Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia

Go down 
+5
bassman
nevermore
Dave the Boss
jstate
A Handful of Wayne
9 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Empty
PostSubject: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Has anyone else heard this yet? I got this over the weekend. I brought the cd with me in the car for the ride and I couldn't make it past the 2nd song. It was hard enough to make it past the first song. It's not even the music thats bad, but its a little bland sounding, My main problem is Dave DeFeis. Previous albums I think he sang pretty well. He's not one of my top vocalists at all. I think he's very limited to what he can do and when he tries to do something to sound "metal" or cool he fails. I noticed on the later albums that when he's doing this sort of shoutting thing it sounds like hes stuggling to do it and it becomes painful to listen to after a while.

This new album is probably the worst vocals I have ever heard from him. Well I shouldn't say the vocals but the things that he adds in the intros to the songs, during guitar solos, it's almost like he wants to hear himself over every imaginable part of every song. On the new album in just about every song he does this "RAWR" thing like hes a tiger or something. Then to make things worse he hits really annoying girlish scream. It was so bad I was imbarassed to even listen to this with my gf present. She started laughing and eventually so did I because it was just rediculous at how he used those sounds in every song. It was way too over done. If no one has heard any new songs yet heres the first track. Imagine hearing those sounds over and over again. I don't know if I'll be able to get through the rest of this album. If I didn't like this bands older albums I'd probably give this up.

Ugh.... I'm listening to it now and he's whispering. There's no whispering in metal Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 4:17 pm

It sounds like their trying too hard, especially as you say the vocalist. Too bad, some of their early stuff was pretty classic.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 6:08 pm

I love a lot of Virgin Steele's earlier stuff but this makes me glad I haven't kept up on their later stuff. My big problem with this track is it seems about five minutes too long.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Thats also another thing about the songs being too long. A lot of bands are guilty of doing that so I can forgive them for that. I just can't forgive the vocals they make me cringe on this album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 9:24 am

I can imagine your problems with the vocals, but personally, I absolutely love this album. There isn't a weak song on their, and this might just be one of my favorite VS albums already.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

I'm going to try and listen to the rest of the album maybe tomorrow. They really never dissapointed me until the last album which wasn't bad but, being a drummer having fake drums on albums really bugs me. I have no idea why they are even using them. The drummer seemed to be really pationate about playing on a real kit after the last album, which led me to believe they would use one for this new album. I'm guessing that their recording studio is in his house and it would be too loud to record drums there. They actually live in my area wish I knew where though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 7:08 pm

I haven't heard this. I have read some not so flattering reviews of this album.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 11:48 pm

I can't believe Defeis has fallen so far, the song he did on AVANTASIA'S The Metal Opera was one of the top three songs on that release. He must just be trying too hard to sound like a badass, if he's not careful he'll blow his throat and then what's he gonna do,huh?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 1:22 pm

Exactly.

Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 7:17 pm

I liked Virgin Steele back in the day, but this makes me think I'll be skipping this one....

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40559

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:36 pm

I don't think that sounds too bad. It sounds like what Virgin Steele's been putting out on the last few albums. I'd pick it up.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 am

Heard a couple of samples. Did nothing for me.

So i'm skipping...
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
I can imagine your problems with the vocals, but personally, I absolutely love this album. There isn't a weak song on their, and this might just be one of my favorite VS albums already.

+1.
Also dont expect anybody not really into metal liking this album or any VIRGIN STEELE. They are a band for the real metalheads and not for gilfriends that has nothing to do with metal (i guess she doesnt).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia   Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele The Black Light Bacchanalia
Page 1 of 1