Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Concert: Exodus

Go down 
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Concert: Exodus Empty
PostSubject: Concert: Exodus   Concert: Exodus Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 12:58 am

Got to see the mighty Exodus with good 'ol Zetro back at the helm. It was pretty good, nothing earth-shattering like last year's Death Angel concert, but still strong and good for this pansy-ass city. I'll break it down:

VENUE: C+. Strummer's (formerly known as Starline) has been the site of a recent insurgence in extreme metal interest brewing around the city. Band like Soulfly and Cattle Decapitation have been putting this club on the map, at least in the Central Valley (remember, the music scene here is confused and nil). Problem with this is that it's just not a good place for this type of thing. It's terribly small and sells out fast (I was lucky getting my ticket), not built well for sound, and the stage is barely raised, making it difficult to see the action is you don't want to be in the pit (like me). More on the sound later.

SETLIST: B-. This was rather disappointing. While there were a good number of songs from Bonded by Blood, only two from Fabulous Disaster were showcased (guess which ones) and NONE from Pleasures of the Flesh, which is head-scratching. Even more bizarre was the limiting of songs from Blood In Blood Out to two and the inclusion of FOUR Tempo of the Damned numbers. I mean, I enjoy Tempo, it's a great album, but you'd think with Steve back they'd focus on their prime during his tenure. I was hoping for greats like Cajun Hell, Like Father Like Son, Chemikill and Death Do Us Part. But the Bonded songs sounded great, I gotta say.

CROWD: A. A mix of old and young. The old dudes are the most fun to BS with, sporting their old band shirts and sharing stories of yore. The younger kids make me proud as a lot more are getting wise to this brand of music and enjoying it with a smile on their face. One young lady was shouting all the words to Metal Command--this gave me hope for the next generation. And the pit was the most impressive and violent I've seen around here in ages.

THE BAND: A-. I gotta say, the boys were a bit lackluster and laid back, seeming tired and looking forward to getting it over with. I can't say that I blame them, though; apparently this was the final show of the tour. But Steven was amazing, not having aged a bit. He comes across like an angry Jeff Bridges, which is about as awesome as it sounds. His voice was perfect, just f*cking perfect, full of vigor and spite, on key, and just as shrill as it used to be. He was what made this whole gig worth the 30 bucks. The rest of the band was tight--at least I think so (see SOUND below). It was really great to see these guys together again.

SOUND: D-. Just awful, pure mud. There was no definition at all. The bass was a mess and the drums sounded like modulating radio static. I actually had to hear the songs in my head to follow along. The only reason this doesn't get an F is thanks to Gary's and Lee's leads making it through, and Steven's voice having some presence. Otherwise a mess of noise (unlike the crystal clear and life-affirming mix of Death Angel).

So it wasn't a show that grabbed me by the throat and made me celebrate the old guard in any tear-felt fashion, but it was still enjoyable and a great way to finally see these legends in action.
Back to top Go down

Concert: Exodus
Page 1 of 1