Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Metal songs based on cartoons?

Go down 
+9
ZombieHavoc
Boris2008
MetalGuy71
muckie
DallasBlack
Troublezone
glassprison
Lari
Hadley
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Metal songs based on cartoons? Empty
PostSubject: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 7:47 pm

I know this might belong in Fun and Games, but i'll post it here too. Are there any metal songs (not jokey novelty ones either) based off cartoons? All i know of are Lion's Transformers theme or that power metal band that writes songs based off My Little Pony (no, seriously). Im thinking stuff like Gargoyles, Attack on Titan, Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and the aforementioned Transformers (among others) have plenty of material that could make for good metal songs (For example, AoT is about a group of soldiers fighting literal giants, how is that NOT metal?). Pretty much every other geeky thing has metal songs based off it after all, why should cartoons be any different?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 8:01 pm

Are those based on the cartoons or the action figures?

Transformers and My Little Pony were toy lines first and foremost. Cartoons were there to just help sell them to kids.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Not that familiar with the MLP mythos, so i cant comment there, but the Lion song is definitely based on Transformers: The Movie, with references to Unicron, the "light to save us all" (when Rodimus opens the Matrix), and "when all are one". Granted, it was written for the movie, but still,,
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 9:29 pm

"Hard rock" rather than metal, but I like this one from Tesla, although when I first got the album I thought the reference was a bit odd for the song:

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Almost anything by Primus.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue May 12, 2015 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Also Tuomas of Nightwish fame has a rock opera album based off of a Scrooge McDuck story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Inspired_by_the_Life_and_Times_of_Scrooge
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Oh, in Faith No More-We Care A Lot, they mention Transformers and Garbage Pail Kids:

We Care A Lot
About the Garbage Pail Kids, they never lie
We Care A Lot
About Transformers cause there's more than meets the eye
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Metalocalypse is the epitome of this topic.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:49 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned Animetal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 11:03 am

Do comic books count? Anthrax's ode to Judge Dredd in 'I Am The Law' was the first one that popped into my mind.

Also, didn't someone recently write a concept album about Scrooge McDuck?

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 11:09 am

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 11:45 am

Not metal, but indie hip hop artist Wordburglar recorded a brilliant GI Joe themed album.

Metal songs based on cartoons? 0001997354_10

Hadley likes this post

Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 11:54 am

Oh also, speaking of Lion's Transformers, Stan Bush (the "Dare"/"The Touch" fellow from the '86 TF soundtrack) recorded an excellent song a couple of years ago that is about Transformers (video below). I heard a rumor he recorded it for one of the new TF movies, but I don't think it was used. Also, Cheap Trick do version of the TF theme...I have no idea when it was recorded (it's tacked on at the end of the Revenge of the Fallen soundtrack--not sure if it plays in the movie though?), but it is cool as hell, and the video is below.

Stan Bush:

Cheap Trick:

Hadley likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 7:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Do comic books count? Anthrax's ode to Judge Dredd in 'I Am The Law' was the first one that popped into my mind.

I heard the song Darkness Descends by Dark Angel is also about Judge Dredd.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 7:55 pm

On a side note related to this topic...

The Megadeth "Gigantour" festival is named after an old cartoon called Gigantor.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Mentioned it above. It's actually based off of a graphic novel.

And if comics count, then there is Iced Earth-The Dark Saga too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Stretching the boundaries a little bit, this compilation has a bunch of alt-rock bands covering cartoon theme songs...

Metal songs based on cartoons? Saturday_Morning

I'm particularly fond of Rev. Horton Heat's cover of 'Johnny Quest/Stop That Pidgeon' and the aforementioned Ramone's cover of 'Spiderman'.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 1:26 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Stretching the boundaries a little bit, this compilation has a bunch of alt-rock bands covering cartoon theme songs...

Metal songs based on cartoons? Saturday_Morning

I'm particularly fond of Rev. Horton Heat's cover of 'Johnny Quest/Stop That Pidgeon' and the aforementioned Ramone's cover of 'Spiderman'.

hahaha...that was the first album I thought of.  I have that one.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 3:52 pm

Stan Bush = METTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAALLLLLLL!
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3167

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 4:15 pm

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 4:36 pm

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2020 6:12 pm

Okilly Dokilly is based entirely off Ned Flanders from The Simpsons. The band even dresses like him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metal songs based on cartoons?   Metal songs based on cartoons? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal songs based on cartoons?
Page 1 of 1