Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Musician Royalties on Reissues

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Musician Royalties on Reissues Empty
PostSubject: Musician Royalties on Reissues   Musician Royalties on Reissues Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 8:56 am

This is a question that popped into my head the other day and I imagine there would be a person or two on here who can satisfy my curiosity.

A few years back, they re-wrote the copyright laws in the EU. My understanding is that the portion of copyright law which applied to recorded works (as opposed to the written song, etc.) and which paid out to musicians who only PLAYED on a given recording was modified to only last for something like 35-40 years.

At the time this was being considered, Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull came out against it on the grounds that previous members of the band who were still living but no longer making music relied upon those royalties for income and would be robbed of it.

Fast forward, the change went through and we're now seeing a wave of reissues of earlier Jethro Tull material (wonderfully done, at that). My question is this: does that clock for this older material "reset" if it is remastered/remixed and re-released? I had a moment of idle curiosity as to whether Anderson had been pushing for catalog reissues to rectify lost income for those earlier incarnations of the band or if other bands are doing their own reissues for similar reasons.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Musician Royalties on Reissues   Musician Royalties on Reissues Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 12:43 pm

I don't think it does. I think it starts from the date of original issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Musician Royalties on Reissues   Musician Royalties on Reissues Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 3:55 pm

Date of the original recording, not a reissue, remix or remaster...because in all those cases they are still using the original recording.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Musician Royalties on Reissues   Musician Royalties on Reissues Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Musician Royalties on Reissues
Page 1 of 1