Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shok Paris

Go down 
+8
DeathCult
glassprison
BearOnUnicycle
Required Fields
tohostudios
James B.
Witchfinder
12 posters

What's your favorite Shok Paris album?
Go for the Throat
Shok Paris Vote_lcap24%Shok Paris Vote_rcap
 24% [ 4 ]
Steel and Starlight
Shok Paris Vote_lcap76%Shok Paris Vote_rcap
 76% [ 13 ]
Concrete Killers
Shok Paris Vote_lcap0%Shok Paris Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 am

Any fans of Shok Paris here? I got into them back in 2011, but mostly heard songs off the quintessential classic Steel and Starlight. The songs are written by professional musicians who chose sacrifice a little bit of technicality for memorability. Plenty of hooks to keep you addicted for months. "Fallin' for You", "Go down Fighting", and "Castle Walls" are just some of its classics. In my case, it's a flawless album.

They also released Go for the Throat in 1984 and Concrete Killers in 1989, but they're only slightly inferior to their sophomore effort. Still, "Battle Cry" and "The Heat and the Fire" are all great stuff.

Great power/heavy metal for those who actually understand what metal is. What a shame that they don't get that much acknowledgement outside of or even in their Ohio home.

Last edited by Painkiller on Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7609

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 2:25 am

Painkiller wrote:
Any fans of Shok Paris here? I got into them back in 2011, but mostly heard songs off the quintessential classic Steel and Starlight. The songs are written by professional musicians who chose sacrifice a little bit of technicality for memorability. Plenty of hooks to keep you addicted for months. "Fallin' for You", "Go down Fighting", and "Castle Walls" are just some of its classics. In my case, it's a flawless album.

They also released Go for the Throat in 1984 and Concrete Killers in 1989, but they're only slightly inferior to their sophomore effort. Still, "Battle Cry" and "The Heat and the Fire" are all great stuff.

Great power/heavy metal for those who actually understand what metal is. What a shame that they don't get that much acknowledgement outside of or even in their Ohio home.

I'm a fan, and my favorite is Go For The Throat, but only by the slimmest of margins over Steel and Starlight.  I got into them back in the mid 80s, and I am from Ohio, but I am from the opposite end of the state from where Shok Paris was from.  They were fairly well known in the state at that time, and I thought they had a real shot at success when they signed to IRS Records. Unfortunately they could never really break through.  Vic Hix was always the highlight for me with his powerful vocal delivery.  I also enjoy Vic's band Aftershok.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 2:43 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I'm a fan, and my favorite is Go For The Throat, but only by the slimmest of margins over Steel and Starlight. I got into them back in the mid 80s, and I am from Ohio, but I am from the opposite end of the state from where Shok Paris was from. They were fairly well known in the state at that time, and I thought they had a real shot at success when they signed to IRS Records. Unfortunately they could never really break through. Vic Hix was always the highlight for me with his powerful vocal delivery. I also enjoy Vic's band Aftershok.
"Caged Tiger" and "Run but Don't Hide" are some of my all-time favorites. I just love that rock-heavy sound. My Auburn Records reissue CD contains the 1983 version of "Go down Fighting" with their other vocalist and the original version of "Streets of Pleasure" that belonged to a 1985 compilation. Both songs are alright, but they've improved significantly after being re-recorded for Steel and Starlight. "Streets of Pleasure" is only exclusive to its CD pressings, and I have a longbox of the album in mint condition.

Vic Hix is a beast on the microphone. I really think he has his own style. You could probably compare him to Ronnie James Dio or Minoru Niihara, but he'd still come out on top as an original. His work in Aftershok seems promising, but I'll wait until I get the actual albums to listen to them in full. Likewise, I'm hoping I can find a good copy of Concrete Killers soon.

By the way, do you know when they'll release their long-awaited album? I'm curious to hear what new songs they've penned down. I'm curious to check out "Those Eyes", but I can't find it anywhere. Have you heard it?

It'd be nice to see more reissues. They're one of the best bands to come out of your state. They certainly deserve the honor of having their music more easily accessible to curious metalheads. If you love melodic metal in the same vein as Pretty Maids or Liege Lord, then I can't imagine passing out on Shok Paris.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 2:48 am

Shok Paris headbanger

Which album do you all like best ?

0-Go For The Throat

0-Steel And Starlight

0-Concrete KIllers

Much better live band than in the studio (IMHO) Saw them quite a few times in the mid/late 80's in various club circuits around the country.

