Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?

Go down 
+15
scottmitchell74
Eyesore
MetalGuy71
Citanul
mikeinfla
tohostudios
Required Fields
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Boris2008
corplhicks
Fat Freddy
manny
muckie
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:26 pm

manny wrote:
Its both good and a product of its time. The album hit at the right time when woman in rock, mostly alternative rock were getting critical raves and releasing killer music.

Her music could be played on rock, alternative, and pop stations, and also a lot of women could relate to her lyrics. She was the perfect artist who came along just at the right time.

This.

Yes, a lot of those songs have been overplayed to death, but it was and is a really good album. In fact, pretty much everything she's done has been quite good. I'm a big fan.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:28 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I remember there being something of a backlash against Alanis when it was revealed that she had released several albums' worth of Debbie Gibson-esque teen pop music in her native Canada prior to suddenly becoming the Voice of 90s Feminism.

I have those albums! She was very young, but they're terrible any way you slice it. Haha. I bought them as an investment, but I missed the boat on selling them. There was a time when they were selling for hundreds on eBay. I'd get pennies today. =(

If I ever host a retro dance party, though, I'm good to go.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Required Fields wrote:
She did play one song from her teen-pop era ("Too Hot!", her most well known song from that era) live in 2005 (an acoustic version of it, anyway). She also considering including a song or two from her first two albums on a "greatest hits" compilation released, but she was talked out of doing it.

In terms of that style of music, it's a great song. Super-catchy. She's still doing it live, too, and it comes off really well, though she does treat it as a bit of a joke. I'd love to hear a proper studio version in that style, though maybe without the "Throw your hands in the air" bit. Haha.

I just realized I'm pretty lame for knowing all this shit. Laughing
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 6:38 am

I remember liking it a lot. A few female lead bands/albums escaped the 90's still a part of my collection, and Jagged Little Pill is one of them. Plus, I like her toothy, horsy face. Woo! And she got slimed on one of my favorite childhood shows!

Toho - Seems like you need a hug or a shot. Tell us how you feel! Smile
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 3:27 pm

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:14 am

I agree it was good music at the right time and certainly a product of its time. I remember a friend of mine just going apeshot for her back in the day. It seemed as though overnight he went from Scorpions, Ratt, Dokken, and Leppard to Alanis, Liz Phair, and Hole.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39580

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 10:28 am

the sentinel wrote:
It seemed as though overnight he went from Scorpions, Ratt, Dokken, and Leppard to Alanis, Liz Phair, and Hole.

Poser !! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 11:27 am

I haven't listened to "Jagged Little Pill" in a while, as it was so overplayed back in the day. I like Alanis though, as I have songs off every one of her albums up through 2008's "Flavors of Entanglement". I tend to listen to post Jagged if I ever want to hear something of hers.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 12:41 am

I love this song Flavors of Entanglement deluxe edition. It might be my favorite Alanis song. Though it's certainly not a song you'll ever hear me singing out loud. Haha.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 6:52 am

Eyesore wrote:
I love this song Flavors of Entanglement deluxe edition. It might be my favorite Alanis song. Though it's certainly not a song you'll ever hear me singing out loud. Haha.

That's a really good song. I always find it funny how certain songs are left off the original release. It's like, which dumb ass told her it was good idea to leave that song off?
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 10:35 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That's a really good song. I always find it funny how certain songs are left off the original release. It's like, which dumb ass told her it was good idea to leave that song off?

Yeah, I don't get it. This is another one:

This was a b-side to an old single. Great tune. No idea who decided it didn't belong on the album.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 7:05 pm

I had her as my starting running back, but she couldn't pick up the blitzing linebackers coming off the edge. !BOOM!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 7:58 pm

John Madden wrote:
I had her as my starting running back, but she couldn't pick up the blitzing linebackers coming off the edge. !BOOM!

!LAME!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
John Madden wrote:

!LAME!

I respectfully disagree. Since I can't stand anything by the angsty, whiny Alanis, I find that comment hilarious.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39580

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 9:02 pm

It certainly gives a hilarious mental image.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 5:13 pm

I just picked up "Havoc and Bright Lights" (2012) recently from the library. This actually might be my favorite album of hers! There really aren't radio hits here, but that's the way I like it.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Wow, I just re-read my comments in this thread and you know what?

I meant EVERY SINGLE WORD!!!   Gawd I hate her music!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25863

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 9:44 pm

It was good at the right time as well as a product of it's time. She was the perfect right in between the riot grrl movement and the Lilith Fair thing happening in the early 90's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?   Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill: Why the hype?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: