Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101

Go down 
+13
MoonChild
Lari
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Boris2008
Glower
Dark Horseman
80s Metal Lady
tohostudios
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
chewie
Witchfinder
James B.
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 11:04 am

Painkiller wrote:
James B. wrote:
I agree but we had those threads long before you showed up.  Good luck getting anybody to bring their toys over to your house to play to play by your rules.  Noble on paper, but very naïve in reality.
We can get a good start on that when you start taking discussions more seriously. Until then, your posts have no bearing on me.

Enough for you to respond.

The thing you don't get is that there really isn't much more that can be said to topics most of us have been discussing for over 30 years. I am sure you may be able to say a word or two that hasn't been beaten to death ? You take it way too personal when some don't want to engage in the manner you see fit. Life is way too short to trip on the stupid stuff.

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 am

James B. wrote:

The thing you don't get is that there really isn't much more that can be said to topics most of us have been discussing for over 30 years.  I am sure you may be able to say a word or two that hasn't been beaten to death ?  You take it way too personal when some don't want to engage in the manner you see fit.  Life is way too short to trip on the stupid stuff.
From what I've seen, most of the threads that are discussed are primarily related to popular bands. There are threads for posting recommendations, but I didn't notice that much interest in discussing a particular band that hasn't been discussed to death.

You think that there's really nothing else to talk about, but the reality is that the music is always changing. Whether you think that change is good or bad, people are always changing how they think about something.

I'm sure that a lot of the members who've been listening to music for over three decades will think that there's no longer innovation happening in metal, but I'd respectfully disagree with them on that. There are lots of up-and-coming bands in the underground that have actually impressed me. I can't really say the same for thrash metal or most heavy metal being produced nowadays, but I'm liking a lot of the recent death metal and black/thrash metal stuff coming out.

There's almost always a band out there that's trying to add something new to the table. Even if you don't think they'll make a lasting impact, their efforts to keep metal alive and well is nonetheless commendable. This isn't even a distinction by age, as I've personally spoken to metalheads your age who are constantly digging for new stuff to check out. I think the types of metalheads who benefit the most are those with universal tastes. I can easily go from listening to black/death metal to AOR-ish heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2015 11:41 am

Painkiller wrote:

You think that there's really nothing else to talk about, but the reality is that the music is always changing. Whether you think that change is good or bad, people are always changing how they think about something.

You missed the point. Thinking and wanting are two separate things. Also the aspect of whom plays a major factor as well. Not to mention the way a discussion is presented. Let the dialogue happen naturally, if it doesn't ? Oh well. Forcing it usually ends it quick.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 pm

Wow! Were you paid to do this job?? Smile

great statistics!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2016 5:39 am

Never was a big Saxon fan, sure I like the classic cuts, but not the whole lp's. They were as Ult has described them as "biker rock", and that has never really been my thing. Back in 87/88 when metal's heyday was at it's peak, I picked up "Destiny", huge disappointment! Not even biker rock, but chocked full of cheese, even a power ballad! Well, that was it for me, never checked them out again...til 05. I was getting the BWBK mags back them and they gave a great review for "Lionheart", think it may even have been album of the year, so I decided to pick it up. WOW, I was blown away! This was not biker rock, or cheese, this was killer metal! headbanger Not a filler track on it, couldn't believe how good it was...but I figured it was a diamond in the rough, so I never bothered checking further. Last September I caught their show here in town, great show, but not one song from "Lionheart", bummer! Last month or so been checking on Ult's reviews for their lp's, and decided to pick a few up. The first one to arrive was "Sacrifice", solid effort, really like it, but not quite as much as "Lionheart." Next came "Metalhead"...WOWII, this smokes! Perhaps even topping "Lionheart", man the first three cuts are absolutely killer! headbanger So I have a few more on order, hoping they are in that league...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2016 8:42 pm

candlemass wrote:
I was getting the BWBK mags back them and they gave a great review for "Lionheart", think it may even have been album of the year, so I decided to pick it up. WOW, I was blown away! This was not biker rock, or cheese, this was killer metal! headbanger Not a filler track on it, couldn't believe how good it was...but I figured it was a diamond in the rough, so I never bothered checking further. Last September I caught their show here in town, great show, but not one song from "Lionheart", bummer!

Lionheart is my favorite Saxon album. I wore a Lionheart t-shirt when I met the band last year and proclaimed it was my favorite. "Oooooh," was their response. They probably get a lot of fans telling them classics like Power & the Gory is their favorite or their latest album. I know a lot of fans love Lionheart. If you haven't yet, check out Killing Ground. Not quite as stellar as Lionheart, but it's killer nonetheless. Call to Arms is excellent, too. I wish they would play songs from Lionheart at their shows. They tend to play a couple recent tracks like "Sacrifice" and "Battering Ram" and then the rest classics.

Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 3:20 am

I don't currently have any of the "classics", and am in no hurry to reacquire them. Have "Heavy Metal Thunder" on order, sure that will suffice. Should be clear to all that from 2000 on, that has been the best version of Saxon! headbanger
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 am

candlemass wrote:
I don't currently have any of the "classics", and am in no hurry to reacquire them. Have "Heavy Metal Thunder" on order, sure that will suffice. Should be clear to all that from 2000 on, that has been the best version of Saxon! headbanger

I agree. Have you heard Killing Ground (2001)?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 9:30 am

Unleash the Beast is my favourite. In fact, check out the whole Saxon album ranking I did:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Larmer28/ranking_saxon_albums/
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 3:50 pm

Lari wrote:
Unleash the Beast is my favourite. In fact, check out the whole Saxon album ranking I did:

You have "Metalhead" ranked way too low!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 6:23 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
candlemass wrote:

I agree. Have you heard Killing Ground (2001)?

Just clips on youtube, sounds good though...all I have now are "Lionheart", "Sacrifice" and "Metalhead." Have "The Inner Sanctum", "Battering Ram" and "Heavy Metal Thunder" on order...(oh, and "Destiny", for purely a nostalgic purpose!) Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Yeah, Heavy Metal Thunder is definitely a worth while purchase if you don't already own the classic era Saxon albums. It's quite well done. And the beauty is that it's not a compilation, it's remakes with a modern sound. So in the end if you ever decide to get the original albums, then you will get different (NWOBHM) sounding versions of the tracks.

candlemass wrote:
Lari wrote:

You have "Metalhead" ranked way too low!

Metalhead is an excellent album, and there isn't much of a difference in quality between numbers 4 through 13 on my list.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 8:35 am

Saxon's post 2000 output has been simply stellar...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2016 6:14 am

Have them all now, and not disappointed w/any of them! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101   The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The story of 20 polls on the Hom: Saxon studio albums 101
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2