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 2:55 am

James B. wrote:

Much better live band than in the studio (IMHO)  Saw them quite a few times in the mid/late 80's in various club circuits around the country.
That's pretty cool. I must imagine it was a blast. It's a shame that the only original member left is Ken Erb, because Eric Marderwald, Kel Berkshire, and Bill Sabo were integral parts of the band. I'd love to know what Jan Roll is currently up to. It looks like he recorded a demo with Martini in 1992, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Do you remember any channels that would air Shok Paris' "The Heat and the Fire" music video? Were any live performances broadcasted?
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 2:58 am

Painkiller wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
I'm a fan, and my favorite is Go For The Throat, but only by the slimmest of margins over Steel and Starlight.  I got into them back in the mid 80s, and I am from Ohio, but I am from the opposite end of the state from where Shok Paris was from.  They were fairly well known in the state at that time, and I thought they had a real shot at success when they signed to IRS Records. Unfortunately they could never really break through.  Vic Hix was always the highlight for me with his powerful vocal delivery.  I also enjoy Vic's band Aftershok.
"Caged Tiger" and "Run but Don't Hide" are some of my all-time favorites. I just love that rock-heavy sound. My Auburn Records reissue CD contains the 1983 version of "Go down Fighting" with their other vocalist and the original version of "Streets of Pleasure" that belonged to a 1985 compilation. Both songs are alright, but they've improved significantly after being re-recorded for Steel and Starlight. "Streets of Pleasure" is only exclusive to its CD pressings, and I have a longbox of the album in mint condition.

Vic Hix is a beast on the microphone. I really think he has his own style. You could probably compare him to Ronnie James Dio or Minoru Niihara, but he'd still come out on top as an original. His work in Aftershok seems promising, but I'll wait until I get the actual albums to listen to them in full. Likewise, I'm hoping I can find a good copy of Concrete Killers soon.

By the way, do you know when they'll release their long-awaited album? I'm curious to hear what new songs they've penned down. I'm curious to check out "Those Eyes", but I can't find it anywhere. Have you heard it?

It'd be nice to see more reissues. They're one of the best bands to come out of your state. They certainly deserve the honor of having their music more easily accessible to curious metalheads. If you love melodic metal in the same vein as Pretty Maids or Liege Lord, then I can't imagine passing out on Shok Paris.

I have heard "Those Eyes" and you can get a download of it over on cdbaby.com. Vic still sounds great on it. I have no idea when there new album is coming out, but I do know they are playing at Keep It True this year, and they were in the studio about 8 months ago. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing any more Shok Paris reissues. I remember when the Go For The Throat reissue came out in 2004 that they were trying to get the rights to their other two albums but not having much success. I recall that Steel and Starlight was definitely supposed to get the reissue treatment but the whole deal fell through.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 3:01 am

Painkiller wrote:
James B. wrote:

Much better live band than in the studio (IMHO)  Saw them quite a few times in the mid/late 80's in various club circuits around the country.
That's pretty cool. I must imagine it was a blast. It's a shame that the only original member left is Ken Erb, because Eric Marderwald, Kel Berkshire, and Bill Sabo were integral parts of the band. I'd love to know what Jan Roll is currently up to. It looks like he recorded a demo with Martini in 1992, but I haven't gotten around to checking it out.

Do you remember any channels that would air Shok Paris' "The Heat and the Fire" music video? Were any live performances broadcasted?

Z-Rock aired a live concert of theirs and it finally was released on CD back in 2004. I was lucky enough to score one from Auburn Records when it was released. We had Z-Rock in my town back then, but I don't remember the show from 1989.  I also never saw their video on T.V. back in the day and I watched Headbangers Ball religiously.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 3:06 am

Painkiller wrote:

Ask WF about live performances being broadcast. Even though they were on IRS, I'd still call them a regional act. I don't think I have seen that video, I don't know ?

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 3:15 am

Witchfinder wrote:
I have heard "Those Eyes" and you can get a download of it over on cdbaby.com. Vic still sounds great on it. I have no idea when there new album is coming out, but I do know they are playing at Keep It True this year, and they were in the studio about 8 months ago. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be seeing any more Shok Paris reissues. I remember when the Go For The Throat reissue came out in 2004 that they were trying to get the rights to their other two albums but not having much success. I recall that Steel and Starlight was definitely supposed to get the reissue treatment but the whole deal fell through.
Good to hear about "Those Eyes". I may just go ahead and download it.

