17 pm

Hadley wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Nope. Never have. I know how it feels to have someone crush your work when you had put so much time, energy and passion into it. However, I can't say that I haven't printed a review that was, uhhh, less than favorable.

Even your negative reviews arent nearly as brutal as Martin Popoff's reviews of albums which he rates a "0". He doesnt just dislike them, he pretty much writes essays on why the albums are bad. I like his metal guides, but still, those def leppard reviews he wrote, its like they ran over his cat or something.

Yeah, Popoff can be an ass with his reviews, though the last time I read any (several years ago) he seemed to have mellowed our a bit. However, that wasn't the case for the metal guide I had in '97.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:03 pm

muckie wrote:
Have you guys ever told a band that their music sucked or even that you only liked certain material of theirs in the past?

we practically invented the 'how-to' manual here on HoM.

TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 2:42 am

To quote a former guitarist of mine:

"It doesn't suck, you just don't like it"

Even though he was a total hypocrite about the subject...it still holds true for me.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Telling a band that their music sucks?   Telling a band that their music sucks? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Telling a band that their music sucks?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2