That does suck that attempts to reissue Steel and Starlight didn't go through. Fortunately, cassette and vinyl versions are moderately priced, so anyone who's curious is recommended to look into ordering a copy. It's definitely worth the time and effort to get it.
Witchfinder wrote:
Z-Rock aired a live concert of theirs and it finally was released on CD back in 2004. I was lucky enough to score one from Auburn Records when it was released. We had Z-Rock in my town back then, but I don't remember the show from 1989. I also never saw their video on T.V. back in the day and I watched Headbangers Ball religiously.
I remember reading about that live album. Too bad that I can't find copies of it anywhere. How's the sound like?
James B. wrote:

Ask WF about live performances being broadcast. Even though they were on IRS, I'd still call them a regional act. I don't think I have seen that video, I don't know ?
Here you go:
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 3:19 am

Painkiller wrote:

Here you go:

Thanks, I already went and watched it a few minutes ago after you first brought it up.

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 3:32 am

In that case, you should probably watch it again. You missed out the part that you were watching a video.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 pm

I got into this band because of the movie The Hidden.  The opening chase sequence features "On Your Feet".

Therefore I voted for Steel and Starlight.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28414

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 8:43 pm

I like Go for the Throat the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:10 am

Love Steel and Starlight, it has such an amazing balance between melody, or memorability, and power. Other albums are good, but aside from some songs like "Caged Tiger", I don't remember much from them. Aftershok is good too.
As for the new album, these type of bands seems to only talk about how they are going to go in the studio without actually doing so. Hell, I still wait for Heir Apparent and Fifth Angel.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:20 am

I had a recording of their performance on Z-Rock somewhere, which was pretty cool, but I've yet to check out their albums...changing that today!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:44 am

I love Steel And Starlight. I got it on cassette back when it was first released. I'd like to get them all on cd (I only have Go For The Throat) eventually but their a bit pricey.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 9:24 am

Wow, good thread! I haven't thought about Shok Paris in a long time, but "Go For The Throat" is still my favorite from them. Partly because it was the first and only album I had from these guys for a long time. It really is just a great heavy metal record though. It marries the heaviness and melodic riffs of the NWOBHM with that drunk swagger of American party metal perfectly. "Concrete Killers" is a great album as well, but with a more refined power metal sound. I actually remember getting it based off of "The Heat and The Fire" video. "Steel and Starlight" I missed in the shuffle, and have still never heard the full thing. Didn't even know it existed until 2007 or so.

Is that reissue of "Go For The Throat" worth getting? I only have the Reborn Classics version that pairs it with Pantera's "Metal Magic" and it doesn't really sound all that great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 am

I made a video on YouTube a few years ago where I talk about them at one point:
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25807

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Steel And Starlight gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:43 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Wow, good thread! I haven't thought about Shok Paris in a long time, but "Go For The Throat" is still my favorite from them. Partly because it was the first and only album I had from these guys for a long time. It really is just a great heavy metal record though. It marries the heaviness and melodic riffs of the NWOBHM with that drunk swagger of American party metal perfectly. "Concrete Killers" is a great album as well, but with a more refined power metal sound. I actually remember getting it based off of "The Heat and The Fire" video. "Steel and Starlight" I missed in the shuffle, and have still never heard the full thing. Didn't even know it existed until 2007 or so.

Is that reissue of "Go For The Throat" worth getting? I only have the Reborn Classics version that pairs it with Pantera's "Metal Magic" and it doesn't really sound all that great.

You should definitely get the reissue of Go For The Throat. It was done by Auburn Records and sounds great.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 pm

The reissue of Go for the Throat was the album I reviewed in my video. I did mention Steel and Starlight, which I own on cassette (the cassette version does not have "Streets of Pleasure", which is one of the best songs on the album, unfortunately).
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 8:52 pm

I voted for Go for the Throat. I think "On Your Feet" is one of their best songs, but overall GftT is a better listen than any of their other albums. Concrete Killers is not bad, but something sounds off about it. The vocals are definitely lower, but it seems like there's something else in the mix that is also detracting from the sound they achieved on the first two.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9875

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeFri Apr 03, 2015 1:54 pm

I need to add these guys to my collection. Great music.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeSat Feb 27, 2016 8:57 am

The singer sounds like the singer for Warrior ?And a touch of Sinner's singer also - Guitar work sounds hot to me ! Over the years, have seen their name, but upon a repeated listening....they rock.....they should have been a great opening band - for KISS - esp
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitimeMon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 am

I hate to skew the voting but Steel and Starlight is the only one I own at the moment and it's ruling my CD player.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shok Paris Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shok Paris   Shok Paris Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shok Paris
Page 1 of 1